... John Tate, Esq., was a son of Capt. Jas. Tate who was killed in the battle of Guilford Courthouse 15, Mar. 1781, and his wife, Sarah Hall (dau of Edward Hall and Eleanor Stuart). Sarah Hall was a cousin to:
- Hon. John Brown who served three consecutive terms in the U. S. Senate from Ky. ;
- Judge Mason Brown of Ky. ;
- Hon. B. Gratz Brown, Gov. of Mo., and candidate for Vice-Pres. of the United States on the Greely ticket ;
- Hon. Jas. Brown,. U. S. Senator from New Orleans and later Minister to France;
- Jno. H. Fulton, M. C, Va.
- Hon. Alex. Stuart, Judge U. S. Court in Mo. ;
- Hon. A. H. Stuart, member of Congress from Virginia, and Sec. of Interior in Pres. Taylor's Cabinet, and
- a sister to Judge John Hall, of the Supreme Court of N. C. ...