Samuel Brawford, of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, VA
Facts and Events
Samuel Brawford was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Samuel Brawford's land (Beverley Manor SW, 200 acres, 1747) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. (Note: also shown on this map are the approximate locations of the land acquired from James Lynn (269 acres of his 538 acre tract) in 1751, and from John Buchanan (410 acres of his 784 acre tract) in 1752).
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 314.--13th August, 1747. Wm. Beverley to Samuel Brawford farmer, £6 current money Virginia; 200 acres in Beverley Manor; corner John Buchanan; corner John Mitchell and Samuel Doage. Witnessed and proved as above.
- Page 505.--19th August, 1751. James Lynn, architectus, to Samuel Braford, 269 acres in Beverley Manor; corner Andrew Lynn; corner Brownlee; corner George Breckinridge (Sarah, wife of James). Teste: Jno. Mitchell, Saml. Doack, Andrew Lynn.
- Page 272.--20th March, 1752. John Buchanan, miller, to Samuel Braford, planter, 410 acres. In Beverley Manor on head Christian's Creek; corner James Cowan. Patrick Campbell's line; John Mitchel's corner Teste: Charles Campbell, John Kerr.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 261.--20th May, 1752. Samuel Braford and Ann to William Smith, 969 acres. In Beverley Manor on head branch of Shanando, purchased by Braford from James Lynn and by Lynn from Beverley; corner Andrew Lynn; corner Brownlee's land. Teste: Walter Steel, Samuel Davis.
- Page 272.-- (undated, appears to be abt. May, 1753) Samuel Braford and Ann to Elizabeth Mateer (McAttore), alias Wright, widow. Sold by Beverley to Samuel Brawford in Beverley Manor, Cor. Samuel's tract purchased of John Buchanon; lines of John Mitchell and Samuel Doack. Delivered to James Mateer, 1774. Teste: Wm. Finley, Wm. Wright.
Record of Importation to Orange County, Virginia
Early Settlers, who transported themselves to the colonies, over the age of 16, were given "headrights" (grants of 50 acres of land per "head"), if they appeared in the Court of Common Pleas in the county in which the land was granted. The following persons appeared in Orange County, Virginia court on in July 1740:
- Wm Johnson, Ann, Elizabeth & John Johnston; Samuel Brawford (from Ireland)
Will of Samuel Brawford
- Page 132.--17th December, 1787. Samuel Braford's will--To wife, Ann; to daughter, Mary Braford, unmarried; to son, John, 209 acres adjoining Thos. Mitchel; to son, James, 201 acres; to daughter, Ann; to son, Hugh; to son, Samuel; to daughter, Rachel; to daughter, Elizabeth; to grandson, Samuel Hays, son of daughter Elizabeth, infant. If Samuel Hays die infant, then his legacy to go to his sister, Elizabeth Christian. Executors, two sons-in-laws, Patrick Christian, of Augusta County, and Samuel Miller, of Rockingham County. Teste: Wm. Shields, Samuel Hunter, Peter Frenger. Proved, 21st April, 1789, by the witnesses. Executors refuse to qualify. Administration granted John and James Brawford.
- Page 191.--28th April, 1789. Samuel Brawford's estate appraised by John Sterling, James Shields, Samuel Hays.
Will of Samuel's Wife, Anne:
- Page 145.--8th January, 1794. Anne Braford's (Bradford) will--To daughter, Elizabeth; to granddaughter, Elizabeth Christian; to daughter, Rachel, to daughter, Mary; to daughter, Anne; to granddaughter, Mary Braford, daughter to John Braford; to granddaughter, Anne Bradford, daughter to Samuel Bradford. Executors, Patrick Christian. Teste: John Christian, Cornelius Ruddle, Jacob Vanlear. Proved, 20th January, 1795 by Christian and Ruddle. Executor qualifies
Processioning List of 1748, 1756 & 1767/8
- "Processioning" was the process or periodically reviewing and agreeing upon property lines between settlers. Processioning Lists can be useful in determining the area of a settler and the neighboring settlers at a specific time period:
Processioning List of 1748:
- Page 17.--James Fulton and John Mitchell make returns, viz: 1748, 26th March, processioned for Samuel Doak, present Samuel Braford; processioned for John Mitchell, present Samuel Doak; processioned for Samuel Braford, present Samuel Doak; processioned for John Buchanan, present James Cowen; processioned for Martha Mitchell (widow), present John Buchanan; processioned for James Cowen, present David Mitchell; processioned for David Moor, present Jas. Cowan; processioned for Robert Wilson, present Andrew Alexander; processioned for Andrew Alexander, present Robert Wilson; processioned for Patrick Campbell, present Joseph Reed; processioned for Joseph Reeds, present Chas. Campbell; processioned for Chas. Campbell, present Pat. Campbell; processioned for Patrick Hays, present Wm. Robinson; processioned for Robert Alexander, present Robert Ramsey; processioned for Robt. Ramsey, present Pat. Hays; processioned for Sarah Ramsey (widow), present Robt. Ramsey; processioned for John Lockhart, present Pat. Hays; processioned for Thos. Beard, present John Lockhart; processioned for Samuel Wilson, present Robert Wilson; processioned for David Doak, present Samuel Wilson; processioned for Eleanor Mitchell (widow), present Robert Wilson; processioned for John Teats, present Thos. Beard; processioned for James Linn, present Samuel Doak; processioned for John Brownlee, present Wm. Smith; processioned for George Breckinridge, present, Breckenridge; processioned for James Robinson, present Anthony Black; processioned for Anthony Black, present Jas. Robinson; processioned for Wm. Robinson, present Robinson; processioned for Jas. Fulton, present Alex. Brownlee; processioned for Samuel Steel, present John Fulton.
