Facts and Events
Robert Steele was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of Robert Steele
From Adair County, Kentucky Records:
- Page 88: Will of Robert STEEL
- Written: 01-Sep-1810
- My wife: Isabella
- My son: Robert
- My daughter: Anne
- My wife and son, Executors
- Witnesses: John GILMER, James GILMER, William H. GILMER, and James GILMER [sic]
- Probated: Sep-1813
Parentage of Robert Steele
Robert Steele is considered a probable child of Andrew Steele of Augusta County, based upon some circumstantial sources, including the apparent close relationship with the Moore and Hill families in Augusta County (Robert's sister married into the Moore family). More information is needed to prove Robert Steele as Andrew's son.
Records of Robert Steele in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records: (possibly this Robert)
- Page 485.--22d October, 1776. David Williamson's will--To wife, Pernellipy; to daughter, Lurini; to daughter, Lyddy; to daughter, Jennet, unmarried; to son, John, 100 acres joining David Steel on Half Way Creek; to son, David, 150 acres as above; to son, Jonathan, landing including the Old Field and cabin next to Thos. Wilson's land; to son, James, when free of his apprenticeship. Executors, Thomas Wilson, John Boyd. Teste: Andrew Moore, Robert Steel. Proved, 18th March, 1777, by the witnesses. Boyd refuses to execute. Administration granted Penerepy, the widow.
- Page 505.--23d June, 1777. Thomas Wilson's estate appraised by Thomas Hill, William and Andrew Moore, Mathew Wilson. (Note: this record is included to show a relationship with the Moore and Hill families in Augusta County).
- Vol. 2 - Page 119--Saml. Steele, aged 67, deposes, ditto (deposes at Brownsburg, July, 1805), son of Andrew Steele, to whom 40 acres were conveyed; bought about 50 years ago. Saml. had brother Robt. Saml. Nesbit went out as a pack horseman on an Indian Expedition in order to raise money to pay for his land.
- Vol. 2 - Page ___--Samuel Steele, aged 67, deposes, ditto (15th July, 1805). Son of Andrew Steele. Andrew bought from Bowyer 50 years ago. Saml. had a brother Robert. (Note: this record identifies Robert Steele as a son of Andrew Steele and brother to Samuel Steele).
Information on Robert Steele
From Genforum.com post:
Robert Steele and Isabella Jane Hill
Posted by: Marilyn Freeman Date: April 11, 2001 at 08:06:12
Does any one have any information on this Steele Family?
Robert Steele was b. c. 1743 Augusta Co., VA d. 1812 Adair Co., KY m. Isabella Jane Hill abt. 1769 Augusta/Rockbridge Co., KY. Children: (1) Margaret Steele b. c. 1770 VA m. 1787 Rockbridge Co., VA John Moore (2) John Steele b. c. 1774 VA (3) Jane Steele b. c. 1777 VA m. Daniel Dane (4) Samuel Steele b. c. 1780 VA m. Elizabeth Vaughn (5) Archibald Steele b. c. 1781 VA m. 1803 Clark Co., KY Elizabeth Dawson Haggard (6) Thomas Steele b. c. 1783 VA (7) David Steele b. c. 1784 VA m. 1808 Clark Co., KY Jenny (Jane) Jordon (8) Robert Steele b. c. 1785 m. 1819 Adair Co., KY Cynthia Vaughn (9) Anne Steele b. c. 1787 m. 1814 Adair Co., KY James Scott.
The family lived In Fayette, Clark, Adair, and Christian Cos. in KY and Augusta and Rockbridge area in VA.