Facts and Events
Peter Wallace was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 160.--4th January, 1750. Mathew Young and Agness to Peter Wallace, 150-1/2 acres. