Robert Withrow, Miller of Mossy Creek
- H. Robert Withrow, Miller of Mossy Creekbef 1757 -
m. bef. 1777
- Susannah Withrowbef 1777 -
Facts and Events
||Robert Withrow, Miller of Mossy Creek
Robert Withrow was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1788--August 13, John McDowell and Griffith Evans, of Staunton surety. John McDowell and Sarah Withro, daughter of Wm. Withrow. Consent for daughter Sarah signed by Robert Withrow, of Mossy Creek.
- Vol. 2 - APRIL, 1796 (N to Z). - Richard Mathews vs. John McDougal--Deposition, 3d February, 1795, of Samuel Greenlee, of Lincoln County, Kentucky, before James Davis, William Montgomery and John Craig. It was reported that Greenlee had been killed by the Indians, but this was disproved. William Hogshead about to remove to Kentucky, 9th April, 1793. Depositions William Hogshead and John Gardner at house of William Gilham, in Staunton, 21st April, 1789. Deposition of Susannah Griffith, 29th March, 1794: Was daughter of Robert Witherow, who was a miller at Mossey Creek. Evan Griffith, Susannah Griffith and Samuel Witherow intend to remove from the State 4th September, 1795.
- A recurring question in researching the Withrow Family in the United States is the relationship between Robert Withrow the "miller on Mossey Creek" in Augusta County, Virginia and Robert and Jennet Withrow immigrants from Ulster. A page from the Withrow Family Bible was published in the February, 1975 issue of "The Old Tryon Society" of Rutherford Co., North Carolina. This bible has a copydate of 1729 and was published in Edinburgh, Scotland. Various sources state that it is now in the possession of the North Carolina Archives or John A. Carson of Spartanburg, South Carolina. The page lists the children of Robert and Jennet Withrow including a son Robert born February 10th, 1723. It also lists Robert and Elizabeth Evans marrying on March 13, 1747. It has been assumed that Robert of Augusta County is the son listed in the bible. This has never been proven.
Help fund new features!