Facts and Events
Philip Long was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Frederick/Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Vol. 2:
- O-124: Philip Long of Frederick County. Heir at Law of Paul Long dec'd, 190 acres on South Fork of Shannondoah River in said County reserving unto Barbara Long widow of said Paul Long, 173 acres of land for and during her life and after her death whole to Philip Long. Surv. Georg Hume. Adj. Philip Long, Nicholas Long. 4 Feb. 1768. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gray, pg. 195].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 494.--20th March, 1764. Philip Long, eldest son and heir-at-law of Paul Long, deceased, who was eldest son and heir-at-law of Philip Long, deceased, of Frederick County, Virginia, to Jacob Campbell, £30, 150 acres purchased by Philip, the elder, of Richard Mauldin, and deed recorded in Orange; corner Jacob Coger. Delivered: Jacob Campbell, February, 1768.
- Page 665.--19th June, 1764. Phillip Long, eldest son and heir-at-law of Paul Long, who was eldest son and heir-at-law of Phillip Long, of Frederick County, to Stephen Hemsburger, £40, 176 acres purchased by Phillip, Sr., of Joseph Phillips (deed recorded in Orange) on Shannando River. Teste: George Carpenter. Delivered: Stephen Hansberger, November, 1766.
- Page 143.--20th August, 1765. Philip Lung, eldest son and heir of Paul Long, deceased, who was eldest son and heir of Philip Lung, deceased, of Frederick County, to Henry Lung, of Augusta, £200, 350 acres on Shanandore River, at the upper end of Richard Mauding's 2,000-acre tract, purchased by Philip, Sr.. from Henry Downs, pine near Peaked Mountain, Paul Lung's line. Sealer's line. Delivered: Henry Lung, October, 1766.
- Page 146.--15th May, 1765. Same ((Philip) Long) and Kathrine ( ) to Henry Long, brother of said Paul, and uncle to said Philip, Jr., £100, 240 acres sold by Richard Mauldin to Philip, Sr., 22d September, 1743, descended to Paul and from Paul to Philip Jr., on Shanandore River, Henry Long's other land.
Records of Philip Long in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 201.--17th March, 1767. Stephen ( ) Hernsberger and Arsley ( ) to John Miller, £53, 200 acres on Shanand River, part thereof being a tract of 176 acres sold to Stephen by Phillip Long, 19th June, 1764, the other part being part of 304 acres patented to Stephen, 31st October, 1765, line of Henry Sellers. Teste: Jacob Pirkey.
- Page 280.--11th September, 1768. Henry Seller to Adam Seller, £60, 168 acres patented to Henry, 1st June, 1750. on Shanando, Philip Long's land; corner Peter Sellers'; also 205 acres patented to Henry, 30th August, 1763, between Peaked Mountain and Shanando River; corner Stephen Hemsberger. Teste: John Seller, Daniel ( ) Price, Jacob Hammer.