Rev. Robert Wilson
Facts and Events
Robert Wilson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Robert Wilson's land (Beverley Manor SW, 400 of 660 acres, acquired from Joseph Mills in 1742) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. (Note: the remaining 260 acres appear to have been acquired by John Holmes, son-in law of Robert Wilson).
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, VA Records:
- Pages 1-4. 23-24 June 1742. Joseph Mills of St. Mark's Parish, Orange County, to Robt. Willson and John Holmes of same. Lease and release; for £64.10.- current money. 660 acres in Beverley Mannor... corner to James Robinsone... corner to John Buckhannon... back line of the pattent of Beverley Manner... 400 of the land to be laid of[f] next to William Long for Robt. Wilsone and the remainder for John Holmes... (signed) Joseph Mills. Wit: G. Home, Jno. Christian. 24 June 1742. Acknowledged by Joseph Mills and Robt. Wilson. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 8, Dorman, pg. 67]. (Note: John Holmes married Robert Wilson's daughter Jennet).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 530.--25th August, 1752. John Wilson to Joseph Tees, 400 acres on South River, Shanandore; Beverley Manor line, part of 660 acres deeded to John's father by Joseph Mills, 24th June, 1742. Teste: James Patton, Mary Thompson, Michael O'DonneI, Wm. Thompson, Joseph Love, Wm. Preston.
Will of Robert Wilson
- Page 1.—Robert Willson, in Shanadore in Virginia, will dated 3d November, 1745. Wife, Jane; estate except such as is nominated of the hole head to son John. Son, John; daughter, Jannet Holmes, 20 shillings; daughter, Catrin Bell, 20 shillings; nephew (?), Robert Holmes; daughters, Elizabeth, Jane, Frances. Executors, Wm. Long and James Alexander. Teste: Jno. Patterson, Gabriel Holmes, James Bell. Proved, 11th February, 1745, by John Patterson. Proved, 16th April, 1745, by Gabriel Holmes.
- Page 3.—John Wilson qualifies administrator, c. t. a., of above, with sureties, viz: Robert Cunningham and Wm. Henderson, llth February, 1745.
- Vol. 1 - February 11, 1745. - (8) Wm. Henderson, Wm. Long, James Alexander, Jno. Black to appraise Ro. Wilson's estate.
- Page 122.--10th March, 1746-7. Robert Wilson's appraisement by Jno. Black, James Alexander, Wm. Long. Debts due to John Holmes, Wm. Darlington, Wm. Branston.
Records of Robert Wilson in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 595.--23d May, 1764. Joseph Love and Mary to Samuel Caldwell, £150. 400 acres on South River Shanando, Beverley Manor line, part of 660 acres deeded to John Willson's father by Joseph Mills, 24th June, 1742. Teste: Pat. Cunningham. Samuel Love, Walter Davis, Robert ( ) Crawford. Delivered to Samuel Culwell.
- Page 35.--16th August, 1791. James Wright and Alexander Wright, sons and devisees of William Wright, deceased, and Elizabeth, wife of James, of Augusta, to Jacob Bear, 260 acres in Beverley Manor, part of tract originally surveyed for Joseph Mills, and sold to Robert Wilson and Jno. Holmes by deed which was conveyed to said William Wright, deceased, by John Holmes, February, 1748.