m. ABT 1759
m. 17 JAN 1775
Facts and Events
Robert Bell, Sr. [son of Samuel Bell and ? ?] born: 1731/1732 - Ulster, Ireland or Pennsylvania died: February 1816 - Davidson County, Tennessee 1st marriage: c1763 - Orange County, North Carolina which was later Guilford County 1st wife: Catherine Walker [daughter of John Walker and Catherine Rutherford]
[NOTE: this Catherine Rutherford does not seem to fit age wise as a daughter of John Walker and Catherine Rutherford, and this resesearcher cannot find a daughter named Catherine for John Walker and Katherine Rutherford]
born: Orange County, North Carolina died: after 16 December 1770 - Guilford County, North Carolina
Children of Robert Bell, Sr. and Catherine Walker Bell:
1. Mary Bell born: 4 November 1763 - Rowan County, North Carolina which was later Guilford County died: 23 September 1827 - married: 5 August 1788 - Sumner County, Tennessee husband: Thomas Williamson [son of James Williamson and Sarah ?] born: 30 November 1767 - Montgomery County, Virginia died: 11 September 1825 - Jackson, Madison County, Tennessee
2. Samuel Bell born: 11 February 1766 - Rowan County, North Carolina which was later Guilford County died: 1836 - Davidson County, Tennessee married: 16 June 1791 - Davidson County, Tennessee wife: Margaret Edmiston [daughter of John Edmiston and ? ?] born: 23 January 1773 died: 6 July 1830 - Davidson County, Tennessee
Children of Samuel Bell and Margaret Edmiston Bell:
2.1. John Bell born: 15 February 1797 - Davidson County, Tennessee died: 10 September 1869 - Dickson County, Tennessee buried: Mount Olivet Cemtery - Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee 1st wife: Sally Dickinson born: died: 1832 - Tennessee 2nd marriage: November 1835 - Davidson County, Tennessee 2nd wife: Jane Patton Erwin (1st husband was Thomas Yeatman) [daughter of Andrew Erwin, Sr. and Jane Patton] born: 22 October 1798 - Buncombe County, North Carolina died: 15 October 1877 - Maury County, Tennessee
3. Ann Bell born: 27 June 1768 - Rowan County, North Carolina later Guilford County died: 24 December 1860 married: 4 November 1790 - Davidson County, Tennessee husband: William Marshall born: 2 November 1757 died: 27 January 1826 or c1856
4. Robert Bell, Jr. (twin) Cumberland Presbyterian Minister born: 16 December 1770 - Caswell County, North Carolina died: 9 October 1853 - Pontotoc, Pontotoc County, Mississippi married: 29 April 1794 - Logan County, Kentucky wife: Grizzell McCutcheon [daughter of John McCutcheon and Elizabeth Weir] born: 2 February 1775 - Washington County, Virginia died: c1854 - Pontotoc County, Mississippi
Children of Robert Bell and Grizzell McCutcheon Bell:
4.1. John Bell born: 1792 - died: 1860 - New Orleans, Louisiana buried: near Handsboro, Harrison County, Mississippi [served in the Civil War] married: 1816 - Tennessee wife: Lucinda Handley [daughter of Samuel Handley and ? ?] born: c1800 - Tennessee died: 1857 - Handsboro, Harrison County, Mississippi buried: near Handsboro, Harrison County, Mississippi
Children of John Bell and Lucinda Handly Bell:
4.1.1. Robert Walker Bell born: 28 January 1818 - Tennessee died: 24 September 1865 married: 4 November 1852 - Pine Bluff, Arkansas wife: Margaret Williams Chancellor born: 6 July 1828 - Virginia died: 3 November 1925
4.1.2. Claiborne Handly Bell Cumberland Presbyterian Minister born: December 1821 - near Aberdeen, Monroe County, Mississippi died: 16 November 1909 - Lebanon, Wilson County, Tennessee 1870 Census - Lafayette County, Mississippi 1880 Census - Saint Louis County, Missouri 1900 Census - Colbert County, Mississippi buried: 18 November 1909 - Mississippi City, Harrison County, Mississippi married: 1 December 1858 - Handsboro, Harrison County, Mississippi wife: Louisa "Lou" G. Washington [daughter of Col. Fairfax Washington and ? ?] born: May 1835 - Virginia died: after 1910 1870 Census - Lafayette County, Mississippi 1880 Census - Saint Louis County, Missouri 1900 Census - Colbert County, Mississippi 1910 Census - Harrison County, Mississippi
4.1.3. Mary Jane Bell born: 1823 - Tennessee died: 1879 - Waco Texas husband: ? McGaughy
4.1.4. Harriett N. Bell born: 18 October 1825 - Tennessee died: 26 September 1908 - Pilot Point, Denton County, Texas buried: Pilot Point Community Cemetery - Pilot Point, Denton County, Texas married: 1857 - Pilot Point, Denton County, Texas husband: Nicholas Alexander Barbe born: 10 February 1827 in Russia (?) died: 4 January 1907 - Pilot Point, Denton County, Texas buried: Pilot Point Community Cemetery - Pilot Point, Denton County, Texas
4.1.5. Elizabeth Grizelda Bell born: 10 March 1832 - died: 7 August 1883 husband: Robert Handley [son of Samuel Handley and ? ?]
