Facts and Events
Richard Burton was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 461.--19th November, 1747. £41. John Doage (s/b Poage), farmer, to Richard Burton, farmer, 400 acres on James River on west side Blue Ridge patented to John, 12th January, 1746. Teste: James Porteus, Benj. Johnston. Acknowledged, 19th November, 1747.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 7.-(undated, adjoining records are dated Oct./Nov. 1751) -Richard Burton (Bortoo), Gent., and Ann, to James Davis, 400 acres on Buffalo Creek, joining Borden; corner Richard Wood. Teste: James McAfee, James Neelly.
- Page 201.--17th April, 1762. Richard Borton. of Cumberland County, North Carolina, and Ann ( ) to Samson Mathews, £47, 400 acres on James River. Teste: Joh. Bower, Arter ( ) Bowen.
Estate Records of Richard Burton
- 8 June 1779 - Administration Bond--John Burton, admr Richard Burton, dec'd 10,000 pounds; Andrew Baker & John Baker, bondsmen. [Richard Burton dyed without making a Will...John Burton, oldest son of Richard Burton...admr.] [Source: Wilkes County, North Carolina, Will Book 1, pg. 26]
- March Term 1780
- Inventory of Richard Burton
- 4 Negroes
- 1 horse
- 4 hed of cattle
- 2 Beds
- 2 Pots, Some pewter
- 1 Plow, 2 axes & 3 hoes
- By me, John Burton Administrator
- Returned to Wilkes Court
- March Session 1780
- [Source: Wilkes County, North Carolina Will Book 1, pg. 39]
Records of Richard Burton in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - JULY 16, 1746. - (68) New Court--Commission dated 13 June, 1746: James Patton, George Robinson, Robert Cunningham, James Montgomery, Wm. Jameson, Saml. Gay, John Lewis, Peter Scholl, John Wilson, Silas Hart, Richard Burton, Wm. Thompson, John Buchanan, James Bell, Thomas Lewis, Henry Downs, John Christian.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 18, 1746/7. - (152) John McCown, Michael Finney, Thos. Williams, appointed Constables in Forks of James--precincts to be laid off by Richard Burton.
- Page 246.--21st April, 1749. William Beverley to James Patton and other justices, John Lewis, John Buchanan, George Robinson, Peter Scholl, James Bell, Robert Campbell, Robert Cunningham, John Wilson, Thomas Lewis, James Mountgomerv, Silas Hart. Henry Downs, William Jameson, Rich. Burton, John Christian, Samuel Gay, William Thompson. Courthouse. 25 acres.
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 11, 1751--AUGUST 27, 1751. - (176) This book begins August 1749, but there are no orders but those of suits and actions until August 27, 1751, when a new Court was organized under a commission from the Hon. Lewis Burwell, President of Virginia, dated 11th June, 1751, directed to James Patton, Peter Scholl,* Robert Cunningham, Wm. Jameson, David Stuart,* John Lynn,* Erwin Patterson,* Thos. English, Benj. Borden,* Joseph Kenady, John Denton, Wm. Christian, Robert reckinridge, John Lewis,* Silas Hart, Andw. Lewis,* James Rutledge, Alexr. Wright, Ro. McClenahan,* Robert Campbell, John Wilson, Richd. Burton, Patr. Martin, James Lockhart, John Mills, Ro. Ramsey, Richd. Woods, John Anderson, John Ruddle, Thos. Stuart, John Lyle, John Buchanan, Thomas Lewis, Archd. Alexander, John Mathews, Adam Dickenson, Mathias Seltzer, Wm. Harbeson. (Those marked (*) qualified.)
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 19, 1756. - Page (189) John Hegg, servant of Saml. Huston. has served his time by indenture faithfully and honestly and is released. James Bringenham, servant of Josiah Wilson, petitions for freedom dues. Mary Whiteside's complaint for separate maintenance vs. her husband. William, is groundless and dismissed; but it appearing that John Underwood and Mary, his wife, Richard Burton, Joseph Underwood and Elizabeth Underwood, relations of Mary, have stirred up differences between William and Mary and threatened the life of William--bound over.
- Page 266.--22d June, 1763. William Buchanan's appraisement (by Jas. McCampbell, Isaac and Jacob Anderson) approved and recorded--One mill, £28; sundry books; Robt. Allison's bond; judgment vs. Wm. Burk and Richd. Burtain. (Record of this Richard?)
Other Records of Richard Burton
- pg. 260 - Deed 26 Nov 1739 Nowel Burton and Judith his wife of St. James Parish, Goochland Co., planter, to Robert Bernard of Kingston Parish, Gloucester Co., Gent., for 80 lbs, 265 acres on south side of Willis River, bounded by the river, Reedy Branch, Soakarse Run; being part of a grant of 400 acres to said Burton 28 January 1733; with all houses, etc. Wit: Step'n Bedford, James Daniel, Rich'd Burton, Robert Burton. Signed: Nowel Burton, Judith (JB.) Burton. Recorded 19 Feb 1739. [Source: Goochland Co., Deed Bk 3].
- pg. 542 - Deed 16 March 1741, John Scruggs of Goochland Co., son of Richard Scruggs of New Kent Co., to Robert Burton, the younger, son of Nowel Burton of Goochland Co., for 20 lbs, 200 acres on west side of Willis River, bounded by Robert Bernard, William Mayo, William Meginnis, Joseph Dabbs. Said land is upper 200 acres of 400 acres conveyed to Scruggs by Wm Mayo by deed 12 January last past; with all houses, etc. Wit: Rich'd Burton, William Hunt Allen, Fra. (X) Hill, Jos. Dabbs. Signed: John (X) Scruggs. Recorded 18 May 1742. [Source: Goochland Co., Deed Bk 3].
- pg. 86 - At a Court held for Goochland County the Third Tuesday in July being the Sixteenth day of the month Anno domini 1745. Present. George Carrington, Thomas Turpin, Arthur Hopkins, John Smith, John Harris Gent. Justices. [Source: Goochland Order Book 6].
- pg. 11 - June 26, 1749 from Nowel Burton and Richard Burton of C, to William Bernard of C, for 110 lbs, a certain tract of land about 140 acres, being part of a tract of land patented to said Nowel Burton on Jan. 13, 1733, and conveyed to Richard Burton by the said Nowel. Signed-Nowel Burton, Richard Burton. Wit: John Flemming Jr., John Bowden, Francis (his X mark) Meguier. Recorded June 26, 1749. [Source: Cumberland County, Virginia, Deed Bk I].
- p. 76, Gideon Marr vs Richard Burton, 25 June 1750, trespass, assault and Battery, William Johnson bail. [Source: Cumberland County, Virginia Order Book, 1749-52].
Help fund new features!