Facts and Events
Richard Payne was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 10.--9th August, 1777. Joseph Love and Mary, of Montgomery County, to Richard Payne, conveyed to Joseph by John Clide. Teste: Walter Davis, John Hunton, Chas. Hunt, Martin Shearman.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 387.--15th September, 1778. Richard Payne and Ailer (Ailie) to Cornelius Riddle (Ruddle), of Albemarle County, on Black Run, a branch of Christian's Creek.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 19, 1778. - (294) David Henderson, vice Samuel Love, appointed road surveyor from Richard Payne's to the Tinkling Spring.
- Page 384.--16th June, 1778. Privy examination of Mary, wife of Joseph Love, of Montgomery County (deed, 9th August, 1777, to Richard Payne), before Wm. Davis and Wm. Doack.
- From Rootsweb Message Board:
- This is what I have so far on Richard and Alice Shearman Payne. They are buried in Pendleton County, Kentucky. Some idiot farmer plowed up the graveyard and scattered the broken stones around a tree. I hired a person to get me the wills of Richard and Alice but they were "missing" from the court house.
- Concerning the birth and death dates of Richard and Alice Payne. "The stone is hard to read. Cemetery located near the junction of Highways 177 and 159, in Pendelton County. Destroyed by property owner. The stones left piled around a tree in the farm field near the corner. Only these two stones readable; Richard Payne. age 64, d. Dec. 1814 and Alicy, age 64, d. May 27, 1819."
- (Source): Pendleton County, Kentucky Cemetery Book
- Richard Payne sold property to Cornelius Riddle on September 15, 1778. The property was located on Black Run, a branch of Christians Creek in Augusta County, Virginia. Richard Payne's wife is noted as Ailie Payne. Source: Augusta County Deed Book 22, Page 387.
- [Source: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/VA-NORTHERN-NECK/2010-09/1283457003].