Robert Armstrong, of the James River
m. BEF 1700
- Robert Armstrong, of the James River1700 - 1754
Facts and Events
Robert Armstrong was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Advisory on Robert Armstrong
There was another contemporary Robert Armstrong, referred to as "Capt. Robert Armstrong" that was living in the area, and was not apparently related. This other Robert Armstrong married Lydia (surname unknown) and died in Augusta County in 1753.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 576.--10th May, 1764. Hannah ( ) Kirkum to John McClure, £35, 100 acres in Forks of James River, part of 200 acres formerly belonging to Robert Armstring, deceased. Delivered: John McClure, June, 1766. (Note: Hannah Kirkham was the daughter of Robert Armstong, who was named in Robert's will, listed below).
- Page 371.--15th August, 1767. John and Robert Armstrong, of Granville County, South Carolina, to John Moore, £77, two tracts containing together 180 acres, on Broad Creek in Fork of James, A containing 100 acres; B containg 80 acres; crossing Lick Run. Delivered: John Moore. May Court, 1774. (Note: this appears to be the sons of this Robert Armstrong, who had apparently migrated to Granville County, South Carolina. More research may be necessary to conclusively prove that this is the same land that was acquired by Robert Armstrong, Sr.).
Will of Robert Armstrong
- Page 75.--10th November, 1754. Robert Armstrong's will--Daughter, Hannah Kircum. 1/3 of tract he now lives on bought of Col. Patton; daughter, Catherine Finney, 1 English shilling; sons, John and Robt., tract on Mill Creek bought of John Allison; sons (and daughters), infants, viz: James and Benjamin; daughters (under 18); to son, James, entry on head of McClure's Run; wife, Martha, executrix; daughters, Martha, Alice and Agnes, infants. Teste: John Mathews, Sr., William Woods, John Mitchell. Proved, 21st November, 1754, by Mathews and Mitchell, and Martha qualifies executrix, with sureties John and Joshua Mathews.
- Page 94.--19th March, 1753 (prob. s/b 1755). Robert Armstrongs' appraisement, by same as above (by Joseph Lapsley, James Simpson, John Paxton). (Note: this record is probably in 1755, not 1753 as listed. Since Robert Armstrong did not write his will until November of 1754, and was proven in the same month, his appraisement would have to have been after his will was proven on 21 November 1754).
Records of Robert Armstrong in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY AND NOVEMBER, 1759 (A). - Armstrong vs. Galbraith.--Robert Armstrong died 12th November 1754. (Note: establishes Robert Armstrong's date of death).
- Page 281.--No date. New Kent--Thos. Wadle, Dr., to James Renalds; Mathew Young, Dr., to James Renalds; Charles Hays, Dr., to James Renalds, 1 doubloon, 2 maydores, 1 pistole, 2 pieces of silver; Robert Armstrong, Dr.,(??) one bufelow, £3, £12. James Rannald's will (Renalds)-- Wife and children; two eldest sons. Teste: Charles McAnally, Rebeckah Buchanan. Executors, John Hays and James Thompson. Proved, 30th November, 1750, by Rebeckah Buchanan, and Charles to be summoned.
- Page 96.--8th November, 1766. John ( ) McClure and Mary ( ) to John Davis, £43, 100 acres in Forks of James and his part of a tract of 200 acres formerly belonging to Robert Armstrong, deceased. Teste: James Crow, John and James Berry. Delivered: Jno. Davis, November, 1776.
- Vol. 2 - FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT - 1769; page 67, Robert Armstrong, James River.
Information on Robert Armstrong
(NOTE: date of Robert Armstron's death is incorrect, based upon his will, listed above).
- 128. Robert Armstrong, born 1700 in Ulster, Antrim, Ireland; died 1775 (incorrect, see note above) in Beverly Manor, Augusta Co., VA. He was the son of 256. John Armstrong and 257. Mrs. John. He married 129. Alice Calhoun 1728 in Ulster, Antrim, Ireland.
- 129. Alice Calhoun, born 1705 in Strabane, Ireland; died November 12, 1753 in Augusta Co., VA. She was the daughter of 258. William Colhoun and 259. Alice Cunningham.
Children of Robert Armstrong and Alice Calhoun are:
- i. John Armstrong, born 1729 in Ulster, Antrim, Ireland; died WFT Est. 1730-1819.
- 64 ii. Robert Armstrong II, born 1731 in Ulster, Antrim, Ireland; died February 28, 1796 in Knoxville, Knox Co., TN; married (1) Jane Van Ardsale 1746 in Loudon Co., VA; married (2) Margaret Cunningham August 10, 1767 in Abbeyville District, South Carolina.
- iii. James Armstrong, born 1732 in Ulster, Antrim, Ireland; died WFT Est. 1734-1823.
- iv. Benjamin Armstrong, born 1733 in Ulster, Antrim, Ireland; died WFT Est. 1736-1825 in Tennessee.
- v. Kate Armstrong, born 1735 in Ulster, Antrm, Ireland; died WFT Est. 1755-1831.
- vi. Hannah Armstrong, born 1736 in Ulster, Antrim, Ireland; died WFT Est. 1753-1833.
- vii. Alice Armstrong, born 1737 in Ulster, Antrim, Ireland; died WFT Est. 1738-1831.