m. Bef. 1725
- Robert Hall1725 - 1790
Facts and Events
Robert Hall was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 399.--19th August, 1760. James ( ) Hall and Susanna ( ) to Robert Hall, £10, 212 acres on Cowpasture River; cor. to tract formerly in possession of Michael Rainey, but now Charles Gillum.
- Page 145.--20th November, 1766. James Shaw to Robert Hall, of Orange County, North Carolina, £4, 1/4 acre, part of Samuel Furguson's lot No. 15 in Staunton. Teste: Robert Martin, Thomas Brown and James Crow.
- Page 106.--10th November, 1772. William Jackson, of Orange County, North Carolina, to Robert Hall. Patent to William Jackson, deceased, 1st June, 1750, on Jackson's River, and conveyed by his son and heir, William Jackson, aforesaid. Teste: George Rutledge, Charles ( ) Hay, Lew Bowyer.
- Page 203.--1,000 acres on Jackson's River, patented to William Jackson, 1st June, 1750. Patent to Robert Hall, 7th February, 1784. Teste: A. Stuart, Joseph Jewell, Michael ( ) Cawley, J. Lyle, Jr.
- Page 231.--71 acres on Jackson's River, patented to Robert Hall. 18th March, 1784.
- Page 234.--145 acres on Jackson's River, patented to Robert Hall, 7th February, 1784.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 385.--25th January, 1770. Robert Hall and Isbaella ( ), of Orange County, North Carolina, to Andrew Donnaly, £70, 150 acres by patent, 3d November, 1750, to James Hall, deceased, father to Robert, on Stewart's Mill Creek. Teste: Richard Holeman, James Paris, Edward ( ) Long, Chas. Lewis, Hugh Hicklin, James Bodkin. Delivered: Andrew Donnerly, December, 1775.
- Page 308.--14th February, 1772. Robert Hall and Isabella to Joseph Gwinn (Gween). Delivered: Grantee Joseph Gwinn, 29th April 1806.
- Page 32.--17th November, 1772. Robert Hall and Isbel (Elesbet) ( ) to John Readpath, of Staunton, 1/4 acre, one of County lots conveyed to James Shaw and by Shaw to Robert, north of Samuel Moore's lot, and part of Samuel Forgason's lot No. 15.
- Page 254.--3d September, 1788. Robert Hall and Isabella to Jacob Warrick (deed dated 14th July, 1788). Privy examination before James Wilson and Samuel Vance.
Processioning List of 1765 & 1767/68
- "Processioning" was the process or periodically reviewing and agreeing upon property lines between settlers. Processioning Lists can be useful in determining the area of a settler and the neighboring settlers at a specific time period:
- Page 407.--1765: Thomas Feemster and Wm. Black procession as follows: For Joseph Hays, for Jno. McCreary, for Wm. Black, for James Knox for James Shaw, for Geo. Lewis, for James Clemens, for Hugh Hicklin, for Chas. Lewis, for Thos. Feemster, for Jno. Kinkead, for Robt. Hall, for Benj. Estill, for Wm. Jeeson, for James Botkin.
- Processioned by Hugh Hicklin, part of Bullpasture and part of Cowpasture: For William Martin, for Thomas Hamilton, for Lofftus Pullins, for James Bodkins, for Robt. Hall, for James Burnsides, for John Hicklin, for James Clemens, for William Stewart, for Robt. Carlile. Processioned by John Gillespie and Andw. McClure: For William Tease, Saml. Steele, John and Wm. Finley, John Ramsey, John Black, John Patrick, Charles Tease, Andw. Russell, Wm. Russell, Wm. Skillren, James Alexander, Andw. McClure, Francis Alexander, Wm. Logan, Zachariah Johnston, James Thompson, James Galespie, John Williams, Hugh McClure, Samuel McClure, Saml. Frazier, Andw. Russell, John Graham, John Hutchison, Wm. Hutchison, Saml. Pilson, Zachariah Smith, John Gray.
