Facts and Events
Samuel McCampbell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of Samuel McCampbell
Probated at the August court in Shelby Co., Ky., 1804.
- _____ To my beloved wife, Martha, the full, free and uninterrupted possession of mansion house, plantation, stock and profits thereto belonging during her natural life for her own use and support of the children under her charge. To my son James McCampbell the tract of land whereon he now lives, containing 250 acres. Son John McCampbell the tract whereon he now lives, containing 200 acres, with the restriction that after his brother Washington comes of age, the said John McCampbell be bound to pay him one hundred pounds. Son William the plantation I formerly lived on lying on Hickory Runn, containing 200 acres, and he is to pay when he comes of age his brother Samuel one hundred pounds. To son Andrew, the plantation, my present place of residence, containing 200 acres, after the death of his mother. To my daughter Margaret the young sorrel mare and saddles, when she marries, one feather bed with its furniture, two cows and a bureau or desk. To my daughter Jane Logan, fifty pounds, twenty-five from the home place and twenty-five from John McCampbell. To my daughter Nancy Elliott, a cow and a yearling heifer. To my daughter, Mary Lawson, five pounds.
- Signed, sealed, etc.
- SAMUEL McCAMPBELL. [SEAL]
Information on Samuel McCampbell
- The children of Samuel McCampbell and Martha Cooper:
- 1. James, b. 1769, married July 19, 1791, Margaret Logan, daughter of James and Hannah Logan. Married 2d time Jane Buchanan.
- 2. John, b. 1770, m. 1st Oct. 14, 1797, Ann Buchanan, daughter of Wm. Buchanan, m. 2d, Nov. 9, 1824, Mrs. Mary (Telford) Henderson (dau. of James Telford).
- 3. Nancy (Agnes), m. Dec. 10, 1785, William Elliott.
- 4. Mary, m. _____ Lawson.
- 5. Jane, b. June 23, 1774, m. Sept. 13, 1796, Alexander Logan; (for her children see Alexander Logan).
- 6. William, b. 1776, m. 1807 Jennie Telford.
- 7. George Washington, b. _____, m. Jan. 11, 1810, Elizabeth Telford, no children.
- 8. Samuel, b. 1785, m. Feb. 13, 1813, Rebecca Telford.
- 9. Martha, _____, married Mar. 27, 1806, Jackson Wetherford. I think Martha was by oversight left out of my copy of Samuel McCampbell's will.
- 10. Margaret _____, m. Dec. 17, 1812, James Buchanan.
- 11. Andrew _____, m. Hannah Homes.
Three brothers married three Telford sisters, daughters of John Telford and Rebecca McComb.
Help fund new features!