Facts and Events
Samuel Muncy was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Vol. 2 - 1749-50, March 20th--Samuel Monsey, 200 (acres), joining Jeremiah Harrison, Hil's (Hite's?), and Sheltman's, Robert McClenahan, Elinor Mountjoy; see "C," supra. July 20th, August 29th, 1750.
- Page 887.--20th May, 1765. Michael Hover and Barbara to Samuel Monsey, £25, 75 acres, part of 150 acres conveyed by George Speece, 3d February, 1760, on Linvell's Creek; corner Miller's land (part of said tract). Teste: Wm. Woods, Jno. Grattan. Delivered: Samuel Monsey, November, 1766.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 335.--17th May, 1768. Samuel Muncy and Mary ( ) Mousie (Monsey) to John Miller, Sr., £50, 75 acres, part of 150 acres conveyed by George Speere to Michael Hober, 3d February, 1760, and by Hober to Samuel Monsey, 20th May, 1765, on Linvell's Creek; corner Riddel's land, a part of same original tract. Delivered: John Miller, August, 1773.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY AND AUGUST, 1748. - Samuel Monsey vs. Joseph Harrison.--Writ 19th February, 1747.
- Page 208.--1st September, 1748. Vendue held at house of Samuel Stewart of goods of Joseph Harrison sold by Jeremiah Harrison. To Timothy Convey, Samuel Harrison, Samuel Monsey, Arthur Johnson, Abraham Smith, Tunis Wood, Samuel Hull, Edward McGinnis, Archibald Buchanan, Aaron Oliver, Ephraim Love, Solomon Turpin, Samuel Wilkey.
- Page 144.--20th February, 1750-51. Sale of personalty of Mathias Shaw, by James Nicholas, executor--Recorded 18th May, 1762, viz: Sold to Jno. Craig, Wm. Frazier, Jas. Downey, Jno. Love, David Nelson, Henry Dooley, William Craig, Bernard Man, Joseph Wait, Saml. Muncy, Joseph Muncy, Casper Faught, Owen Reed, Joseph Wait, Jacob Harmon, Jno. Stevenson, Jacob Nicholas, Peter Herman, James Beard, Cathrine Pence, Michael Cam, William Williams. 5th May, 1755--2d sale, to viz: Jacob Nicholas, Henry Dooley, David Nelson, Peter Miller, Conrad Kimsley, Catrine Shawp (3 books), Michael Cam, Francis Kirtley, Jno. Davison, Margaret Shawp, Jno. Davis, Charles Man, Joseph Cravens, Jno. Couch, Robt. Craig, Jacob Courtsious, Simon Powell, Geo. Cam, Henry Long, Evan Evans, Conrad Backfish, Patrick Wilson, Jno. Hetrick, Nicholas Brock, George, Robert, and widow Scott. By sundries received of the estate of the deceased Jacob Pence.
- Page 147.--5th April, 1751. Sale held of the estate of Jacob Pence, and settlement of estate by Peter Miller, executor of Val. Pence, who was executor of Jacob Pence, recorded 18th May, 1762. Sold to Henry Dooley, James Bartley, Wm. Craig, Jno. Fudge, James Downey, Joseph Wait, Repentance Townsend, Jacob Harman, Saml. Muncy, Robt. Hook, Danl. Love, David Loran, Wm. Beard, Johnston Hill, David Crighton; to cash. Paid Jno. Wright, Henry Perkey, Jno. Maggart, Andw. Faught, Jacob Pence. Nicholas Trout, Thos. Crawford, Archd. Huston.
- Vol. 2 - List of Delinquents - 1753-4--John Catlett, runaway; Harmoneous Dacker, gone away; Edward Hogain, gone away; Jno. Hopkins, gone away; Sam'l Munsey, runaway; Jno. Doyl, runaway; Nicolus Nut, out of County; Wm. Price, out of County; Jno. Pharis, out of County; Sam'l Patton, out of County; Jno. Rorick, to Carolina; Barned See, gone out of County; Nicolas Roberts, gone away; Luse Thompson, to Carolina; Cres Thompson, to Carolina; James Winters, gone away; Owen Wickfield, out of County; Timothy Coe, gone away; George Carevan, gone away; Chas. and Moses Dotson, out of County; Thos. Milsaps, Jr., gone away; George Malcom, runaway; Wm. McKinney. Jr., Frederick; Barned McKinney, Frederick; Jno. Posey, runaway; Benj. Posey, runaway; Thos. Roberts, gone away; Benj. Roberts, gone away; Stephen Wright, gone away; Wm. Shipman, out of County; Jeremiah Wittegay, to Carolina; Joseph Wright, runaway; Henry and Chas. William, gone away.
