Facts and Events
Samuel Caruthers was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of Samuel Caruthers
- CARUTHERS, SAMUEL - Will Extract:
- Rockbridge Co., Va. Will filed Oct. 5, 1779.
- wife Rebecca
- daughter Esther Caruthers
- bro. Robert Caruthers
- bro. James Caruthers
- bro. John Caruthers
- sister Rachel Caruthers
[Source: Virginia Wills before 1799]
Records of Samuel Caruthers in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY 18, 1774. - (459) David Beard to be bound to Samuel Caruthers.
- Vol. 2 - Page 707.--18th May, 1774: David Beard, orphan, bound to Sam. Caruthers.
- Page 105.--23d October, 1779. Rebecca (mark) Caruthers' will--To daughter, Esther, all estate, together with £1,200 willed to Rebecca by her husband; mother; care of said child given to executors, for failure then, to John Caruthers; to sisters; to brothers; to brother, William; to brothers. James and John. Executors, father John Moffett. Teste: James Cunningham. James Young, Wm. Moffett. Proved, 16th November, 1779, by Young and Moffett. (Note: Rebecca was Samuel Caruther's wife and daughter of John Moffett. Her husband, Samuel Caruthers had died just a few months prior on 14 May 1779. The will of Samuel Caruthers mentioned in Rebecca's will was filed in Rockbridge County)
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 17, 1779. - (148) John Moffet qualifies executor of Rebecca Carruthers.