Facts and Events
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Samuel Patterson's land (Borden Tract NE (2 Tracts) 1), 238 acres, acquired from Matthew Edmiston in 1764 and 2) an adjoining tract acquired from Borden's Executors in 1776 [size not mentioned in record]) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 650.--20th June, 1764. Mathew ( ) Edmiston and Margret to Samuel Patterson, £55, 238 acres in Borden's tract, and conveyed to Mathew, 28th May, 1751; corner tract surveyed for William Smith; corner Wm. Cowden's land. Teste: Pat. Martin, James McCleerey, Jno. Mophet.
- Page 337.--23d April, 1776. Borden's executors to Samuel Patterson. Delivered to James Patterson, one of the heirs of Samuel, 11th October, 1806. Teste: William Robertson, Abraham Goodpasture, William Smith. [Note: this appears to be a deed that was delivered to James Patterson after Samuel had died].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 111.--16th November, 1766. Samuel Patterson and Martha ( ) to James Patterson, £21.16.8, 80 acres whereon said James now lives; corner James Cowdon. Delivered: J. Patterson, 16th October, 1786. [Note: Samuel appears to be selling 80 acres of his land to his brother, James Patterson in this transaction].
Records in Augusta County, VA
- Page 406.--19th November, 1751. Mathew Armstrong's bond as guardian (appointed) to Saml. Patterson, orphan of James Patterson, with surety Mathew Edmondson.
- Page 418.--30th May, 1765. Andrew Erwin's will, farmer--To wife Ann, to son Francis (unmarried), executors, entire estate. Teste: Andw. Scott, Saml. Corry, Benj. Erwin. Brother Edward and brother Francis to be overseers. Proved, 15th October, 1765, by Scott and Erwin. Executors qualify (Ann's mark ), with John King, Samuel Patterson.
- * Page 509.--15th June, 1782. William ( ) Ledgerwood to his daughters Martha Pattereon and Jean Moffett, gift of negroes. Teste: James and Elizabeth Moffett.
- Vol. 1 - OLD DEEDS, WILLS, INVENTORIES, POWERS OF ATTORNEY, ETC., TO BE FILED. - William Ledgerwood's gift to his daughters, Martha Patterson and Jean Moffett, 15th June, 1782. [Note: this record, along with the other dated 15 June 1782 above, help to prove the identity of Samuel Patterson's wife, Martha Ledgerwood, daughter of William Ledgerwood].
- Samuel Patterson Records in Chalkley's Chronicles
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.