Facts and Events
Robert Ralston was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Robert Ralston received a patent for 364 acres on "Moffett's branch of Cathey's River; corner John Smith" on 15 December 1749, (as listed in the record below).
- Page 171.--12th August, 1753. James Wood and Mary, of Frederick, to Ro. Rollstone, £64, 10, 350 acres on Muddy Creek patented to James, 12th January, 1746. Teste: David Ralston, Arthur, army trader.
- Robert Ralston received a patent for 350 acres "on Mossey Creek, cor. Wm. McReeters" on 16th August 1756, (as listed in the record below).
- Page 472.--Patent to Robert Ralston and conveyed to David Ralston. Teste: Alex. Robertson, Thomas Hughart, Robert Poage. (Note: this record appears to be referencing Ralston's 350-acre patent on Mossey Creek, listed above).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 288.--23d May, 1751. Robert Rallstone and Martha, to Thomas Bradshaw, 364 acres, Moffett's branch of Cathey's River; corner John Smith; patented to Robert, 15th December, 1749. Teste: William Snadon, Alex. Gardner.
- Page 174.--20th August, 1755. Robt. Rallstone and Martha (her mark) to Wm. Castleberry, £110, 350 acres on Muddy Creek. Teste: Ephraim Love and Arthur, army trader. Delivered: Grantee, March, 1757.
- Page 491.--8th November, 1757. Robert Ralstone (Rollstone) and Martha (Matherew) to David Ralston, £50, 350 acres by patent, 16th August, 1756, on Mossey Creek, cor. Wm. McReeters. Teste: John Edwards, Ephraim Love, Reuben Rutherford. Delivered: Ralston, August, 1758.
- Page 82.--20th March, 1759. Robert Ralston and Martha (her mark) to Thomas Campbell, £6, 40 acres on a branch of North River called Muddy Creek. Teste: Ephraim Love, James Bruster, Jno. Davison. Delivered: Archibald Hopkins, March. 1763.
Processioning List of 1748
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 25.--John Moffett and James Hogshead report, viz: 24th February, 1748, processioned for James Hogshead, present Robert Ralston; processioned for John Hogshead, present Robert Ralston; processioned for John Hogshead, present Robert Gilkison; processioned for Alex. Gardner, present Robert Gilkison; processioned for Robert Rennox, present Samuel Moore; processioned for Capt. McAnaire; processioned for Thos. Garner; processioned for Wm. Anderson, present John Lusk; processioned for John Moffett, present Wm. Anderson; processioned for John Young; processioned for James Anderson, present John Young; processioned for John Finley, Samuel Lusk, Wm. Anderson.
Records of Robert Ralston in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records: (unless otherwise listed)
- Vol. 2 - List of Musters, 1742: Captain John Smith's List: John Smith, Captain; John Moffet, Lieutenant; William Anderson, Ensign; Daniel Daniston, Sergeant; Sam Hogshead, John Hogshead, Will Hogshead, Dan. McAnear, Math. Edmeston, John Finley, Walter Trimble, John Francis, Robert Ralston, John Young, Alex. Blair, Alex. Craig, Thomas Gillespy, And. Erwine, Benj. Erwine, John Erwine, Edw. Erwine, John Trimble, James Trimble, Rob. Moffett, James Wright, Rob. King, Jam. Armstrong, John Pattison, Jas. Lesley, Felix Kanady, Thomas Gordon, And. Mitchell, Jas. Robertson, Gabrl. Pickins, Rob. Leeper, Sam. Moore, John Miller, James Miller, Patr. Quine, Mat. Armstrong, John Ramsey, Dan. Daniston, Sam Northward, Rob. Renick, John Archer, Sampn. Archer, Jam.'s Sayers, Thos. McCulough, George Anderson, John Anderson, Rob. Poage, Rob. Patterson, Jas. Craford, Will Baskins.
- Vol. 1 - August 20, 1746 - (74) Cap. Daniel McAnaire to be overseer of above road with following tithables: Samuel Wallis, Alexr. Crawford, John Elliott, David Trimble, John Hogshead, Alexr. Gardner, Sampson Archer, Alexr. Gibson, Robt. Davis, Thomas Gardner, Walter Trimble, John Sixby, David Stuart, Ro. Renix, Francis Gardner, John Trimble, Thomas Beard, Ro. Gilkason, John Archer, James Bell, James Mills, James Dyer, Charles Clendening, Wm. Hogshead, Ro. Ralstone, John Moffet, Saml. Lusk, James Phillips, Danl. Brealey, Mathew Edmonston, James Trimble, John Ferguson, Wm. Anderson, John Spears, John McKenney, Wm. Brady, Ro. Armstrong, James Miller.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 20, 1747. - (254) Robert Ralston added to Cunningham's list of tithables.
