Facts and Events
Robert Miller, Sr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - ORIGINAL PETITIONS AND PAPERS FILED IN THE COUNTY COURT., 1749 - We petitioners, being the frontier inhabitants of this colony, labor under great inconveniences for want of a road being opened from our settlement towards the landing, and there being (as we presume) a sufficient number of inhabitants to open one, we therefore humbly pray that your worship will be graciously pleased to take our case under your serious consideration and grant an order for a road to be opened from Zachariah Callhouns, on Reedy Creek, and thence to the Buffalo Lick and from thence the nearest and best way to Woods River, at the upper end of a small island below the mouth of the Little River, and thence towards the forks of Meadow Creek, and thence to the top of the dividing ridge between Woods River and the South Fork of Roanoke, and that John Vance and Alexander Sayers be appointed to mark and lay off said road from said Callhouns to Woods River, and that John Stroud and James Conley mark and lay off from thence to the aforesaid dividing ridge, etc. That John McFarland and Joseph Crockett be appointed overseers to open and clear said road from said Calhoun's to Woods River, with the subscribers and the adjacent inhabitants and that William Crispe and William Pellem be appointed overseers from Woods River to the aforesaid dividing ridge, etc., and we, your petitioners, shall pray. Hendery Battan, Jacob Goldman, Jacob Goldman, Frederick Cadock, John Scott, John Combe, Samuel Stonacie, Robert McFarland, John Stead, Mordecai Early, John Downing, Charles Sincler, Wiliam Sayers, William Hamilton, Robert V(N)orris, Samuel Mountgomery, Andrew Lynam, James Macee, James Heris, Robert Miller, John Miller, Robert Allcorn, William Miller, John McFarland, Joseph Crockett, Val. Wilcher, Humberstone Lyon, James Miller, Stephen Lyon, Thomas Barnes, James Willy, John Vance, Alexander Sayers, Jacob Cassall, John German.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 23, 1750. - (371) Road ordered from Ezekiel Calhoun's to Wood's River thence to Top of Ridge between Wood's River and the South Fork of Roanoke. John McFarland and Joseph Crockett to be surveyors of former, and Wm. Crisp and Wm. Pellam, of latter part, with tithables, and the following: Henry Batton, Mordecai Early, John McFarland, Jacob Goldman, John Downing, John Goldman, Charles Sinclair, Nathaniel Wilshire, Wm. Sayers, Jacob Goldman, Wm. Hamilton, Humbertson Lyon, Frederick Carlock, Robert Norris, James Miller, James Cave, Saml. Montgomerie, Steven Lyon, John Conley, Andrew Linam, James Willbey, Saml. Stanlick, James Maies, Robert McFarlin, James Harris, John Vance, John Stride, Robert Miller, Alexr. Sayers, John Miller, Jacob Castle, Robert Alcorn, John Forman, Wm. Miller.
- Page 352.--30th August, 1750. Samuel Crockett's appraisement, by James Callhoon, John Noble, Wm. Sayers. Paid Robert Miller, Robert Alcoran, James Ryne. To William Mountgomery. Due by Peter Harman, Jno. Thompson, Jr., Joseph Crockett, Andrew Gaughagen.
- Page 264.--18th June, 1763. Joseph McCord's estate appraised, by Robert Erwin, Nathanl. Davis, Jno. Gilmer--John McCord's, Jr., note; Benj. McCord's note; Jno. McCord's, Sr., note; Adam McCord and James McCord's note; William Little's note; Robt. Miller's note; Thos. Grubbs' note; Wm. McCord's note. Cash, Mary Brown, debtor; Elizabeth Woods, Dr. Jno. Scott, dr.
1. Robert Miller Sr., b. 1707 Ulster, Ireland md Ann Lynn 1731; d. 10/19/1791 Orange, VA., stationed with brother John at Miller's Fort on Jackson River, Augusta Cty VA  now Bath Co. 
- Miller, Boyce. Miller Family of Orange/Greene Counties, Virginia. (R.B. Miller (Richmond, Va.) , 1995).
ROBERT MILLER, Senior, came from Ulster, Ireland, to Virginia, in 1731, bringing with him a Family Bible which is the chief source of information in regard to him and some of his children. Nothing is known of his Ulster antecedants, except the following which is speculative: that there was a Miller Family of some prominence in County Autrim, Ulster, at this period, a member of the famiily being reputedly the then Duke of Antrim; that descendants of this family emigrated to Virginia, settling in Albemarle County, among whom was Dr. Alexander Miller; that branches of this family later emigrated to Kentucky and there settled descendants of Robert Miller Senior, and there intermarried with them. Whether Robert Miller Senior is from County Autrim, and whether he was of this same Autrim family is unknown. It will be noted that Robert Miller Senior settled in the general vacinity of Albemarle County, Va., where the Autrim Millers also settled.
Robert Miller Senior married Ann Lynn, but whether prior to or after emigration is unknown. There was a Lynn family in County Londonderry, Ulster, at this period, but whether Ann was of this family or not is unknown.
The emigrant probably settled in Albemarle County, or adjacent thereto, as two of his sons were married in that County.
The Family Bible, brought by the family from Ulster, is in the custody of a member of the family now residing in Alabama, and from it the following records of births is obtained - all children of Robert Miller, Senior and Ann Lynn, his wife:
1. Elizabeth, born Nov. 15, 1732.
2. Robert, Jr., born May 5, 1734.
3. Thomas, born March 20, 1736.
4. Ann, born Nov. 15, 1739.
5. Margaret, born May 5, 1742.
6. John, born January 1, 1750.
Help fund new features!