Facts and Events
Samuel Reed was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Virginia
Acqusition of Land:
- 1797 - Botetourt County, Samuel Reed & William Reed, patent 610 acres on Back Creek
Records of Samuel Reed in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1801--November 30, Saml. Reid and James Foster, surety. Saml. Reid, widower, and Nancy Campbell, widow of Geo. Campbell, deceased.
- Vol. 2 - Campbell vs. Reid--O. S. 247; N. S. 87--Bill, 1814. George Campbell of Augusta died, testate, leaving 5 children, viz: Robert, Mary, Jane, Betsey and Joseph, and widow Agness, enceint on a child named George. In 1801, Agness married Samuel Reed. John Purris has removed to Tennessee. Suit to settle George's estate.
Records of Samuel Reed in Botetourt County, VA
(Note: most references to Samuel Reed before 1795 in these records are apparently for Samuel Reed, Sr., this Samuel Reed's apparent father).
- 1781 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1782 - Tax List, Samuel Reed, Samuel Reed (probably Samuel Sr. and Jr.)
- 1783 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1784 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1785 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1785 - 10 August - Samual Reed, granted leave to include his lands in one survey
- 1786 - Tax List, Samuel Read & son Michael
- 1787 - 28 June, Tax List, Sam'l Read
- 1789 - 22 May, Tax List, Samuel Reid
- 1792 - 14 May, Tax List, Samuel Reid
- 1793 - 20 June, Tax List, Samuel Reid and Michael Reid
- 1794 - 5 May, Tax List, Samuel Reid and Michael Reid
- 1795 - 27 January - Marriages, Samuel Reed and Lucy Faulconer
- 1795 - 7 April, Tax List, Samuel Reid and Michael Reid
- 1796 - 23 April, Tax List, Samuel Reid
- 1797 - 10 April, Tax List, Samuel Reid
- 1797 - Samuel Reed & William Reed, patent 610 acres on Back Creek
- 1798 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1799 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1800 - Tax List, Samuel Reed
- 1800 - 14 January, Road established from Speedwell Furnace to the Bedford line at the mouth of
Back Creek. Samuel Reed appointed Overseer of said road.
Samuel Read (the son) moved to Scott Co., KY in 1805 or 1806. He had a son named Samuel (III) who is my ancestor, born in Botetourt in 1801, lived in Kentucky, and moved to Indiana in 1820. Samuel (II) moved on to Boone Co., Missouri in the 1830’s.