- H. Lt. Robert Dunlap1740 - 1781
- W. Mary GayEst 1743 -
Facts and Events
Lt. Robert Dunlap was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Page 126.--14th February, 1761. John Dunlupe (Dunlap, Dunlop, Dunlape) to Robert Dunlape, £100, 295 acres on Calfpasture, part of 625 acres on Mill Creek, the river where the Creek empties. Teste: Arwaker Johnston, James Beard, Jas. Trimble. (Note: this land was conveyed to Robert Dunlap from his uncle John Dunlap. It was part of the land where Robert's father Alexander Dunlap settled on the Calfpasture that was conveyed to John Dunlap after Alexander Dunlap died).
Records of Robert Dunlap in Augusta County VA
- Page 351.--2d September, 1773. James Gay and Jane to John Gay, on Cromby's Run, a branch of the Cowpasture. Teste: John Dunlap, Robert Dunlap, James Elliott.
- Page 492.--18th August, 1775. John Gay's will, of the Calfpasture--To wife, Jean; to daughter, Agness; to son, John; to daughter, Mary; to daughter, Jean; to daughter, Elizabeth. Executors, Robert Dunlap, Samuel Ramsey, James Crockett. Teste: The executors. Proved, 18th March, 1777, by Dunlap and Crockett. Samuel Ramsey to be summoned whether he will execute, and on 20th May, 1777, Ramsey refuses. Administration granted John and Jane Gay, who qualify.
- Page 434.--23d September, 1776. James Gay's will--To wife, Jean; to son, John, 5 shillings; to son, James, land adjoining John in the Cowpasture; to son, Robert, land testator lives on; to son, Samuel, tract on Mill Creek in Cowpasture; to daughter, Agness; to daughter, Jean; to daughter, Mary; to daughter, Marthew. Executors, wife Jean Gay and Robert Dunlap. Teste: James Elliot, John Dunlap. 19th November, 1776, proved by the witnesses. Executors qualify.
- Page 516.--19th August, 1777. Recorded. John Gay's appraisement by Robert Dunlap, James Stevenson, James Elliott.
- 1785 - James Coursey, wed Mary Dunlap ; Dunlap (Robert Dunlap) Heirs vs Hamilton, Heirs-lists family members; Chalkley's Augusta Co Abstracts -will dated 1/23/1781 - proved Rockbridge Md 3/5/1782 (Dates of Robert Dunlap's will dated and proven)
- APRIL, 1801 (A to H). - Dunlap (John, son of John, Rockbridge) vs. Dunlap (John, son of Robert)--Slander.
- Vol. 2 - Dunlap's Heirs vs. Hamilton's Heirs--O. S. 100; N. S. 34--Orators are viz: John, Robert, Alexander, William and Polly Dunlap, David McKee and Anne his wife, William Denniston and Peggy his wife, Samuel McCutchin and Nancy his wife, children and legatees of Robert Dunlap. Robert Dunlap died 1781 testate, will in Rockbridge. His wife was Mary. Alexander Hamilton qualified as executor and died intestate, having first conveyed all his estate to sons James and Charles Hamilton. Mary Dunlap married James Coursey, 3d February, 1785. Robert Dunlap had a brother, Alexr. Dunlap, and a brother, John. Robert Dunlap's will dated 23d January, 1781, of Rockbridge. Wife, Mary; son, William, eldest; devisee, Alexander Dunlap; son, Alexander Dunlap, 2d son; daughter, Ann, eldest; daughter, Margaret, 2d daughter; son, Robert, land in Kentucky; son, John; daughter, Mary. Proved in Rockbridge 5th March, 1782. Deed 14th February, 1792. Alexr. Hamilton, of Bath, to James Hamilton, of Bath. Natural love and affection. Proved in Bath, February, 1792. Will of John Dunlap of Rockbridge, dated 25th February, 1804. Wife, Ann; son, Alexander, land in Kentucky; daughter, Elizabeth Gay and her son Robert Gay, 3,000 acres including the old town of Cilicotha, on the Ohio; son, James, part of Chilicotha above; daughter, Ann Bratton, part of Chilicotha above; daughter, Mary Hodge, part of Chilicotha, her son, Saml. Hodge. To Lebanon Meeting House, $20 to be laid out in helping to raise a gallery in said house for the use of negro slaves. Proved in Rockbridge, 3d April, 1804.
From Rockbridge Co., VA Chancery Records:
Online 12-11 at http://www.lva.virginia.gov/chancery/; LocalityIndex NumberOriginal Case Number AUGUSTA CO 1808-074 100 Plaintiff(s)Defendant(s) HEIR(S) OF ROBERT DUNLAP, JAMES HAMILTON ETC, Wills: 1782 ROBERT DUNLAP OF ROCKBRIDGE CO VA and 1804 JOHN DUNLAP OF ROCKBRIDGE CO VA, Cannot view any details, says original. Surnames involved. ABBY~, ADAM~, ARMSTRONG, BEALTON, BEN~, BOWYER, BRATTON, CALE, COURSEY, DAVIS, DENNISTON, DUNLAP, EASTHAM, FAN~, GAY, GEORGE~, HAMELTON, HAMILTON, HODGE, HUGHART, JACKSON, KELSO, MCCUTCHIN, MCKEE, MINTEY~, NAESBIT, NESBIT,OLD PHILL~, PECK, PHILIP~, POLLY~, REARDON, SOOK~, VANEE, WILLSON, and YOUNG PHILL~.