Processioning List of 1756:
- Page 176.--1756: PRocessioned by John Tate and Samuel Doak, in Cap. James Mitchell's Company, viz: for Widow Mitchell, for Wm. Thompson, for james Robinson, for Charles Campbell, for Saml. Brawford, for John Mitchell, for Saml. Doak, for Widow Fulton, for Robt. Alexander, for Nathl. and Robt. Steele, for David Hays, for Helen Mitchell and Jno. Tate, for David Doak, for James Cowan, for Robert Sayers, for John Campbell, for Pat. Campbell, for John Ward, for Widow McTyre, for John and Alex. Brownlee, for Saml. Steele, for Patrick Hays, for John Fulton, for Thomas Tate, for Robert Willson.
Processioning List of 1767/68:
- Page 441.--Processioners' returns, by Thos. Shields and Jas. Meteire, viz: For Patt. Campbell, for Wm. Campbell, for Robt. Willson, for Thos. Brown, for Wm. Thompson, for Pat. Hays, for John Ward, for Wm. Purrens (Purvens), for James Henry, for Nathl. Steele, for Geo. Bright, for Roben Mitchel, for Robt. Alexander, for Wm. Walker, for Roben Willson, for John Mitchell, for James Mitchell, for John Buchanan, for David Cunningham, for Wm. Campbell, for Thomas Mitchell, for James Meteire, for Hugh Hays, for Reuben Steele, for Thomas Steele, for Thomas Shields, for David Doake, for John Teate, for Samuel Doake, for Samuel Brawford, for James Cowan, for Saml. McCutchen, for Alex. Campbell, for James Moffett, for Wm. Cunningham, for David Doake, for Hugh Fulton and James Fulton, for Saml. Steele, for Alex. Brownlee, for John Brownlee.
Records in Augusta County, VA
- Page 317.--13th August, 1747. Wm. Beverley to John Mitchell, £20; 609 acres in Beverley Manor; corner to Samuel Brafford; John Buchanan's land; Patrick Campbell's land; crossing South River; Samuel Doak's land. Witnessed and proved as above.
- Page 540.--Commission to Thomas Waring, James Garnet, Benj. Winslow and Francis Waring, Gent., Justices of Essex County, to privately examine Elizabeth, wife of Wm. Beverley, as to release of dower in land conveyed, 12th and 13th August, 1747, to James Lynn, 500 acres on head branches of Shanando, 21st September, 1748. Executed, and dower released, 6th February, 1749. Page 545.--Same as to Samuel Brawford's deed.
- Page 330.--13th October, 1749. William Beverley to John Shields, 225 acres in Beverley Manor. Corner Thomas Brown, John Cowan's line. Corner Robert Christian. Corner Moffett's land. Teste: Thomas Shields, John Cowan, Samuel Brawford.
- Page 223.--20th May, 1752. Patrick Campbell, Sr., and Elizabeth, to Patrick Campbell, Jr., 212 acres. From Beverley to Patrick, Sr., 21st February, 1738; Wm. Thompson's line; Samuel Braford's and John Mitchel's lines; corner John Ward; corner Charles Campbell. Crossing Christian's Creek and South River. Teste: David Hay, Arthur Hamilton.
- Page 247.--19th May, 1761. John Mitchel to Thomas Mitchel, £10, 234 acres in Beverley Manor, part of 609 acres conveyed to John by Beverley, 13th August, 1747; cor. Samuel Braford. Teste: John Finley, Robert Wilson, David Doack. Delivered: Thos. Mitchell, 3d November, 1764.
