m. abt. 1738
- John McMurtryabt 1739 - 1790
- Samuel McMurtryAbt 1743 - 1796
Facts and Events
John McMurtry was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Samuel and John McMurtry's land (Borden Tract SW, 292 acres, 1759) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 229.--13th August, 1759. Borden's executors to Samuel and John McMurtrey. Benjamin, Jr., agreed to sell to grantees 292 acres for £3, part of 92,100; corner to place surveyed for Wm. Hall. but now Bordin's, Young's line; corner James Young and the Brisley Hill place. Teste: James McDowell.
Disposition of Land from Botetourt County Records:
- Page 233. September 19, 1770. [sic] Samuel McMurtrey of Long Cane, North Carolina, to John Hall and James Hall. pounds. 76 acres on Bordens Run. Witnesses: William McKee, John McKee, David Wallace.
- Page 234. (Prob. abt. September 19, 1770). Samuel McMurtrey of Long Cane, South Carolina, to Hugh Weir and Mary his wife. 214 acres lying and being on Whistles Creek.
Record of Samuel McMurtry in Augusta County, VA
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 16, 1759. - (292) Martha Borden, aged fourteen, orphan of Benj. Borden, chose John Bowyer her guardian. John White, with three others, added to tithables. Saml. McMurty, aged fifteen, orphan of Alexr McMurty, chose Mathew Lyle, guardian. George and Wm. Hutcheson added to tithables. (Note: this record establishes Samuel's birthdate as abt. 1743-1744).
- Page 172.--10th February, 1761. Same (From Borden) to William Hall, £__, 150 acres of 92100; cor. Halbert McClure, Samuel McMurtry's line, Mary Anne Crawford's line. Delivered: William Hall, August, 1762.
Help fund new features!