Facts and Events
Robert Grey was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 167.--21st March, 1753. David Kerr and Kathrine, to Robert Gray, 200 acres of 92100, in Borden's tract; Joseph Kennedy's Mill Creek; McNut's line; John Kerr's line. (Note: as listed in records below, this land in the "Borden Tract" was adjoining a tract acquired by Robert's father-in-law just five months later in August, 1753).
Acquisition of Land from Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Vol. 2:
- H-301: Robert Grey of Augusta County, 350 acres in said County in Powel's Fort on Passage Creek. Surveyed Mr. R. Rutherford. Adj. Thomas Grey. 25 April 1753. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 68]. (Note: this MAY be for this Robert Grey. According to "Pioneers of Old Frederick County", by Cecil O'Dell, this tract was sold to William Whitson in 1755).
Acquisition of Land in North Carolina:
Robert Grey received the following land in North Carolina from his father-in-law, Francis Beatty, as listed in his will (1773):
- Item I will and bequeath to my well beloved son-in law Robert Grey his heirs and assigns forever a tract of 400 acres of land in Tryon County on both sides of First Broad River including the Holton Rocker Cove provided that his son John Grey shall be entitled to a 1/3 of the value thereof. And I give 5 pounds proc to his daughter Elizabeth Grey to buy her a Bible and the Works of Mr. Andrew Grey.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 241.--18th November, 1760 [sic, s/b 1768]. Robert Gray, of Rowan County; North Carolina, by John Tate, attorney, to James Craige, 5 shillings, 200 acres in Borden's tract; corner to tract sold by Francis Beaty on Flat Spring Run; corner Thomas Berry; conveyed by Borden, Jr., to David Kerr and by David and Katherine to Robert. Teste: Gabriel Madison, John Frogg, Luke Bowyer. (Note: Robert Gray and his father-in-law Francis Beatty both sold their adjoining tracts in the Borden Tract on the same day, and are listed consecutively in Chalkley's).
Land Acquisitions in North Carolina
- William Millikan and Jane his wife of Guilford to Robert Gray, of same, 9 February 1772, 252 acres, one hundred pounds, seventy five pounds in hand paid, on the ridge between waters of Deep R. & Carrawy, begin at a post oak, N 61 ch to a post oak # 50 ch to a post Sanuel Millikan's corner, his line S14 67 ch to a post W82 58 ch along his line to a post S45 86 ch along Samuel Millikan's line, @ 41 ch to beginning; signed: William Millikan, Jane Millikan; witness: Samuel Millikan, Edward Sharp; proved May 1772 Term by Sharp.
- William Millikan & Jane his wife of Guilford to Robert Grey of same, 29 February 1772, one hundred pounds, twenty five pounds in hand paid, 168 acres, lying on a ridge between the waters of Deep R. & Carrawy, joins William Thornborough, begin at a black oak, N 29 ch to a post oak on Thornborough's line, along his line W 58 ch to a white oak Thornborough's cor, S along Samuel Millikan's line 29 ch, 58 ch to the beginning; signed: William Millikan, Jane Millikan; witness: Saml Millikan, Edward Sharp: proved May 1772 Term by Sharp.
Records of Robert Grey in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 355.--28th May, 1751. Tasker Tosh to Thomas Tosh, 120 acres on North Bank of Roanoke River, commonly called Goose Creek, Goose Creek of Roanoke. Teste: Robert Grey, James McKeachey, Francis Beatey.
- Page 381.--13th August, 1753. John Kerr (Carr) and Ann to Francis Beaty, 336 acres. From Borden to John, 1750. joining above Francis, Robert Gray and David Kerr, Joseph Kennerley's Mill Creek. Teste: Robert Robinson, David Kerr, Robert Wilson. Livery by a key of the door of the Mansion House.
- Page 339.--20th August, 1754. David Kerr and Catherine, plantationer, to Arthur Kennedy, taylor, £57, 168 acres on Joseph Kennedy's Mill Creek, part of 368 acres purchased by David from Kerr; corner to Robt. Gray, who possesses the other part of the tract; McNut's line; corner Francis Beaty. Teste: John Wardlaw, William Gray.
- Vol. 2 - List of Delinquents; 1755 - Francis Beatey, Rob. Campbell, Ro. Gray. (listed among many others).
- Page 87.--3d May, 1755. Arthur Kennedy and Jane, taylor, to Thomas Berry, plantationer, £56.12.6, 168 acres purchased by Arthur from David Kerr on Capt. Joseph Kennedy's Mill Creek, part of Borden's tract; corner Robert Gray's line; McNut's new line; corner Francis Beatey. Jeane (mark)Kennedy. Livery by a rail in the fence.
- Page 242.--21st June, 1763 . Thomas Berry and Esther to James Berry, son of Thomas, £25, 168 acres purchased by Thomas from Arthur Kenedy on Capt. Joseph Kennedy's Mill Creek, in Burden's tract; corner Robert Gray; McNutt's new line; corner Francis Beaty. Teste: Alexander McNutt, Jas. McNutt, Thomas Berry, Jr. Delivered: James Berry, April, 1765.
- Page 311.--20th August, 1771. James Berry and Elizabeth ( ) to James McKemy, £115, 168 acres purchased by James Berry from Thomas Berry, his father, on Cap. Joseph Kennedy's Mill Creek, in Borden's 92100; corner Robert Gray's land, McNutt's new line; corner Francis Beatie's land. Teste: James Cooper, John McCutchen, John Malcom. Delivered: Wm. McKemy. 19th June, 1772.