b.Est. Abt. 1707
Facts and Events
Robert Martin was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Orange and Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Robert Martin received a patent for 1,000 acres "corner to George Rucker and Edward Price on the south side of a mountain on the head of the south branch of the North River... over two of the branches of Cattle Run" on 13 May 1735, as listed in the disposition below:
- Robert Martin received a patent for 400 acres on "Gilgo Run, Hawkbill" on 20 September 1745, as listed in the disposition below: (Note: Hawksbill Gap is located near the South Branch of the North River, a brahch of the Shenandoah River).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Pages 293-99. 13-14 June 1736. Robert Martin of St. Mark's Parish, Orange County to John Tennent of St. George's Parish, Spotsylvania County. Lease and release; for £33.16.- current money. 1000 acres... corner to George Rucker and Edward Price on the south side of a mountain on the head of the south branch of the North River... over two of the branches of Cattle Run... granted to Robert Martin by pattent 13 May 1735. (signed) Robert Martin. Wit: Z. Lewis, Robt. Turner.
- 15 June 1736. Acknowledged by Robt. Martin.
- 16 Aug. 10 George II . Commission to Thomas Chew, James Barbour and Charles Curtis, Gent., to take the acknowledgement of Ann Martin to the deed of 1000 acres by her husband Robert Martin to John Tenent 14-15 June 1736. Certification of relinquishment of dower right by Ann Martin 21 Sept. 1736. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 1, Dorman, pg. 21].
- Page 787.--8th August, 1750. Robert Martin, of St. Thomas Parrish, Orange Co., and Ann, to Jeremiah Early, of St. Thomas Parrish, Culpeper Co., Gilgo Run, Hawkbill, 400 acres patented to Robert, 20th September, 1745. Delivered: Francis Kirkley, February, 1755. Teste: Johnny Scott, Haniry Trover (?), Richard Martin.
Will of Robert Martin
Abstract of will of Robert Martin, Recorded in Orange County Will Book 3, pages 49-50.
- Will of ROBERT MARTANE . . . I lend unto Anne, my beloved wife, all my estate . . . John Young, one shilling for marrying his wife's sister . . . my daughter, Sarah, one shiling for marrying her brother in law . . . two granddaughters, Nancy and Jane young, ten pounds a peace . . . (proceeds from sale of land) . . . amongst my son, Richard Martane's children . . . my daughter, Amelia Brockman, one still which she has in her possession . . . after my wife, Anne Martane, decease, that my estate be sold . . . equally divided between two sons, Robert Martane and George Martane, and my three daughters, Elizabeth Howherd, Frankey Hobday and Anne White . . . appoint my son, Robert Martane, and my friend, Johnny Scott, my executors . . . Anne Martane, my executrix . . . this 24th day of September 1781.
- Robert Martane
- Witnesses: Johnny Scott, William Sutton, A. Madison, George Martin.
- At a court held 27 February 1783. Presented . . . William Young, their security . . . bond in the penalty of one thousand pounds.
Records of Robert Martin in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 162.--5th April, 1755. Jeremiah Early, of Culpeper, to Francis Kirtley, Jr., £100, 200 acres, part of 400 acres patented to Ro. Martin, 20th September, 1745, on Jilgo run. Elk Run; Livery, etc. Teste: Francis Kirtley, Sr., Jeremiah Earley, Jr., Wm. and Thos. Kirtley, Jno. Earley and Thos. Staunton.
- Page 229.--12th November, 1755. Same (From David Robinson) to William Graham, £122, 100 acres, part of 400 above (part of 400 conveyed to David by George Robinson, 29th November, 1769 (1749?), on Buffalo Creek of Roan Oak.), adjoining above. Teste: Robt. Martin, James Neelly.
- Page 770.--21st July, 1764. Joshua Hedley, executor of Joshua Hedley, deceased, to Malcome Allen, of Prince Edward County, Virginia, £16, 50 acres by patent, 3d November, 1750, called the Pound Bottoms, beginning south side James River, at the lower end of the Bottom, a hill opposite an island. Teste: Hugh Martin, Martha Allen, Hugh Allen, Robert ( ) Martin. Mary ( ) McElheny. Delivered: Francis Smith, 1st October, 1767.
- Page 145.--20th November, 1766. James Shaw to Robert Hall, of Orange County, North Carolina, £4, 1/4 acre, part of Samuel Furguson's lot No. 15 in Staunton. Teste: Robert Martin, Thomas Brown and James Crow.
Records of Robert Martin in Orange County, VA
- Robert Martin was on the Jury in Orange County, Virginia in "John Chapman vs. William Richardson" in 1735. [Orange County Virginia Judgements - 1736, Dorman, pg. 80].
- Charles Turnbull vs. Robert Martin.
- Account, 1733, for various goods, £3.8.7, less payments; balance £1.19.7. Robert Martin is a tailor in Spotsylvania County. Summons to Robert Martin, 18 May , executed 29 May 1736 by Gideon Marr. Judgment. [Orange County Virginia Judgements - 1736, Dorman, pg. 83].
- Robert Martin was on the Jury in Orange County, Virginia in "John Bruce vs. Francis Williams" in 1735. [Orange County Virginia Judgements - 1736, Dorman, pg. 86].
- Pages 301-05. 25-26 Nov. 1741. Henry Haines of Caroline County, planter to Benja. Win [Winn] of Orange County, planter. Lease and release; for £24 current money. 400 acres granted to Henry Haines by pattent 26 March 1739... north side of a branch of Pretty's Creek... side of a hill by a poison field... (signed) Henry Haynes. Wit: Henry Rice, Joseph Bloodworth, Robt. Martin. 26 Nov. 1741. Acknowledged by Henry Haynes. Mary wife of Henry relinquished her right of dower. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 6, Dorman, pg. 35].
- Robert Martin listed on Orange County Tithables - 1757; - 10 tithables.
- Robert Martin listed on Orange County Tithables - 1758; - 10 tithables.
- Robert Martin listed on Orange County Tithables - 1759; - 9 tithables.
- Robert Martin was listed in the estate records of Capt. Taverner Beale on 21 Oct. 1767. [Orange County Virginia Will Book 2, Dorman, pg. 78].