Capt. Robert Armstrong, of Middle River
m. bef. 1703
- Capt. Robert Armstrong, of Middle Riverest 1703 - bef 1753
Facts and Events
Capt. Robert Armstrong was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Advisory on Robert Armstrong
There was another contemporary Robert Armstrong living in the area that does not appear to be related to this Robert Armstrong. The other Robert Armstrong married first, Alice Calhoun and second, Martha Holmes.
Possible Sibling of Robert
Thomas Armstrong lived nearby at Jennning's Branch, Cathey's River and is possibly related to this Robert Armstrong. More research is necessary to prove any relationship.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 472.--22d November, 1753. Captain Robert Armstrong and Lydia to James Armstrong, 1753, 70 acres, part of tract patented to Robert on Middle River where he now lives. Delivered: Sampson Archer, March, 1759.
Will of Robert Armstrong
- Page 262.--27th March, 1753. Robert Armstrong's will, yeoman--Eldest son, James, possessed of 350 acres for which the Government is paid, therefore testator gives him no more; son, Robert, all lands and moveables; executor, wife Lydia. Teste: Jno. Jones, Jhorn (?) Armstrong, Sampson Archer. Proved, 20th April, 1753, by Jones and Armstrong. Executor qualified (with Jho. Armstrong, James Gamwell).
Records of Robert Armstrong in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY 12, 1746. - (45) Robert Armstrong appd. Overseer Road from Jenning's Gap to Daniel McAnaires--thence to John Finla's Cooper--thence to the Court House--all tithables within 4 miles on each side to work the road.
- Vol. 1 - August 20, 1746 - (74) Cap. Daniel McAnaire to be overseer of above road with following tithables: Samuel Wallis, Alexr. Crawford, John Elliott, David Trimble, John Hogshead, Alexr. Gardner, Sampson Archer, Alexr. Gibson, Robt. Davis, Thomas Gardner, Walter Trimble, John Sixby, David Stuart, Ro. Renix, Francis Gardner, John Trimble, Thomas Beard, Ro. Gilkason, John Archer, James Bell, James Mills, James Dyer, Charles Clendening, Wm. Hogshead, Ro. Ralstone, John Moffet, Saml. Lusk, James Phillips, Danl. Brealey, Mathew Edmonston, James Trimble, John Ferguson, Wm. Anderson, John Spears, John McKenney, Wm. Brady, Ro. Armstrong, James Miller.
- Page 196.-- 17th May, 1749. James Bell and Rachel to James Kirk, 400 acres Catheys River; Jennings Branch. Teste: Andrew Boyd, Alexander Crafford. Delivered Ro. Armstrong 5th March, 1753.
- Vol. 2 - FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT - 1750-51; page 114, Robert Armstrong, "Master of the Noble Science of Defence," (May, 1751).
- Page 387.--Patent to James Armstrong, 12th May, 1757. Patented to Robert Armstrong, deceased, and conveyed by him to his son James, 22d November, 1753.
Help fund new features!