Facts and Events
Samuel Reed was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Virginia
Acqusition of Land:
- 1797 - Botetourt County, Samuel Reed & William Reed, patent 610 acres on Back Creek
Records of Samuel Reed in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1801--November 30, Saml. Reid and James Foster, surety. Saml. Reid, widower, and Nancy Campbell, widow of Geo. Campbell, deceased.
- Vol. 2 - Campbell vs. Reid--O. S. 247; N. S. 87--Bill, 1814. George Campbell of Augusta died, testate, leaving 5 children, viz: Robert, Mary, Jane, Betsey and Joseph, and widow Agness, enceint on a child named George. In 1801, Agness married Samuel Reed. John Purris has removed to Tennessee. Suit to settle George's estate.
Records of Samuel Reed in Botetourt County, VA
(Note: most references to Samuel Reed before 1795 in these records are apparently for Samuel Reed, Sr., this Samuel Reed's apparent father).
- 1781 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1782 - Tax List, Samuel Reed, Samuel Reed (probably Samuel Sr. and Jr.)
- 1783 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1784 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1785 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1785 - 10 August - Samual Reed, granted leave to include his lands in one survey
- 1786 - Tax List, Samuel Read & son Michael
- 1787 - 28 June, Tax List, Sam'l Read
- 1789 - 22 May, Tax List, Samuel Reid
- 1792 - 14 May, Tax List, Samuel Reid
- 1793 - 20 June, Tax List, Samuel Reid and Michael Reid
- 1794 - 5 May, Tax List, Samuel Reid and Michael Reid
- 1795 - 27 January - Marriages, Samuel Reed and Lucy Faulconer
- 1795 - 7 April, Tax List, Samuel Reid and Michael Reid
- 1796 - 23 April, Tax List, Samuel Reid
- 1797 - 10 April, Tax List, Samuel Reid
- 1797 - Samuel Reed & William Reed, patent 610 acres on Back Creek
- 1798 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1799 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1800 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1800 - 14 January, Road established from Speedwell Furnace to the Bedford line at the mouth of
Back Creek. Samuel Reed appointed Overseer of said road.