- Page 122.--2d October, 1761. Robert Cravens' will--Mark. Executors, wife, and son, John Cravens; wife, Mary, a negro wench called Knelly. To son William, tract called the Great Meadow, 141 acres. To daughter Mary, 124 acres she now lives on. To grandchildren, Zebulon and Robt. Harrison, 200 acres on east side Linville's Creek. To daughter Margaret Harrison. To daughter Agnes, tract she lives on. To Magee (Maggie?). To son Robert. To daughter Elizabeth Cravens. To grandson Robert Cravens, 160 acres, called Wait's Cabin, on the Creek below Joseph Cravens. To grandson John Cravens, brother of Robert above. To granddaughter Mary Black, 470 acres where Saml. Monsey lives to be sold. Nine (9) children, viz: (?) Teste: Archd. Huston, Mathew Thompson, Daniel Love. Proved, 18th May, 1762, by Archd. Huston and Danl. Love. Executors qualify, with Edward Shanklin, Andrew Erwin, Mary ( ) her mark.
- Page 293.--10th February, 1762. James McKay (McAkay) and Mary, of Frederick, to Thomas Bryan, £80, 300 acres on Linvell's Creek, part of 1200 acres patented to McKay, Green and Hite, 26th March, 1739, and by them conveyed to Robert McKay, 19th June, 1746, and by Robert devised to James by will in Augusta; John Bryan's line. Teste: Samuel Money [sic], Robert Semples, Francis ( ) McBroid. Delivered: Thomas Bryan, July, 1766.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 17, 1762. - (154) Saml. Mousey, witness to a deed. Note: likely referring to the deed above).
- Page 498.--17th March, 1767. Robert Cravens' estate settlement, by the executors, recorded--Paid Saml. Monsey (?), Rev. Alex. Miller, Wm. Logan, Robt. Belshe.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 17, 1768 - (494) Robert Belsher, vice Samuel Mousey.
- Page 293.--16th March, 1770. Nicholas Null's estate sold at vendue--To Abram Wright, Augustine Price, Henry Null, Honekil Hoofman, Paushton Ostler, Gill Price, Ponshton Hostler, John Ferrel (Terril), Hauverstine Price, Patrick Dickson, George Null, William McBush, Peter Brinninger, Windle Weaver, Francis Kirtley, Wm. Munger, Alvenious Bowyer, Samuel Muncey, Peter Bunginger, Thos. Birk, Philip Williams, Henry Bingaman. Cash from Charles Fry, John Couch. By Windle Sivers' bond, from Archibald Hughston. By Charles Rush's note, Nicholas Shirley.
- Vol. 2 - Daniel Smith's Delinquents and Supernumeraries for 1773: Martin Crawford, Jacob Keil, Jacob Miller, poor body; James Randolph, Martin Smith, James Stuart, John Coffison, John David, twice returned; John Paris, twice returned; Elijah Garton, William Hawkins, John Higgins, Edmund Harris, Benj. Kindley, John Logan, John McClure, John Trotter, Jr., Bethuel Kerse, Henry Luther, Sam'l Munsey, Skidmore Munsey, Michael Morris, George Morris, Jacob Mocks, Andrew McFerson, Mathias Rader, twice returned; Henry Runyan, Abraham Rozaman, Thomas Cleyton, Jno. Rice, Benj. Robinet, John Clark, Jno. Sutter, Jno. Davis, Robt. Smith, Wm. Matticks, Peter Cephas, George Silas, Peter Shuck, Aaron Vinsky, Jno. Wamsley, Thos. Dooley, Edward Ferrel, Troy Joseph, Benj. Wheaton, Phillip Wingot, Jacob Yarlos, John Crawney, John Waid, twice returned; John Briggs, Henry Gragg, Dennis Cohoson, John Cain, Wm. Crueshorns, Wm. Coler, Abraham Compton, Morris Custard, John Cummins, Elias Hawkins, Morris Runyan, Peter Sircle, Valentine Sevear, James Marshell, Constable; Tunis Van Pelt, twice returned; Timothy Waran, Jacob Booser, Thomas Borer Jeremiah Burns, Zachariah Bryan, Jacob Christes, Peter Vaughan, James Cunningham (blind), Charles Ramsey, Jno. Sleath, Wm. Crow, Wm. Smith, Jno. Faires, Jno. Sriver, David Hutson, Jno. Lambert, Jr., Jno. Lambert, Barnet Moise, Jonathan Watts, Francis McBride, twice returned.