b.9 FEB 1688/89
Facts and Events
Will of Rebeckah (Royston) Robertson
- Will of Rebeckah Royston, dated 14 August 1784, Amherst County, Virginia:
- In The Name of God Amen I Rebekah Robertson Being Verry sick & Weak But of a sound & perfect Understanding & Memory do Constitute this my last will & Testament & desire that it may be Received by all such Imprimis I Bequeath my soul to God Nothing Douting but I shall Receive it again at the Resurrection of the Just throw the Merits of Christ who gave himself for me
- Imprimis I give my Body to the Earth from Whence it was Taken to be Duilly Entered at the Discression of my Executors.
- Imprimis I give & Bequeath unto my son Thomas Robertson the Plantation Whereon I now live on Containing two hundred & forty Acres him & his heirs forever & ever & all the Moveable Estate excepting my Bed & firneture & Cloase & two Cows which I give & Bequeath unto my Daughters Including gifts Mary Robertson to be Sold & the Money Equally Divided Among them and Do Constitute my son Thomas Robertson Executor of this my Last Will & Testament & Do Disanul all other Wills & Testaments Whatsoever.
- In Witness Where unto I have set my hand seal this fourteen Day of August the year of our Lord one Thousand Seven hundred & Eighty four.
- Now I take of my Seal & do Declare this my Last will & Testament.
- Rebeckey X Robertson, L S, [her mark]
- Thos Bell
- Alexr Reed
- Alexander Henderson Jun
- At a Court held for Amherst County the first Day of Novemenr 1784 This Last Will and Testament of Rebeckah Robertson deceased was presented in Court By Thomas Robertson the Executor therein Named & proved by the Oath of Alexander Reed & Alexander Henderson Jun Witnesses thereto & the said Executor with Alexander Reed his Security Entered into & Acknowledged their Bond in the penalty of Two hundred pounds & took the Oath Required by Law and the said Will as Ordered to be Recorded.
- Edmd Wilcox, Clk
- Know all men by these presents that we Thomas Robertson and Alexander Reed Senr are held & firmly bound to William Cabell Ambrous Rucker Benjamin Rucker William Horsley & John Diggs Gent, Justices of the Court of Amherst County Now Setting in the sum of Two hundred pound Cujrrent money of Virginia to the payment Whereof will and Truly to be made to the said Justices of their Successors we Bind ourselves and each of us our & each of our heirs Executors and administrators Jointly & Severally firmly by these presents Sealed with our seals this first Day of November in the year of our Lord one Thousand Seven hundred and Eighty four & in the Ninth year of the Commonwealth
- The Condition of the above obligation is such that if the Above Bound Thomas Robertson Executor of the Last Will and Testament of Rebeckah Robertson deceased do make or Cause To be made a True and perfect Inventory of all & Singular the goods Chattles & Credits of the said deceased Which have or shall Come to the hands possession or knowledge of the said Executor or Into the hands & possession of any other person or persons for him and the same so made do Exhibit into the County Court of Amherst at such Time as he shall be thereto Required by the said Court and the same Goods Chattles & Credits and all other the goods Chattles & Credits of the said deceased Which at any Time after shall come to the hands possession or knowledge of the said Executor or Into the hands and possession of any other person or persons for him do Will and Truly administor according to Law and further do make a Just & True account of all his actings & doings therein When thereto Required by the said Court and also shall Will and Truly pay & deliver all the Legacees Contained & Specified in the Said Testament as far as the said Goods Chattles & Credits Will thereto Extend and the Law shall charge then this obligation to be Void & of none Effect or else to Remain in full force & Virture.
- Thomas Robertson LS,
- Alex Reed, (L S)
- At a Court held for Amherst County the first Day of November 1784 This Bond Was Acknowledged & ordered to be Recorded
- Edmd. Wilcox Clk
- Know all men by these presents that we John Bechly and David Crawford are held and firmly Bound to William Cabell James Dillard Ambrous Ruckor William Horsley John Diggs Gabriel Penn & Benjamin Rucker Gent. Justices of the Court of Amherst County Now Setting in the Sum of Two Thousand pounds to the payment Whereof Will & Truly to be made to the said Justices and their Successors we Bind ourselves & each of us our & each of our heirs Executors and administrators Jointly & Severally firmly by these presents sealed with our seals this first Day of November in the Year of our Lord one Thousand seven hundred & Eighty four and in the Ninth Year of the Commonwealth.