Sergeant Samuel Wright
Facts and Events
Killed by Native Americans at Northfield, MA during King Phillip's War, Sept. 2, 1675. One of eight farmers surprised by Native Americans while at work in the woods.
- WRIGHT FAMILY HISTORY, WRIGHT STATE UNIVERSITY.
- Michael C Wright. Wright, Michael C. E-mail Regarding Genealogy of Deacon Samuel and other Early American Wrights.
- ↑ Wright, Curtis. Genealogical and Biographical Notices of Descendants of Sir John Wright of Kelvedon Hall, Essex England, in America, Thomas Wright of Wethersfield, Conn., Samuel Wright, of Northampton, Mass., 1610-1670, 1614-1665. (Carthage, Mo.: The Author, 1915), page 152.
' "He was killed by the Indians at Bloody Brook (Northfield), Mass., in 1675 when Capt. Lathrop and 84 men were ambuscaded by 700 Indians and killed." In 1831 a monument was there erected to their memory.
He ... d. Sept. 2, 1675.'
- ↑ Northampton, Hampshire, Massachusetts, United States. Vital Records of Northampton, Massachusetts: Corbin Collection Volume 1: Records of Hampshire County, Massachusetts. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2003), page 1564.
'Wright, Samuel of Springfield & Northampton
Son of Dea. Samuel Wright, 1665
Died Sept. 2 1675 at Northfield Slain by Indians'
- Stott, Clifford L. Vital Records of Springfield, Massachusetts to 1850. (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2002), 1:20.
'[torn]ell [footnote: "Samuel" written above in a different hand.] Wright joyned in marriage to [E]izabeth Burt the 24 of the 9 mon: 1653'
- Trumbull, James Russell. History of Northampton, Massachusetts, from its settlement in 1654. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971).
- ↑ Birth year estimated based on marriage date and estimated birth years of siblings.
- ↑ While Curtis Wright indicates that he was killed at the Battle of Bloody Brook (date given variously as 12 Sep, 18 Sep and 19 Sep 1675 on different web sites), the date of his death is given as 2 Sep 1675. Another source indicates that he was part of a group of 8 people when he was killed, so he likely was killed in a raid that led up to the Battle of Bloody Brook.
Help fund new features!