- Page 10.--19th August, 1766. Robert Beverley to Joseph Mays, £10, 205 acres in Beverley Manor. Alexander Campbell's line, Samuel Braford's line; corner James Mitchell, to the beginning by Francis Beatey. Delivered: Jos. Mays, May, 1767.
- Page 402.--20th June, 1770. Joseph Mays and Rebecca to Robert Jamison, £45, 205 acres in Beverley Manor on head branches of Christian's Creek; Alexander Campbell's line; Samuel Brafford's line; corner James Mitchel.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage License in Augusta County - 1786--June 6, Samuel Miller and Ann Braford, daughter of Samuel Braford; surety, John Braford.
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 17, 1788. - (548) Nuncupative will of Jane Wallace rejected on the objection of Samuel Brawford that it is not sufficiently proved.
- Vol. 2 - Anthony Mustoe vs. Andrew Moore--Case. Bath, 24th June, 1793. Spa. to Bath for James Kelso and Joel Walker. Spa. to Rockingham for William Millor and Samuel Brawford. Spa. to Bath for John White and John Oliver. Defendant said: "I have every reason to suspect Anthony Mustoe for stealing from me the sum of £10 in two parcels, which I had for the purpose of carrying to Richmond, and if he had got his deserts in London or been drowned in the sea and the rocks of damnation laid on him," &c.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage License in Augusta County - 1795--June 30, Hugh Torbett, Jr., and Hugh Torbett, surety. Hugh Torbett, Jr., and Mary Brawford, of age, daughter of Saml. Brawford, deceased, sister to John Brafford.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1793 (A to L). - Samuel Hunter vs. Hugh Torbett and Alexander Mitchell.--Chancery. Spa. 25th July, 1777. Deposition of William Bryan, of Fauquier, taken Friday, 22d August, 1777, aged thirty years. He is son-in-law of David Kaile (Haile?). David Kaile deposes at same time he is sixty years and upwards. James Cunningham deposes, 16th August, 1783, that in May, 1777, Hugh Torbett was selling his land with intention of going to Holston. After Nathaniel Torbett came from Northward. Alexander Mitchell's answer says: In 1771 he and other defendant bought a tract of land from Col. William Campbell, 614 acres, "After the defendants came to Virginia" (1773). Hugh Brawford and Rachel Brawford were son and daughter of Samuel Brawford. Rachel was married to William Wallace before 21st November, 1780, and on that date is about to leave these parts. Susannah Hunter was wife of Samuel.
Information on Samuel Brawford
Samuel BRAWFORD (AFN:1CNJ-TDT) Pedigree
Born: 1719 Place: , , , Ireland
Died: 21 Apr 1789 Place: , , , Virginia
Married: Nov 1743 Place: , Augusta, Virginia
Anne SPOTSWOOD (AFN:1CNJ-TF2) Pedigree
Born: 1727 Place: , , Virginia
Died: 20 Jan 1795 Place: , , Virginia
Married: Nov 1743 Place: , Augusta, Virginia
1. Sex Name
F Ann BRAWFORD (AFN:1CNJ-V70) Pedigree
Born: 1763 Place: , , Virginia
2. Sex Name
M Samuel BRAWFORD (AFN:1CNJ-W5Q) Pedigree
Born: 1755 Place: , , Virginia
Died: 1820 Place:
3. Sex Name
F Mary BRAWFORD (AFN:1CNJ-VHM) Pedigree
Born: 1756 Place: , , Virginia
4. Sex Name
M James BRAWFORD (AFN:1CNJ-VJT) Pedigree
Born: 1761 Place: , , Virginia
Died: 23 Dec 1834 Place:
5. Sex Name
M John BRAWFORD (AFN:1CNJ-VR9) Pedigree
Born: 1751 Place: , , Virginia
Died: Place: , , Virginia
6. Sex Name
M Hugh BRAWFORD (AFN:1CNJ-V0J) Pedigree
Born: 5 Jan 1753 Place: , , Virginia
Died: Jun 1817 Place:
7. Sex Name
F Rachel BRAWFORD (AFN:1CNJ-TZC) Pedigree
Born: Feb 1749 Place: , , Virginia
8. Sex Name
M Robert BRAWFORD (AFN:1CNJ-TR4) Pedigree
Born: Mar 1744 Place: , , Virginia
Died: 20 Nov 1781 Place:
9. Sex Name
F Elizabeth BRAWFORD (AFN:1CNJ-VXB) Pedigree
Born: Aug 1746 Place: , , Virginia