4.1.6. William Bell died young
4.1.7. Martha Bell buried: Pilot Point, Denton County, Texas husband: ? Davidson buried: Pilot Point, Denton County, Texas
4.2. Robert Bell, Jr. born: died: 15 September 1824 - Mississippi
4.3. Catherine Bell born: 1802 - Kentucky died: married: 22 September 1821 husband: John R. Haynes Cumberland Presbyterian Minister born: 28 January 1798 - North Carolina died: 1 May 1895 - Denton, Denton County, Texas
4.4. Elizabeth Bell born: 1799 died: 1893 husband: Robert Cowan Handley born: died: 27 September 1841
4.5. ? Bell born: died: husband: W. W. Leland
5. Catherine Bell (twin) born: 16 December 1770 - Caswell County, North Carolina died: 31 March 1859 - Davidson County, Tennessee buried: McCutchen-Bryn Cemetery - Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee married: 6 August 1791 - Davidson County, North Carolina husband: Samuel McCutchen [son of James M. McCutchen, Sr. and Griselda "Grisal" Campbell] born: 13 April 1759 - Augusta County, Virginia died: 19 February 1816 -Williamson County, Tennessee buried: McCutchen-Bryn Cemetery - Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee
2nd marriage of Robert Bell, Sr: 17 January 1775 - Guilford County, North Carolina 2nd wife: Mary Boyd [daughter of ? Boyd and ? ?] born: c1754 - North Carolina died: after 1802 - Davidson County, Tennessee
Children of Robert Bell, Sr. and Mary Boyd Bell:
6. John Bell born: 9 December 1776 - Guilford County, North Carolina died: c1823 married: 8 March 1810 - Tennessee wife: Sarah Bell born: c1775
7. James Bell born: 23 August 1777 - Guilford County, North Carolina died: 23 June 1823 - Wilson County, Tennessee wife: Mary Dean born: 12 July 1777 - Virginia died: 8 August 1829 - Wilson County, Tennessee
8. Hugh Bell born: 1 May 1779 - Guilford County, North Carolina died: married: 15 November 1800 - Davidson County, Tennessee wife: Margaret McKinney
9. Daniel Bell born: c1780 - Guilford County, North Carolina died: c1814 - in Battle of New Orleans, War of 1812
10. Francis Bell born: 23 November 1782 - Guilford County, North Carolina died: 21 June 1866 - Menard County, Illinois married: 21 July 1807 - Davidson County, Tennessee wife: Peggy Bailes born: 1807 died: 15 September 1807 - Davidson County, Tennessee 2nd marriage of Francis Bell: 6 January 1809 - Davidson County, Tennessee 2nd wife: Elizabeth Allen born: 14 February 1790 - Breson, Rowan County, North Carolina died: 15 August 1835 - Greene County, Illinois
11. David Bell born: 2 July 1786 - Sumner County, Tennessee died: 1 August 1863 married: 14 April 1814 - Davidson County, Tennessee wife: Elizabeth Edmiston born: 29 October 1792 - Virginia died: 4 September 1862
12. Thomas Bell born: 13 September 1789 - Davidson County, Tennessee died: c1879 - Davidson County, Tennessee married: 10 November 1815 - Davidson County, Tennessee wife: Martha Edmiston
13. Sarah Bell born: c1792 - Davidson County, Tennessee died: 3 March 1848 - Greene County, Illinois married: 6 June 1815 - Davidson County, Tennessee husband: John Allen born: 17 December 17921 - Breson, Rowan County, North Carolina died: 16 February 1841 - Greene County, Illinois
14. William Bell born: c1793 - Davidson County, Tennessee died: Gallatin, Tennessee
15. Nathaniel Bell born: c1793 - Davidson County, Tennessee died: c1844 married: 18 January 1823 wife: Eleanor Johnston
16. Jane Bell born: 24 July 1795 - Davidson County, Tennessee died: 25 August 1860 married: 2 July 1818 - Gallatin, Tennessee husband: Peter Hines Martin born: 4 November 1793 died: 26 July 1849
17. Abraham Bell born: before 1795 - Davidson County, Tennessee died: Mississippi
18. Rebecca Bell born: before 1795 - Davidson County, Tennessee died: February 1816 - Davidson County, Tennessee
Robert Bell (1736-1816)
OVERVIEW From the Draper MSC Collection, See Reference for Source details Maj. Robt. Bell was born in Penn – at 12 years of age his father moved to Amherst County, VA. – subsequently to Caswell, & in '71 to Guilford County, N.C. When he, Maj. B., was about 34 years old. At the age of 28, he had married Miss Catherine Walker, by whom he had 3 sons & 3 daughters; married a second time in Guilford County in Dec. '74 to Miss Mary Boyd, by whom he had 10 sons & 3 daughters – 19 children in all, of whom 11 were living in 1841. When the Revolution broke out, he commanded a company and served throughout the war – went with his company on Gen. Rutherford's campaign in '76 against the Cherokees – there was no fighting, for the S.C. troops had met & defeated the Indians previous to Rutherford's joining them – however the North Carolina troops burnt some Indian towns, destroyed corn – Maj. Bell fought at the battle of Eutaw Springs under Gen. Pickens – at the close of which, he was placed in command of the guard that conveyed the prisoners 22 miles to a place of security. They had marched 6 miles before engaging – making 28 miles march that day, beside the engagement. Gen. Greene in consideration of Bell's good services promoted him to a Majority in the regular service. Major Bell was in a private capacity at the siege of Ninety-Six; & was often out against the Tories. He was temporarily absent from the army after a supply of corn, or he would have taken part at Guilford battle.
