Facts and Events
Philip Long was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Orange County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 260-64. 22-23 March 1737/8. Ludwick Stone of St. Mark's Parish, Orange County, to Phillip Long of same. Lease and release; for £100 current money. Two tracts on Sharrendo River containing 1,005 acres, one 800 acres, and the other 205 acres which is bounded ... at the river... the other bounded.. at the river... (signed) Ludwig Stone. Wit: John Newport, Christian Kleman. 23 March 1737 . Acknowledged by Ludwick Stone. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 2, Dorman, pg. 48]. (Note: the next two deeds listed are from Richard Mauldin of Caroline County to 1) Richard Yarbrough of Orange County and 2) to Thomas Garrott of Spotsylvania County, surely the father of the Richard Mauldin referenced in the Augusta County record below).
- Pages 420-23. 21-22 Sept. 1743. Richd. Mauldin of Orange County to Philip Long of same. Lease and release; for £50 current money. 520 acres upon Sherrando River on the east side... head of a small branch... up the river... (signed) Richd. Mauldin. 22 Sept. 1743. Acknowledged by Richard Mauldin. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 7, Dorman, pg. 64].
- Pages 278-280. Indenture 28 Feb. 1744/5 between Richard Mauldin and Phlllip Long.. deeds of lease and release.. for £8.. grants 150 acres on south side of Shannando River on the inner side of the Mauldin Tract of 2,000 acres of land.. joyning to Jacob Coger.. (signed) Richard Mauldin (Seal). Recorded Orange County 5 March 1744/5. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 9, Dorman, pg. 29].
Disposition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 417-420. 21-22 Sept. 1743. Phillip Long of Orange County to Henry Heastand of same. Lease and release; for £54.16.6. 205 acres... Sharendo River side... (signed) Philip Long. Wit: John Newport, Christopher Zimmerman, Abraham Strigler, Joseph Bloodworth. 22 Sept. 1743. Acknowledged by Phillip Long. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 7, Dorman, pg. 64].
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 209.--20th May, 1751. Henry Downes, Sr., of Orange Co., Gent., to Philip Lung, 350 acres on Shanadore adjoining Richard Mouldin's 2000 acre tract, near Peaked Mountain. Cor. Paul Lung, Sealer (Scaler) Hill.
Records of Phillip Long in Orange County, VA
- Phillip Lung listed in Jacob Stover's Inventory and sale on 26 Feb. 1741/2:
- Phillip Lung, two heifers - £3.-.6 [Orange County Virginia Will Book 1, Dorman, pg. 39].
- Philip Long listed in Inventory of John Cannaday as receiving payment from his executors on 27 Aug. 1746. [Orange County Virginia Will Book 2, Dorman, pg. 20].
Records of Phillip Long in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 494.--20th March, 1764. Philip Long, eldest son and heir-at-law of Paul Long, deceased, who was eldest son and heir-at-law of Philip Long, deceased, of Frederick County, Virginia, to Jacob Campbell, £30, 150 acres purchased by Philip, the elder, of Richard Mauldin, and deed recorded in Orange; corner Jacob Coger. Delivered: Jacob Campbell, February, 1768.
- Page 665.--19th June, 1764. Phillip Long, eldest son and heir-at-law of Paul Long, who was eldest son and heir-at-law of Phillip Long, of Frederick County, to Stephen Hemsburger, £40, 176 acres purchased by Phillip, Sr., of Joseph Phillips (deed recorded in Orange) on Shannando River. Teste: George Carpenter. Delivered: Stephen Hansberger, November, 1766.
- Page 143.--20th August, 1765. Philip Lung, eldest son and heir of Paul Long, deceased, who was eldest son and heir of Philip Lung, deceased, of Frederick County, to Henry Lung, of Augusta, £200, 350 acres on Shanandore River, at the upper end of Richard Mauding's 2,000-acre tract, purchased by Philip, Sr.. from Henry Downs, pine near Peaked Mountain, Paul Lung's line. Sealer's line. Delivered: Henry Lung, October, 1766.
- Page 146.--15th May, 1765. Same ((Philip) Long) and Kathrine ( ) to Henry Long, brother of said Paul, and uncle to said Philip, Jr., £100, 240 acres sold by Richard Mauldin to Philip, Sr., 22d September, 1743, descended to Paul and from Paul to Philip Jr., on Shanandore River, Henry Long's other land.
- Page 318.--22d March, 1769. Henry Long to Gabriel Jones, £50, 350 acres purchased by Henry from his brother Philip Long, descended to Philip as eldest son of his father Philip Long, on Shanandore River at upper end of Richard Maulding's 2000 acres tract, near Peaked Mountain, Sealer's line. Mortgage. (Note: this record is in error, either a transcribing error, or written incorrectly in the deed book. What is should say is: 350 acres purchased by Henry from his brother Paul Long, descended to Paul as eldest son of his father Philip Long. This is confirmed by the acquisition of this same 350 acres, listed above).
- Vol. 2 - APRIL, 1792 (L to Z). - Mathias Long vs. Henry Long--Ejectment, Rockingham County, August 29, 1797. Original patent to Richard Malden, Jr., for 2,000 acres on Peaked Mountain, south River Shenandor, 30th June, 1743; 240 acres sold by Malden to Philip Lung. Survey for Henry Lung, 1753. Copy of will of Henry Lung dated 16th January, 1779; probated 27th April, 1779. Widow was Barbara. Eldest son, Henry, and other minor children. Sons Paul, Mathew, Nicholas. Peter Hog was clerk of Rockingham. Grant to Henry Lung, 100 acres on Shenandoe, 1768.