Facts and Events
Robert Gragg was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 166.--16th February, 1763. William Wilson and Agness to Robt. Gragg, £20, 200 acres, part of 400 acres on North Fork of North River of Shanandoe patented to William, 25th March, 1752; David Williams' land. Delivered: Frederick Michael, 7th March, 1792.
- Page 258.--19th May, 1767. William Shannon and Jean ( ) to Robert Gragg, £35, 100 acres, part of 400 patented to William Humphrey, 25th June, 1747, and by him conveyed to Henry Smith, and by him to Wm. Shannon, on North River Shanando, white oak on Castle Hill. Teste: Samuel McFeeters, Moses Hall, John ( ) Cozby. Delivered: Frederick Michael, 7th March, 1792.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 332.--31st October, 1788. Robert Gragg to Frederick Michel, of Rockingham, 513 acres patented to Robert, 6th April, 1769; 70 acres on Nores Run of North River of Shanidore, patented to Robert, 10th April, 1781; 400 acres patented to Robert, 1st June, 1782; near Castle Hill.
- Page 519.--Patent to Alex. Brownlee, 20th June, 1749, on north side of the southermost branch of the North River. Delivered: Robert and Samuel Gragg.
- Page 341.--1st June, 1756. Silas Hart, gent., and Jane to John Smith, Jr., 230 acres, part of 400 acres patented to Jno. McClure, 15th December, 1749, and conveyed by McClure to Hart, on South Fork of North River of Shannandore. Teste: Jno. Malkem, Alexander Herring, Robert Gragg. Recorded on motion of Daniel Smith on behalf of John. Delivered: Henry Smith, 28th July, 1764.
- Page 423.--20th May, 1765. Walter Trimble and Rosanna ( ) to their son, Robert Trimble, £95, 370 acres on Free Mason's Run, a branch of North River Shanandore. Teste: George Moffet, William Shanan, Robert Gragg.
- Page 417.--18th August, 1767. Edwad Erwin to William Shannon, release deed for 400 acres mortgaged by grantee to grantor, 20th March, 1765. Moses Hall, Samuel McFeeters, Robert Gragg. Delivered: Col. Abraham Smith, 25th October, 1768.
- Page 325.--19th September, 1780. Edward Erwin (Irvine) and Mary, to Benj. Crow. of Rockingham, part of 400 acres patented to Alex. Brownlee, 12th June, 1749. Teste: James Gauy (Guy), Francis Mara, Robert ( ) Gregg.
- Page 280.--Patent to David Hogshead, 1st June, 1782. Teste: Robert Gragg, John Davis, Jas. Hogshead.
- Page 117.--26th March, 1785. Arthur Edwards and Jane ( ) to Thos. Gragg. Teste: Robert Gragg. Sr., John Hair. Robert Gragg, Jr.
- Page 76.--On Thorn Branch, patented to Robert Gragg, Jr. Teste: Thomas Greene, Wm. McKemy, Richard ( ) Cain.
From "The Gregg Family History Project Website":
Robert Gragg lived in Augusta County, Virginia, approximately 38 years and all of his known children were born there. As nearly as can be determined, he moved into the county with his father's family, about the year 1750. According to historians, the country now embraced in Augusta County was not entered by white men until the year 1716. The area was originally inhabited by Shawnee Indians. The first permanent settlement by white people in this section of Virginia was in 1726, on the Shenandoah River, a few miles below the present town of Port Republic. Although some were of German and English decent, the early settlers were almost exclusively of the Scotch-Irish race, natives of the north of Ireland, but of Scottish ancestry. Many had first settled in the south-central part of Pennsylvania, then migrated farther to the south and west to the Shenandoah Valley. Most of those early immigrants were dissenters from the Church of England - they were Presbyterian faith and victims of religious persecution in their native land. They were generally a profoundly religious people, bringing the Bible with them and as soon as possible erected log meeting houses in which to assemble for the worship of God. The Church of England was established by law throughout the colony but while a spirit of intolerance and inseparation from such a system prevailed in other parts of Virginia, the dissenters of the Valley had very little to complain about. The first Presbyterian minister in the Valley was the Rev. John Craig, born 1709, in County Antrim, Ireland. He was educated at Edinburg, was licensed to preach in 1737, and came to Augusta County in 1740. Augusta County was formed from Orange County in 1738. The new county consisted of all that portion of the Colony of Virginia, which lay west of the Blue Ridge Mountains; bounded on the north by the boundaries of Maryland, Pennsylvania, and the Rappahannock River on the west its territory embraced all of the land claimed by the British, without limit or extent and on the south by the Carolina line.
Augusta County was named in honor of Princess Augusta, wife of Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, the father of George
III. After about 35 years of pioneering and living in Augusta County, Robert sold his land and buildings and moved to Holston Country (Tennessee). Augusta County court records show, "22 October 1788, Robert Gragg about to move to the frontier of North Carolina." The records also reveal that Robert sold his 513 acres of land to Frederick Michel of Rockingham County, Virginia.
3. Robert Gragg (son of John Gragg). See book written by George Robert Gragg -- "Gragg Descent."