In 1785 Majr. Bell emigrated to Sumner county in the Cumberland Country – since Tennessee. In the fall of '92 there were **rted at Maj. Bell's a dozen families, & when getting logs to stockade the place, 40 Indians were lurking about but did not attack the fort. Maj. Bell was much of a military man – was a professor of religion from a young man. In '98 or '99 removed from Sumner County to Mill Creek in Davidson: He died of the cold plague in January, 1816, in his 80th year, while at John Edmondson's, in the neighborhood of the Hermitage: was born in Dec. 1736. His son Nathaniel sickened with the cold plague, a terrible malignant disease, while at Edmondson's, & Maj. Bell & one of his daughters went to minister to him – he recovered , but the aged father & daughter were seized by the fearful malady & died – Edmondson also died, & there were 4 corpses in the house at the same time.
 Vita Born: Married: Catherine Walker c. 1759. This is based on the fact that Died: Burial:
DOB: December 1736 Draper MSC Series S, v. 31: Notebook H; pp. 321-3 POB: PA Draper MSC Series S, v. 31: Notebook H; pp. 321-323 DOD: January 1816 Draper MSC Series S, v. 31: Notebook H; pp. 321-323 POD: at John Edmonson's, near the Hermitage (Davidson Co, TN?) Draper MSC Series S, v. 31: Notebook H; pp. 321-323 Burial: Spouse 1: Catherine Walker (?-c1772) probably Hetty Walker daughter of John Walker III and Ann Houston DOM: 1764 based on Robert's age of 28 at marriage, per Draper MSC Series S, v. 31: Notebook H; Catherine had 3 sons and 3 daughters by Robert Bell per the Draper MSC interview with Roberts son Rev. Robert Bell. Assuming a birth interval of 2 years, and that Catherine died in 1772, we get an approximate DOM of 1762. Either estimate is consistent with Catherine being Hetty Walker daughter of John III of the Wigton Walker line, per White 1902.pp. 321-323. Overall, the 1764 DOM seems to be the best supported. POM: Caswell Co, NC Then Orange Co., based on assumption that Catherine is "Hetty" per White 1902, and that her parents were on Moon Creek in modern Caswell Co, c1756-c1770). Spouse 2: Mary Boyd Draper MSC Series S, v. 31: Notebook H; pp. 321-323 DOM: December 1774 Draper MSC Series S, v. 31: Notebook H; pp. 321-3 POM: Guilford Co, NC Draper MSC Series S, v. 31: Notebook H; pp. 321-323 Father: Mother:
B-2 Major/Capt. Robert Bell, b 1731/32 Pennsylvania, d Feb 1816 of a cold plague in Davidson Co, TN, m 1st ca 1763 Catherine Walker, who d 1770, he m 2nd 1 Jan 1775 Mary Boyd, b 1754, dau of John & Rebecca Boyd. Rebecca Boyd sold land on Belews Cr. to Robert Bell 22 Feb 1784 in Guilford Co, NC. Ref: book A-1, page 306. This 320 acres had been sold 14 Apr 1767 to Rebecca, widow of John. Land was near Bledsoe's Lick. Robert had a land grant from Earl of Granville for 360 acres on Haw Rv in Guilford Co, NC in 1762.
