Facts and Events
Robert Neeley was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 72 - Robert Neely, 152 acres, Roanoke River. Adjoining Archibald Graham, William Christian. August 7, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 27].
- Neeley, Robert - Will probate September 1780.
- Names wife Ann and Children: John, James, Andrew, William and Robert Neeley.
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 61].
Processioning List of 1765
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settler’s lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 382.- (Processioners' Returns) - 1765: Wm. Bryans and Jas. Neely report as follows, viz: For James Bryan (on Roanoke), for Wm. Bryan, Jr., for David Bryan (Geo. McAfee present), for Rees Bowin, for Hugh Mills, for David Cloyd (Tinker's Creek), for David Robinson, for Wm. Graham, for Wm. Graham (on Bufallo Creek), Benj. Paulson present; for Wm. Graham, Henry Holston present; for Peter Evans; for Thos. Tosh, Danl. McNeal present; for Jno. McAdoo, Jas. Mellin present; for David Dutton, Wm. Elam present; for Israel Christian, for Joseph Snodgrass, for Joseph Robinson, for John Neilly; for Baptist Armstrong, present Thomas Acres; for Wm. Carvin, for Wm. Terry, for Thomas Ackers, for James Neilly (on Carson's Creek).
- Page 383.--(Processioners' Returns) - 1765 - For James Neilly (on Goose Creek), Abram Ellis and Wm. Carelton present; for Wm. Caulton (Carelton?), on Lick Run; for Col. Wm. Preston, 1,590 acres where he dwells, on a branch of Buffelo Creek joining David and Michael Cloyd, Widow McDonald, James Robinson, Saml. Robinson, Joseph Snodgrass, David Mitchell, Wm. Snodgrass; for Cap. Robt. Breckinridge, 797 acres, where he dwells, on Buffalo Creek, joining David Robinson, John Neilly, Rob. Neilly, Arch. Graham.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 334.--11th June, 1763. Baptist Armstrong to Thomas Akers, £37.10, 245 acres on Wolf Creek of Roanoke. Teste: Robert Neelley. Delivered: Francis Smith, March, 1768.
Help fund new features!