Facts and Events
Philip Woolwine, Jr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Record - 1797--April 27, Philip Wolwine and Jacob Wolwine, surety. Philip Wolwine and Elizabeth Harris, of age. Philip is son of Elizabeth Wollwine (consent). Teste: Jacob Woolwin, Thomas Stevens.
Revolutionary War Pension Information
Information from “Virginia/West Virginia Genealogical Data from Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Records”, Vol. 6, compiled by Patrick G. Wardell, Lt. Col. U.S. Army Ret. :
- Woolwine, Philip S. - born 6/31/1766; entered service Augusta County, Virginia in Virginia company; entered service 1790 there in Indian Wars of 1790-96 as sergeant & acted as butcher for his compeny; died 6/26/1830 in Monroe County, Virginia; married 1787-88 Elizabeth Harris, Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia; County Deputy Court Clerk William A. Burnett unable to find record of marriage in 1856; widow applied for pension age 88 in Monroe County, Virginia, 1856, per County Justice of the Peace Isaac CAmpbell & County Clerk of Court George W. Hutchinson; James A. Shanklin & William Connel age 65 made affidavit there then they had known soldier & wife for nearly 40 years; Francis H. Reynolds & Jacob Woolwine (no kinship given) made affidavit there then soldier & wife had daughter Polly who died soon after soldier & wife moved to Monroe County, Virginia; soldier's widow's Pension Application rejected, insufficient proof of service & marriage; none of their other children mentioned. F-R11858, R2643.
1850 Federal Census
- 1850 United States Federal Census
- Name: Philip G Woolwine
- Age: 86
- Estimated Birth Year: abt 1764
- Birth Place: Virginia
- Gender: Male
- Home in 1850(City,County,State): District 39, Monroe, Virginia
- Household Members: Name Age
- Evaline Woolwine 42
- Philip G Woolwine 86
- Elizabeth Woolwine 85
- Ann Woolwine 22
- William Woolwine 20
- Philip Woolwine 18
Help fund new features!