Facts and Events
Samuel Kincaid was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Samuel Kincaid's land (Beverley SW, 100 acres acquired from Adam Thompson, 16 May, 1754) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 307.--16th May, 1754. Adam Thompson, planter, to Samuel Kinkead (Kingkead), £6. 100 acres in Beverley Manor; corner Alexander Richey; Wm. McNabb's line. Delivered to Jno. Buchanan January, 1766.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 162.--27th August, 1785. Samuel Kinkead, son and heir-at-law of Samuel Kinkead, deceased, and Margaret, of Greenbrier, to Henry Eagle, of Barracks County, Penna.
Records of Samuel Kincaid in Augusta County, VA
- August 20, 1746. (72). - Report as to road from top North Mountain to Wm. King's and thence to C. H.--Robert Davis appointed overseer. The following tithables to work it: George Kill Patrick, James Young, James Young, James Mills, Robert McClellan, Andrew Pickens, Jacob Lockart, John Trishell, Hugh Young, Samuel Kinkead, William Mills, William McFeeters, James Clark, Henry Cristwell
- Page 290.--16th January in 29th year of reign (1756 ?). Commission to take acknowledgement of Elizabeth, wife of Adam Thompson, as to deed, Thompson to Samuel Kingkade, 16th May, 1754.. Executed 17th March,1756.
- MARCH 17, 1756. (33). - Elizabeth, wife of Adam Thompson, private examination. Thompson to Saml. Kingkade.
- Page 125.--28th March, 1762. John Peery's will--To Thos. Kirkpatrick, £10; to brother, James Peery; to Mary Peery and her children. Remaining time James Gilmer has to serve to be disposed of. Executors, John Kirkpatrick, John Peery. Teste: Saml. Downey, Saml. Kinkead, John Campbell. Proved, 18th May, 1762, by the witnesses. Executors qualify, with Thos. Kirkpatrick, John Jamison.
- Page 775.--19th March, 1765. Adam Dean and Eleanor, his wife, to Charles Teas, 5 sh., 310 acres on South River, part of a tract patented to Robert Turk, 6th September, 1736; corner to Robert Turk's land; corner John Patrick's line. Teste: Wm. Teas, Jno. Dean, Samuel Kinkade. Delivered: Charles Teas, September, 1766.
- 1767--Capt. Dickinson's list: Wm. Dean, runaway; Jas. Humphreys, Chas. Knight, runaway; Jos. Edwards, Sam'l and Wm. Kinkead, runaway.
- Page 412.--20th June, 1769. Andrew Thompson, son and heir of Adam Thompson, deceased, and Annie ( ) Thompson, widow and relict of Adam Thompson, to Peter Hanger, of Frederick County, sadler, £35, 187 acres, remainder of 287 acres conveyed by Beverley to said Adam, 2d March, 1749, the other 100 acres Adam sold to Samuel Kinkead. Delivered: Peter Hanger, 6th January, 1801.
- Page 122.--16th April, 1788. County Commissioners to Alex. McClenachan, lot 45, formerly sold to James Hughes; lot 46, formerly sold to George Wilson. deceased, and since sold by Samuel Kinkade, who intermarried with Elizabeth Wilson, daughter of said George Wilson, to whom lot was devised by George. (Note: this reference appears to be for Samuel Kincaid, Jr.).
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the process of periodically re-verifying and agreeing on boundaries between settlers properties. Processioning lists can be useful in showing the general area and neighbors of early settlers during a specific time period.
- Page 290.--1760: Processioned by _____ ? _____: For Robert Hamilton, for John Collier, for James Davis, for James Moore, for John Hanna, for Henry Kirkham, for Robert Young, for David Wallace, for Robert Erwm, for John McKey, for Hugh Cunningham, for John Gilmer, for Wm. McChime (McCune), for John Beatty, for Francis McCown, for John McCown, for Anne Long, for William Gilmer, for Adam Thompson, for Samuel Kinkead, for John Campbell, for Thomas Piery, for Maj. John Brown, for Robert Young, for James Young, for Samuel Young, for Hugh Young, for Robert Allen, for William Martain, for John Jamison, for Samuel Wallace, for Maurice Ofreel, for Robert Philips, for John Trimble.
Information on Samuel Kincaid
- 39100, b. circa 1707, d. 1780
Samuel Kincaid|b. c 1707\nd. 1780|p258.htm#i39100|Alexander Kincaid|b. c 1670|p252.htm#i16685||||James Kincaid|b. c 1640\nd. c 1700|p255.htm#i16642|Marion Boyd|b. c 1654|p101.htm#i39125|||||||
Father Alexander Kincaid1 b. c 1670
Relationship 1st cousin 7 times removed of Paul Edward Lawrence.
Relationship 25th great-grandson of Aykfrith.
Relationship Nephew of David Kincaid.
Samuel Kincaid was born circa 1707 in Scotland.1 He married Huldah Osborne.1 Samuel died in 1780 in Falling Spring, Alleghany Co., Virginia.1
When Charles Stuart attempted to retake the throne in 1745 and was defeated four sons of Alexander Kincaid, Samuel, George, James, and Robert, fought in ther rear guard following Stuart's retreat and were captured in the vincinity of Kincaid. They were soon rescued and put aboard a ship at Glasgow where the wives of Samuel and George were waiting. They came to America in early 1746 and went to August Co., Virginia.
Samuel settled in Beverly Manor, Augusta Co., Virginia. On 16 May 1754, he purchased a tract of one hundred acres from Adam Thompson, which was sold by his son, Samuel Jr., in 1785. In about 1765, Samuel removed to what was then Botetourt Co., later Greenbrier Co., and now Allegany Co., at Falling Springs on Jackson's River.
Samuel was automatically enrolled as a member of the militia but took not active part in its peacetime workings. However, when war was declared against England, he went to Pittsburgh in 1775, with his old friend and neighbor, Capt. John Wilson, and was wounded in the thigh while on that service. According to family tradition he never fully recovered from this wound and died in 1780. Shortly before his death, Samuel, then a widower, makes deed to his nephew and son-in-law Andrew Kincaid, of a tract he hav bought in 1771 from William Hamilton, on Jackson's River.2
- Family Huldah Osborne
- Children Thomas Kincaid 1
- Deborah Kincaid 1
- Huldar Jane Kincaid 1
- William Kincaid 1
- James Kincaid 1
- Robert Kincaid 1
- Hugh Kincaid 1
- Ann Kincaid 1
- Alexander Kincaid 1
- Samuel Kincaid Jr. b. 1734, d. 23 Jan 1819
- George Kincaid b. bt 1744 - 17461
- [S815] Ancestry World Tree Project (Ancestry Family Tree). Online http://www.ancestry.com
- [S860] Kincaid, Dr. Herbert C.. "Kincaid-Lennox-Galbraeth" to Kincaid, John William; West Virginia. copy provided by John P. Kincaid, report partially available at http://home.att.net/~jpkincaid/. Copy in researcher's file, Fairfield Glade, Tennessee.