Samuel Davis, of Borden Tract
- H. Samuel Davis, of Borden Tractest 1706-1716 -
- W. Mary (add)
m. Bef. 1764
Facts and Events
||Samuel Davis, of Borden Tract
||to Mary (add)
Samuel Davis was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Not to be confused with Samuel Davis, son of James Davis of Beverley Manor and Buffalo Creek.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Samuel Davis' land (Borden Tract SE, 200 acres, 1761) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 176.--7th February, 1761. Same (From Borden's Executors) to Samuel Davis, £__, 200 acres of 92100; cor. James Anderson in a line of a tract of 636, said to be sold by John Buchanan, gent., unto Robert Allison, side of Mount Atlas; cor. tract surveyed for Mr. James Greenlee, William Davis' Cor.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 687.--17th August, 1764. Samuel Davis and Mary to Samuel Lyle, £55, 200 acres of Borden's tract; corner James Anderson, north side of Mount Atlas, tract surveyed for James Greenlee; Wm. Davis' corner. Teste: James McDowell. Delivered: Samuel Lyle, August Court, 1773.
Records of Samuel Davis in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - APRIL 16, 1746. - (35) Isaac Anderson, surety for Saml. Davis & Edw. Boyle.
- Vol. 1 - APRIL AND JUNE, 1746. - Benjamin Borden vs. Samuel Davies and Edward Boyle.--Defendants of James River, Orange County. Bond 28th November, 1744.
- Vol. 1 - APRIL AND JUNE, 1746. - Layman vs. Daives.--Note of Samuel Daives, dated Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, dated 10th January, 1743-4.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 20, 1747. - (193) Thos. Paxton, James McClung, Isaac Taylor, Gilbert Campbell, Wm. Hall and Andrew McNabb recognized that their wives, as above, appear as witnesses: William Lusk in behalf of Agnis Grey; Saml. Davis in behalf of his mother, Eleanor Davis; Moses McClure in behalf of his mother, Agness McClure; Andrew Hays in behalf of his mother, Rebecca Hays; Silas Hart in behalf of Esther Lyle. Acknowledged themselves as above. Wm. Henry also acknowledged as above.
- Vol. 1 - SEPTEMBER 18, 1747. - (303) Road ordered from Tinkling Spring Meeting House to Col. Patton's Bridge, these to work it: James Patton's tithables, Robert Gibson's, Edward Hall's, Sam'l. Davies's, Wm. Thomson's, and Geo. Caldwell's tithables.
- Page 261.--20th May, 1752. Samuel Braford and Ann to William Smith, 969 acres. In Beverley Manor on head branch of Shanando, purchased by Braford from James Lynn and by Lynn from Beverley; corner Andrew Lynn; corner Brownlee's land. Teste: Walter Steel, Samuel Davis.
- Page 744.--11th November, 1764. Francis ( ) Randies to John Scott, £33.10, 100 acres in Borden's tract; corner Samuel Davis, James Anderson's line. Teste: David Cloyd, Jr., Lanty Armstrong, James McDowell.
- Page 233.--7th August, 1765. John Scott and Catherine, William Davis and Mary, to William McCutchen, £105, 200 acres in Borden's tract; corner Francis Randolson, James Anderson's line; corner said Andersen's and Andrew Hays'; corner Thomas Paxton; corner Samuel Daviss. Teste: Andrew Hays, Samuel McDowell, Samuel Henderson, William Patton Delivered to John McCutchen, executor of William, 3d June, 1793.
- Vol. 2 - Page 130--John McClung deposes, 6th September, 1811, Andrew Fitzpatrick and Saml. Davis were relations. John came to the grant in 1745. John is in 80th year.
- Page 133--Wm. McCampbell deposes, June, 1811, in 1756 he was on the land then occupied by And. Fitzpatrick. Wm. came to Borden's Grant in 1753. Andrew and Saml. Davis were brothers-in-law. Wm. is in 72d year.