Facts and Events
Samuel Lindsay was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 392.--19th August, 1760. Andrew Duncan and Jane ( ) to Samuel Lindsay, £100.10, 190 acres on Walker's Creek in Borden's 92100; cor. Alex. Walker; James Moore's cor. Acknowledged, 19th August.
- Page 253.--15th March, 1769. Ezekiel Morrise, only acting executor of Daniel Morrise, late of County of Bedford, deceased, to Samuel Lindsay. £16, 33 acres by patent, 3d May, 1763, on James River below mouth of Catapa Creek. Teste: Malcom Allen, William Porter. Delivered: Walter Smiley. 20th February, 1786.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 58.--15th November, 1762. Samuel ( ) Lindsey and Margrett ( ) to William Kelly, £130, 130 acres on Walker's Creek of James River, cor. Alex. Walker; James Moore's cor. Delivered: John McCown, November, 1766.
Will of Samuel Lindsay
- Written 27 September 1782
- I give all my wearing clothing to my son Matthew Lindsey
- to my Daughter Erling [Elinor] Cantley one cow
- to my Son Samuel Lindsey Jun. I give my Land on the East side Of James River where he now is in Possession of
- to my Son Walter Lindsey one cow
- to my Grandson Samuel Lindsey Son of Matthew Lindsey I give one cow
- •the Rest of my Estate I give to my Wife
- Executor: his wife Margaret
- Witnesses: John Kyle, Jane Kyle
- Will of Saml Lindsey decd was presented for a certificate of probate at the Botetourt County, Virginia April Court of 1784.
- It was proved by the oaths of John and Jane Kyle. Margaret qualified as Executrix aftering entering into a bond for 500 pounds secured by Joseph Kyle and the Rev. Adam Smyth.
[Source: Botetourt County Virginia Will Book A:204-205].
Records of Samuel Lindsay in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 202.--26th August, 1751. William Paul's will--To daughter Margaret, all estate; to son John, 5 shillings; son James, 5 shillings. Executors, Charles Hays, James Moore. Teste: James Lee, Samuel Linsey. Proved, 16th November, 1757, by the witnesses. Chas. Hays qualifies with James Trimble, Saml. Linsey.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 19, 1762. - (291) Alexr. and John Collier, Saml. Lindsay, James Clemons--jurors.
- Page 447.--5th November, 1767. Robert Sloan, of Rowan County, N. C., weaver, to Andrew Woods, £40, on Looney's Mill Creek next above, Hugh Carother's land containing 264 acres. Teste: James Young, Samuel ( ) Lindsey, Walter Lindsey, George Gillespie. Delivered: Thos. Madison.
- Vol. 2 - List of Delinquents - 1767--Mr. Skillern's list: James Capper, Ezekiel Kenedy, Sam'l Lindsey, Jr.; Wm. Napper, John Gilliland, runaway; Robert Linn, Jno. Moffett, Jno. Smith.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 15, 1768. - (469) Tithables added: Arthur McClure and one other, John Davis, Robert Allen and two others, Samuel Lindsey and two others.