Facts and Events
Samuel Norwood was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Samuel Norwood's land 3 Tracts (Borden Tract SW, 500 acres acquired from Francis McCoun (of his 728-acre tract, approximate location shown), 243 acres patented in 1750 & 400 acres patented in 1760) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 55.--9th April, 1746. Francis McCewn (s/b Francis McCoun), yeoman, to Samuel Norwood, yeoman, £90 current money of Virginia; 500 acres, part of same patent as D. B. 1, p. 48, on Tees Creek. Witnesses, J. Buchanan, Henry Downs, Jr.; James Robertson. Acknowledged by Francis and wife Margaret. 14th April, 1746.
- Page 799.--28th August, 1750. Benj. Borden to Samuel Norwood, 243 acres, Teas Creek; corner Hugh Cunningham; James Gillmor's corner.
- Page 193.--8th November, 1760. Same (From Borden's Executors) to Samuel Norwood, £__, 400 acres of 92100; cor. Francis McCown, bank of Kerr's Creek; cor. William Hamilton. Delivered: Wm. McKee, May, 1764.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 222.--22d November, 1746. Samuel Norwood to John Gilmer, yeoman, £130; 500 acres, part of a large tract formerly Francis McCown's land and sold to Samuel by Francis. 9th April, 1746, recorded in Augusta on Tees Creek. Witnesses, Robt. Erwin, John Carr, Hugh Martin. Acknowledged, 21st May. 1747.
- Page 857.--19th March, 1765. Samuel Norwood and Elisabeth to Robert McElhemy, blacksmith, 1150, 400 acres in Borden's tract; corner Francis McCoun's (McCown), bank of Kerr's Creek, Wm. Hamilton's land. Teste: Hugh Cunningham, John McKee, Wm. Napier. Delivered: Cap. James McDowell, February, 1769.
- Page 892.--Release of dower by Elizabeth Norwood, wife of Samuel, in deed to Robert McElhenny, 13th May, 1765. (Note: refers to previous record).
Processioning List of 1765
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 385.--1765: Processioned by Collier and McCampbell, viz: For William McCamey, for Jno. Beatty (Samuel Norrad present), for Solomon Whitley, for Wm. Gilmore, for Robt. Erwin, for Jno. McKee, for Andw. McCampbell, for Henry Kirkham, for Edward Fairies, for James Campbell, for Alex. Deal, for John Gilmore, for Moses Cunningham for Robt. Hamilton, for James McCalster, for Hugh Cunningham, for George McConne; for Wm. Moore, Michael Kirkham present; for James Young, for Robert McKelhenny, for Margery Crawford, for Saml. Todd, for Rob. Young, for James Hutton, for James Todd, for George Gibson for Alex. Collier, for Jno. Hanna, for Robt. Talford, for Robt. McHenry, for David Talford, for William Hall, for John McMurtrey, for James Davies, for Robt. McKee, for Jno. Somers, for Jno. Huston, for Jno. Wylie, for Jno. McConne, for Archd. Buchanan, for Wm. Porter, for Jno. Wieley.
Records of Samuel Norwood in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 325.--12th February, 1751. James Carr to John Betty, yeoman, 325 acres, Broad Creek, a branch of Buffalo. Teste: John McKown, Francis McCown, Samuel Norwood.
- Page 376.--19th August, 1754. John Kerr, yeoman, and Margaret (her mark) to John McKee, yeoman (signed Carr), £200, 280 acres conveyed to John Carr by Borden, 8th July, 1743, part of 92,100 acres, on Tees Creek. Teste: Samuel Norwood, James Goodfellow, Wm. Woods. Delivered to James Lockart, 17th May, 1757.
- Page 203.--8th August, 1755. John Carmichael, of Rowan County, North Carolina, yeoman, to friend Wm. Buchanan, planter, power attorney to sell land on James River on South Fork of said river, between a survey of Thos. Lewis and Richard Burton, 100 acres purchased of James Patton November, 1751. Teste: James Goodfellow and Samuel Norwood.
- Vol. 1 - APRIL 29, 1756. - (109) Robert Stevenson, claim for a bell impressed; Saml. Norwood, claim for ranging; Wm. Baskins, claim for ranging; Jeremiah Sealey, claim for ranging and provisions; George Robinson, claim for ranging; James See, claim for ranging; Henry Reaburn, claim for ranging; John Moore, claim for ranging.
- Page 535.--15th March, 1758. Borden's executors to James McKee, £5, 310 acres, part of 92100; cor. Samuel Norwood on Kerr's Creek, Jno. Wiley's line. Delivered: Wm. McKee, April, 1764.
- Vol. 1 - APRIL 14, 1758. - (143) Court of Claims--propositions and grievances: Saml. Norwood, claim for ranging and provisions expended in his Company. John Bowyer's claim for provisions delivered to John Woods, a Captain of a Company of Rangers. Andrew Hays, for ranging and provisions for his Company. Andrew Hays, for provisions to John Woods, as above. David Stuart, for ranging and provisions for his Company. Joseph Bell, for dieting soldiers. John Williams, for ranging.
- Page 322.--20th May, 1760. James Gilmore, eldest son and heir-at-law of John Gilmore, deceased, and Martha, to Thomas Gilmore, £5, 250 acres on Tees', alias Carr's, Creek; corner Jno. and Wm. Gilmore, part of 500 acres conveyed to John Gilmore, deceased, by Samuel Norwood. Sent to Thomas Gilmore, December, 1760.
- Page 94.--9th October, 1761. Francis McCown's will, farmer-wife, Margaret; sons, George and Francis; son, Malcom, the plantation formerly belonging to Mathew Young; son, James, the plantation in the Forks; daughters, Margaret, Nancy, Katrine; son, James, the plantation Saml. Norwood formerly lived on, and to pay Malcom i5 when come to age of "menuarty"; daughter, Isbell. Seven children. Executors, wife Margaret and son George. Teste: John Cunningham, Wm, McKemey John McNabb. Proved, 18th November, 1761, by the witnesses.--Margaret refuses to execute. George qualifies, with John McCown, Robt. Christian, George Moffett.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 22, 1765. - (344) Private examination Elizabeth Norwood, wife of Saml. Norwood, recorded.
- Page 271.--8th October, 1765. James McKee and Lydia ( ) to Thomas Kilpatrick, £68.10, 300 acres on Kerr's Creek; corner Samuel Norwood on Kerr's Creek, John Wiley's line. Delivered: Thomas Kilpatrick, 4th January, 1772.
- Page 303.--16th November, 1763. Blakeley Brush's bond (with Samuel Norwood, Wm. McCanless) as administrator of Richd. Brush.
- Page 251.--11th October, 1765. Borden's executors to Andrew McCampbell, 73 acres, £6, in 92,100; oak on Teas Creek; corner said McCampbell's, Hugh Cunningham's line; Samuel Norwood's corner. Teste: John Wardlaw, Andrew Hays, Andrew Hays.
- Page 435.--21st October, 1765. Sale bill recorded of William Culberts, by Wm. Gilmore, administrator, to, viz: Mary Brown, Margaret McCown, Patrick Denny, Andw. Fitzpatrick, Mary Boyls, Mary Ann Crawford, Jas. Logan, Wm. McCanless, David Guin, Jane Scot, Wm. Ooley, Jno. Selone, Jas. McCampbell, Richard McGee, Jean Muldrach, Alex. Dale, Chas. Boyles. Paid William Naper, Jannet Gilmore, Samuel Norwood, Blakeley Brush, Isabell Summers, Elizabeth Woods, Mary McCown, Sarah Davis, John Hays, Cryer of Vendue; James McNabb.