- Vol. 2 - 1748, October 21st--Richard Robinson, 400, joining Hugh Douglas, Charles Cain, at Poplar Bottom, on Dry Branch. Robert Ralston, vid. James Hogshead.
- Page 395.--28th November, 17__. (s/b 1749) William King, blacksmith, to John Nickoll, 400 acres on Moffett's branch of Cathey's River. Ralston's Path. Patented to William King, 10th February, 1748. Teste: Robert Ralstone. Delivered: Alexander Gibson.
- Page 118.- (abt. February 1750) -Samuel Wilkins of No. Ca., to Alexander Herring, 133 acres Cooks Creek of No. River Shanando. Delivered: Benj. Kinley, January, 1754. Teste: Robt. Rallstone, John Wilkins, Morgan Bryan.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 28, 1750. - (416) Wm. Hamilton, George Scot, Jacob Cooper, Wm. Ralston, with two others, Wm. Dunlop, Robert Ralston, David Ralston, added to list of tithables.
- Vol. 2 - 1751, April 22d--James Hogshead, 100 (acres), his own and Robert Ralston's land; surveyed. William Hogshead, 300, Gilkeson's and Jennings' Branch.
- Vol. 1 - 1753-1754 (Part 1). - Inhabitants of North Mountain, at head of Muddy Creek, petition for road from Ephraim Love's to the road from South Branch to Swift Run Gap: Ephraim Love, John Herdman, Jeremiah Hanason, Aaron Oliver, Thomas Campbell, Robert Pattison, John Slaven, Patrick Black, Robert Rallstone, John Negarry, Tomes Shanklin, John Taler, Daniel Harrison, John Foolton, Jesse Harrison, Patrick Cain.
- Page 146.--22d May, 1753. Saml. Lockhart and Catherine, to Edwd. Beard, £60, 179 acres patented 20th August, 1747, on No. Riv. Shanandoe; Alexander Thompson's land. Teste: Robt. Hook, Robt. Ralstone.
- Page 360.--14th July, 1753. William Beard and Mary to Robert Frazer, South Branch Shanando, known as Cave Bottom, part of large tract patented to Alex. Thompson, 13th July, 1742, and sold to Beard; Alex. Thompson's Ford, Cave Hill, 100 acres. Teste: Robert Hoop, Robert Ralstone. James Beard.
- Page 364.--14th August, 1753. Robert Shankland, Sr., to John Fulton, 1753. Cor. Jacob Dye, North Mountain, patented 1746, 300 acres. Teste: Ro. Ralstone, Ephraim Love, Jno. Thomas.
- Page 80.--21st November, 1754. Daniel Love's bond as guardian (appointed) to Joseph Dictom, orphan of Richd. Dictom, with sureties Uriah Humble, Robt. Ralston.
- Vol. 1 - MAY AND NOVEMBER, 1759 (A). - William Ralston does not provide for his family and required to give bond. November Court, 1758. (Note: apparently references following record:)
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1759. - Arthur (Army Trader) (Arthur Trader) vs. Ralston.--Signatures: Thos. Moore and John Harrison, Robert Ralston and Ephraim Love, Howel Jones and Abigail Sempil.
- Page 82.--26th May, 1761. Peter Horse to Adam Stroud. £20, 275 acres on South Fork of Potomac, part of 700 acres of Postle Hover's, Michael Kynes' cor. Teste: Mathew Patton, Robert Ralston, Postle ( ) Horse. Delivered: Adam Stroud, March, 1769.
- Page 129.--18th May, 1762. Roger Dyer's sale bill and settlement of estate by Hannah Dyer, administratrix, approved and recorded--To Wm. Samples, Wm. Gregg, Margaret McGlaughlan, David Nelson, Pat Frazier, John Cunningham, Robt. Ralston, Johnston Hill, John Cravens, Jesse Harrison, Bryce Russell, Robt. McGarry, John Dunkle, John Montgomery. Paid John Wright, Ro. Minnis (for whiskey), Sarah Stevenson (for whiskey for vendue); paid Wm. Gibson, Adam Harper, James Dyer.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1763 (B). - Thomas Burk vs. Robert Ralston.--William Burk, deceased, brother of Thomas Burk, 23d October, 1763.
