Facts and Events
From Goodspeed's History of Washington County, Tennessee: http://www.newrivernotes.com/tn/washgood.htm
In 1794 a new courthouse was built, and James Stuart, David Deaderick, Samuel May, Sr., John Johnston, John Sevier, Sr., William Lovely and James Carmichael were appointed to superintend its construction. This house was log, built two stories high, with the courtroom above, reached by a double flight of steps on the outside. The lower story was fitted up and used, for a time at least, as a jail. This building stood nearly upon the site of the present courthouse. It was used until 1820, when it was torn down and a brick building erected. The commissioners appointed to superintend this work were John McAllister, David Deaderick, John Chester, John Kennedy and John G. Eason.