Sebastian Hoover, of South Branch, Potomac River
Facts and Events
Sebastian Hoover (Hover) was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 7 - Bastian Hover, 135 acres, South Branch of Potomac. Adjoining Pete Smiths. DEcember 3, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 3].
- Page 463.--25th May, 1763. Same (William Green, &c.,) to Boston Hugler, £30, 400 acres on Mill Creek, part of 1650 acres above. Delivered: Andrew Johnston, 1767. [Source: Chalkley's, Vol. 3].
- Page 465.--24th May, 1763. Same (William Green, &c.,) to Boston Hover. £15, 200 acres part of 600 patented to Wood, Russell and Green. Delivered to Andrew Johnston. [Source: Chalkley's, Vol. 3, listed consecutively with record above].
- Page 435.--16th November, 1763. George Bush ( ) and Susannah ( ) to Sebastian Hover, £94, 116 acres on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, conveyed to George by Mary Woods and Green, 29th May, 1761. Delivered: Andrew Johnston, June, 1767. [Source: Chalkley's, Vol. 3].
- Page 833.--15th March, 1765. Peter Horse to Bastian Hover, £5, 100 acres, part of 750 acres on South Fork of Potomac, between the lands of Postle Hover and Adam Strowd. Teste: Mathew Patton, John Davis. James Dyer. Delivered to Mr. Hover, March, 1786.
- Page 49 - Bastian Houver, 67 acres, South Branch of the Potomack. November 25, 1765. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 19].
- Page 340.--30th March, 1769. Adam ( ) Stroud (Strowd) and Mary ( ) to Bastian Hover, £24, 275 acres, part of 700 acres above said Hover's other line on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmac. Teste: Archibald Reaugh. Delivered to Mr. Hover. [Source: Chalkley's, Vol. 3].
- Page 196 - Bastian Hover, 89 acres, South Branch of Potomac. Adjoining Henry Stone, Mark Swadley. March 28, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 71].
- Page 226.--23d November, 1775. John Hiner, of Dunmore County, to Sebastian Hover and Gasper Taylor, on head of South Fork of Blackthorne, a branch of South Branch of Pattomack; corner tract belonging to heirs of Samuel Wilson, deceased.
- Page 41 - Bostle Hoover, 46 acres, South Fork of South Branch of the Potomac. December 15, 1783. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 112].
- 15-19: 28 September 1807. Appraisal of Sebastian Hoover. Includes mulatto man Jim, Negro man Andrew, Negro woman Mary, large Bible. Not total. Signed: John Davis, John [IC] Cowger, Jacob [X] Snider.
- 20-26: 30 September 1807. Sale Bill of Sebastian Hoover. Purchasers: Henry Amick, John Bodkin, George Caplinger, Jacob Cow, John Cowgar, Hezekiah Daggs, John Davis, Wm Douglass, George Caplinger, Jacob Cow, John Cowgar, Hezekiah Daggs, John Davis, Wm Douglass, George Erwen, George Harman, Nicholas Havenor, Peter Havenor, Michael Herold, Caty HOOVER, George HOOVER, Henry HOOVER, Jacob HOOVER, Mary HOOVER, Michael HOOVER, Sebastian HOOVER, Thomas HOOVER, William HOOVER, George How, John Jones, Hohn Keisling, Christian Leezar, Joseph Leezar, Michael McGlocklin, Henry Paulser, Abraham Pitzinbarger, George Poffingbarger, Peter Poffingbarger, Lenard Propst, John Readman, Samuel Redman, George Rexroad, Zachariah Rexrod, Christian Rolman, George Simmons, John Simmons, James Sims, Henry Smith, John Smith, Daniel Snider, Henry Snider, Christian Stone, Joseph Varner, Peter Varner, Michael Wilfond, Lmuel Wilson. Negro woman and girl [not named] to Mary HOOVER. Total: $783.18.2. Signed John Davis, clerk; Jacob HOOVER, Thomas HOOVER, admrs.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 471.--29th May, 1761. Same (Mary Wood, of Frederick, James and Moses Green, of Culpeper) to Geoge Bush, £40, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmock, 116 acres, part of 470 acres patented to Robert Green, 25th June, 1747. Delivered: Bastian Hover, September, 1763.
- Page 114.--17th February, 1762. Sebastian Hover's bond (with Francis Kirtley), as administrator of Michael Ryan.
- Page 174.--13th May, 1762. Andrew Smith's will: to wife, Mary, 1 sermon book; to children, books. Teste: Henry Banniger, Woolrick Conrod, Valentine Gile (Coil). Proved, 18th August, 1762, by Conrod. Henry Penniger qualifies administrator c. t. a., with Woolrick Conrod, Sebastian Hover. Proved, 18th November, 1762, by Valentine Coil.
- Page 325.--22d March, 1764. Sebastian (Bosten) Hover's settlement of estate of Michael Rhine (Ryan) recorded--Paid Elizabeth Hope.
- Page 452.--11th October, 1765. Felty Goil's will--(Goil vid Kyle-- Coil--Gile)--To wife, Margaret; eldest son, Gabriel; son, Jacob; son, George; son, Martin, 130 acres; to daughters Barbary and Elizabeth (unmarried). Executors, Geo. Hammer and son George. Teste: Geo. Teter, Paul Teter, George Woldridge. Proved, 19th August, 1766, by Geo. and Paul Teter. Executors qualify (George his mark), with Henry Stone and Sebastian Hover.
- Page 349.--20th November, 1770. Elizabeth Coffman's bond (with Sebasten Hover, Adam Rodeback) as administratrix of Henry Coffman.
- Page 536.--18th August, 1772. Sebastian Hover's and Mathew Patton's bond (with Jacob Nicholas, James Dyer) as administrators of Mark Swadley.
- Page 228 - James Hogg, 170 acres, Black Thorn, branch of Potomac. Adjoining Mark Swadley, Bastian Hover. July 5, 1773. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 81].
- Page 8.--18th March, 1778. Mark Swadley's estate in account with Mathew Patton and Sebastian Hover--Paid Leonard Simon, Richard Beven, John Jordan, Nicholas Seamans, Christopher Crommett, Margaret Dyche, Peter Smith, Cutlip Gabbart; received William Jordan's account; Lewis Bakers' do.
- Page 26 - Jacob Cowger, assinee of Ludwick Waggoner, 723 acres, South Fork of the Potomac. Adjoining Boston Howver, March 23, 1783. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 81].
- ↑ International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).
Help fund new features!