- Page 244.--22d June, 1763. Thomas Campbell to Archibald Hopkins, £7, on Muddy Creek of North River, 40 acres; corner to land now or formerly Robt. Raulston's. Teste: John Poage, Richard Shanklin, James Hughes.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1765 (B). - George Scott vs. Robert Ralston.--28th November, 1765. Margaret Pickens gone to Carolina.
- Page 23.--16th December, 1766. William Ralston's will: Wife Eleanor, executrix. Son Robert, 10 sh.; son David, 10 sh., to be overseer. Teste: Samuel McFeeters, Wm. and Samuel Ralston. Proved, 18th August, 1767, by the witnesses. Executrix qualifies (her mark), with Saml. and Wm. Ralston.
- Page 213.--18th March, 1767. Thomas Bradshaw ( ) and Margrit ( ) to James Hogshead, Jr., £59, 150 acres on Moffet's branch, part of 364 acres patented to Robert Ralstone, 15th December, 1749, and by him conveyed to Thomas; corner James Hogshead.
- James Hogshead, Jr., 379 acres, branch of Middle River. Mentioned Robert Rolston. August 28, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 199].
- Page 203.--23d August, 1791. James Bradshaw, of Fayette County, Ky., Thomas Bradshaw and Margaret, of Augusta, to John Canote (Kanote), part of 364 acres patented to Robert Ralston, 15th December, 1749; also 25 acres patented to Thomas Bradshaw, Sr., 1st September, 1780, and became property of grantors by heirship. Teste: Thos. Groone, Jno. Nichole.
- Vol. 2 - 1796 (A to M). - Samuel Miller vs. Gawin Hamilton--Uriah Gartin and Robert Ralstonare about to remove to Kentucky, 6th October, 1795. Signatures Benjamin Hamson, William Herring, John Rice, 8th October, 1795.
Information on Robert Ralston
From Genforum.com post: (appears to contain obvious errors)
Re: RALSTON/ROLSTON of Hart/Barren/Green Co KY "UPDATE"
Posted by: Louise Brown (ID *****3634) Date: April 14, 2005 at 08:29:03
In Reply to: Re: RALSTON/ROLSTON of Hart/Barren/Green Co KY "UPDATE" by Margene Roberts of 2238
You ask me for info., on Robert Ralston, Jr's Rev War Service. Robert Ralston born Aug 20, 1844 (?? obvious error, even if 1744, does not fit with Robert Sr.'s birthdate), Mossey Creek, Agusta Co., VA., to Robert and Martha (Mathews) Ralfton/Ralston both of Northern Ireland. (Orange Co., VA. Headrights, Court of Common Place gave oath of allengance and given 50 acres of land in VA. later called Augusta Co. All Robert's sibblings were born in Virginia. After his mother Martha died abt 1771 his father Robert Sr. moved to NC where Robert Jr. was already living in Rockingham Co. Some people say he was married to a Jane Sheilds in NC. This I have not proof. I do have records of his service in the Rev War. I hope this helps you. Source: "Historical Register of Offeicers of the Conntinental Army" By Heitman R 353.6H.36 Rolston, Robert (NC) Ensign 1st North Carolina, 1st September, 1775; 2nd Lieutenant, 4th January, 1776: 2nd Lieutenant, 28th March, 1776, Captain, 8th March 1777, ; resgned 29th August 1777. Also, "North Carolina Land Grants in Tennessee" 1778 - 1791" By Cartwright & Gardiner: Robert Ralston pg 123, 148. War records also found in "American Biographical History"; "The Biographical Cylopaedia of American Women, Vol 11"; "Historical Register of Officers of the Coninental Army Durning the War of the Revolation"; Alphabetical List of Offeicers of the Continental Army, "R" Fifteenth Virginia pg 473. (It also list what I wrote above.
Robert's siblings were Mary Ralston who md a Wm Detherage in NC; Ruth Ralston, Agness Ralston, Elizabeth, David Ralston (Rev War NC ), Isaac Rolston/ Ralston Md Nancy McDoo in 1784, (Rev War Pension by wife) lived in Barren Co., KY, Livingston Co., and settled in Poke Co., IL.; Sarah Ralston md Robert Wallace lived in Warren Co., KY; Rachael Ralston md Andrew Hayes; William Ralston; Joseph Ralston md Sarah Wallace lived in Barren Co., KY; Matthew Ralston md Mary Galloway and lived in Barren Co., KY. Matthew is my line through son Andiville Ralston. I hope this has helped you. I really do not know for sure where Robert Jr. died but if his wife was a Jane then this is possibly your ancestor. I would like to see a copy of his will.
Louise Ralston Brown in Indiana