Samuel Lindsay, of Augusta and Botetourt County, VA
Facts and Events
Samuel Lindsay was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 392.--19th August, 1760. Andrew Duncan and Jane ( ) to Samuel Lindsay, £100.10, 190 acres on Walker's Creek in Borden's 92100; cor. Alex. Walker; James Moore's cor. Acknowledged, 19th August.
- Page 253.--15th March, 1769. Ezekiel Morrise, only acting executor of Daniel Morrise, late of County of Bedford, deceased, to Samuel Lindsay. £16, 33 acres by patent, 3d May, 1763, on James River below mouth of Catapa Creek. Teste: Malcom Allen, William Porter. Delivered: Walter Smiley. 20th February, 1786.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 58.--15th November, 1762. Samuel ( ) Lindsey and Margrett ( ) to William Kelly, £130, 130 acres on Walker's Creek of James River, cor. Alex. Walker; James Moore's cor. Delivered: John McCown, November, 1766.
Will of Samuel Lindsay
- Written 27 September 1782
- I give all my wearing clothing to my son Matthew Lindsey
- to my Daughter Erling [Elinor] Cantley one cow
- to my Son Samuel Lindsey Jun. I give my Land on the East side Of James River where he now is in Possession of
- to my Son Walter Lindsey one cow
- to my Grandson Samuel Lindsey Son of Matthew Lindsey I give one cow
- •the Rest of my Estate I give to my Wife
- Executor: his wife Margaret
- Witnesses: John Kyle, Jane Kyle
- Will of Saml Lindsey decd was presented for a certificate of probate at the Botetourt County, Virginia April Court of 1784.
- It was proved by the oaths of John and Jane Kyle. Margaret qualified as Executrix aftering entering into a bond for 500 pounds secured by Joseph Kyle and the Rev. Adam Smyth.
- [Source: Botetourt County Virginia Will Book A:204-205].
- Minutes, Botetourt County Court, April 13, 1784.
- Last will and testament of Samuel Linsay proved by Joseph Kyle and Jean Kyle. Margaret Linsay executrix with Joseph Kyle and Revd. Adam Smyth, sureties.
- Martin McFarran, Saml. McFarran, Wm. Ritchey & Wm. Kyle appointed to appraise the estate of Sam'l. Linsay.
- USGenWeb Archives
Records of Samuel Lindsay in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 202.--26th August, 1751. William Paul's will--To daughter Margaret, all estate; to son John, 5 shillings; son James, 5 shillings. Executors, Charles Hays, James Moore. Teste: James Lee, Samuel Linsey. Proved, 16th November, 1757, by the witnesses. Chas. Hays qualifies with James Trimble, Saml. Linsey.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 19, 1762. - (291) Alexr. and John Collier, Saml. Lindsay, James Clemons--jurors.
- Page 447.--5th November, 1767. Robert Sloan, of Rowan County, N. C., weaver, to Andrew Woods, £40, on Looney's Mill Creek next above, Hugh Carother's land containing 264 acres. Teste: James Young, Samuel ( ) Lindsey, Walter Lindsey, George Gillespie. Delivered: Thos. Madison.
- Vol. 2 - List of Delinquents - 1767--Mr. Skillern's list: James Capper, Ezekiel Kenedy, Sam'l Lindsey, Jr.; Wm. Napper, John Gilliland, runaway; Robert Linn, Jno. Moffett, Jno. Smith.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 15, 1768. - (469) Tithables added: Arthur McClure and one other, John Davis, Robert Allen and two others, Samuel Lindsey and two others.