He sold this to his bro, Samuel, 1770. His father-in-law, John Walker, a wit, also his bro, Francis Bell. Robert was in said Co # 691, with 3 males under 10, he 27-45, 1 female 27-45, another female over 45, 1 slave. Neighbors were Jehu Cox and James Johnson. Robert Bell was Capt/Maj. in the Revolution. He raised nineteen children. Chi 1 thru 5 were from Catherine Walker, who d 1772/3 and was dau of John Walker. They are mentioned in the Buffalo Pres. Church records. Robert received 2,560 acres for his service. Goodspeed's History of TN, pp 1080-81.
He had come to Sumner Co, TN for a short time, before settling in Davidson Co. Robert's estate settlement is recorded in Davidson Co, TN, where he lived on Mill Cr, 9 miles SE of Nashville near Nolensville. His estate settlement is lengthy, showing several relatives buying. His son, Rev Robert Bell, said in an interview with Lyman C Draper that his father was a “professor of religion.” This is probably a fact, as his library was rather large, as evidenced by the listing in his estate sale.
C-1 Mary Bell, (dau of Robert) born 11-4-1763, died 9-23-1827, married 8-5-1788 Sumner Co, TN Thomas Williamson.
C-2 Samuel Bell, (son of Robert) born 2-11-1766, died 1836, married 6-16-1791 Margaret Edmiston, born 1773, died 7-6-1830, daughter of John Edmiston of Lincoln Co, TN.
C-3 Ann Bell, (dau of Robert) born 6-27-1768, died 12-24-1860, married 11-4-1790 William Marshall, born 11-2-1757, died 1-27-1826.
C-4 Robert Bell, Jr (twin) (son of Robert) born 12-16-1770, died 11-9-1853, married ? 8-6-1794 Grizelle McCutcheon, born 2-10-1775, died 4-22-1854, widow of James McCutcheon of Logan Co, KY, who she had married 1790.Early Marriages show marriage date as 4-29-1794. Robert was a missionary to the Indians in Pontotoc Co, MS.
C-5 Catherine Bell, (twin) (dau of Robert) born 12-16-1770, died 3-31-1859, married 8-6-1790 Samuel McCutcheon, born 4-13-1759, died 2-19-1816, of Logan Co, KY. A desc from this line is Hildegarde Smith, who wrote the book "The McCutchen Trace.
C-6 infant, chi of Catherine and Robert
C-7 John Bell, (son of Robert) born 12-9-1776 NC, married 3-8-1810 Sally Bell, born 1775, his cousin, daughter of Samuel Bell, show 1850 Davidson Co, TN.
C-8 James Bell, (son of Robert) born 8-23-1777, died 6-22-1823, married ca 1800 Mary Dean, born 7-12-1777 VA, died 8-8-1829.
C-9 Hugh Bell, (son of Robert) born 5-1-1779 NC, died after 1850, married 11-15-1800 Margaret McKinney Davidson Co, TN, born 8-10-1781, died 10-10-1840 Pontotoc Co, MS, daughter of John and Margaret Fulkerson. More about Hugh and his children shown below.
C-10 Daniel, (son of Robert) died 1814 New Orleans, LA, unmarried.
C-11 Sarah Bell, (dau of Robert) married 6-6-1815 John Allen , moved to IL.
C-12 Rebecca Bell, (dau of Robert) died 1816, unmarried.
C-13 Francis Bell, (son of Robert) born 11-23-1782, died 6-21-1866 Talula, Menard Co, IL, married 1st 7-21-1807 Peggy Bailes, she died 9-15-1807, married 2nd 1809 Elizabeth Allen of White Hall Twp, Greene Co, IL she died 8-15-1835.
C-14 David Bell, (son of Robert) born 7-2-1786, died 8-1-1863, married 4-14-1814 Williamson Co, TN Elizabeth Edmiston. Show there 1850 census. Bond was posted by Robert McCutcheon
C-15 Thomas Bell, (son of Robert) born 9-13-1789, died 1879, married 1st 11-6-1805 (bond) Margaret Dooley, 2nd Catherine Foster, born 2-22-1795, died 9-15-1850, 3rd Catherine Adams, born 3-21-1817, died 6-30-1885 . They show 1850 Davidson Co. The marriage was posted by William Dooley, witness was N. P. Harrison.
C-16 Abraham Bell, (son of Robert) moved to MS, lived to be an old man.
C-17 Nathaniel Bell, (son of Robert) died 1844, married 1-18-1823 Davidson Co, TN Eleanor Johnston. He shows purchasing items at his father's estate sale.
C-18 William Bell, (son of Robert) unmarried. There is a will recorded Williamson Co, TN at Oct session 1816 for a William R. Bell, George Bell was adm. (A William M. Bell shows Book B, p 644 and 667, 1808.)
C-19 Jane Bell, (dau of Robert) born 7-24-1795, died 8-15-1860, married 7-2-1818 Peter Martin, born 11-4-1793, died 7-26-1849, lived Gallatin, TN.