Records of Robert Hall in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 301.--16th May, 1759. Thomas Hicklin's bond (with James Hall, Robert Hall) as administrator of John Smith.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 21, 1759. - (318) Isabella Hall (now wife of Robert Hall), qualified admx. of her late husband, Robert Ramsey. (Note: Isabella's first husband Robert Ramsey was a victim in the 1st Kerr's Creek Massacre on 10 Oct. 1759).
- Page 338.--21st November, 1759. Robert Hall's bond (with Jno. Bigham, Saml. Tencher) as administrator of Ro. Ramsey.
- Page 413.--8th July, 1760. Robert Ramsey's additional appraisement and sale bill, by Andw. Hamilton, James Calile. James Campbell--To Robt. Hall, James Given, James Hall, James Shaw, Daniel Harrah (O'Hara); to liquor at the vendue; balance due the orphans.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1762. - Stuart vs. Lusk.--17th June, 1757. Received of James Hall, £2.5.0, part of County dues, 1753 and 1754. 25th November, 1754, received of Robert Hall, on account of his father's quit rents for year 1754.
- Page 185.--19th April, 1763. Charles Gillham annd Elisabeth ( ) to James Bodkin, £41, 216 acres on the Cowpasture; corner tract formerly in possession of James Hall, now Robt. Hall. Teste: George Skillem, Ezekiel Gillham, John Carlile.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 22, 1764. - (410) Commission for examination of Amey, wife of Henry Smith. John Bigham, security for Isabella Hall, admx. of her late husband, Robert Ramsey, prays counter security from Isabella and her husband, Robert Hall.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1765 (A). - Grand Jury presentments.-- Isabella Hall, late Isabella Ramsey, administratrix of Robert Ramsey.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1767 (D). - Major Robert Breckenridge, Dr. 1759. To my pay as a soldier, 44 days @ 1/, £2, 4, 0. Robert Hall. I certify that Robert Hall served as a soldier 44 days and now is discharged, this 22d February, 1759. Robt. Breckenridge.
- Page 255.--16th May, 1767. James Botkin and Dinah ( ) to Robert Carlile, £50, 216 acres on Cowpasture River; corner a tract in possession of Robert Hall. Teste: John Carlile, Jas. Bradshaw, Wm. Black.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 19, 1767. - (224) Robert Hall and Isabella, late Isabella Ramsey, ruled to give John Bigham counter security as surety for their administration of her husband's (Robert Ramsey's) estate.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1767 (E). - Robert Hall vs. Robert Armstrong.--Bond, 26th September, 1764, by defendant to plaintiff, of Orange County, Province of North Carolina.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1768 (D). - Robert Hall vs. Major Robert Breckenridge.--1759.--to my pay as a soldier. 44 days @ 1/ = £2, 4, 0. Hall's discharge dated 22d February 1759. Summons dated 28th November, 1768.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1779 (M). - Andrew Bourland, son and heir of James Bourland, deceased, vs. Robert Hall, Archibald Bourland and William Jackson, son and heir of William Jackson, deceased.--Spa. Chancery, dated 28th August, 1773. Not executed.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 21, 1780. - (190) Following allowed for military services: Robert Hall, in Capt. Preston's Company of Rangers in 1758: also John Vahab, Wm. Stuart, John Bodkin and Hugh Bodkin; John Graham, grandson of John Craham, who served in Capt. Preston's Company of Rangers, 1758; James Bodkin, in Capt. Preston's Company of Rangers, 1758--50 acres each.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 17, 1785. - (159) Robert Hall vs. Richard Buchanan.--All the attorneys being retained by defendant, the Court assigns George Nicholas for plaintiff.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1785--November 15, Christopher Snedicor and Nancy Hall, daughter Robert Hall; surety, John Berry; witness, Robert Given.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1786--April 8, Robert Hutchison and Jane Hall, daughter of Robert Hall; surety, W. Urquhart; witnesses, John Berry, Robert Ramsey, James Hall.
Help fund new features!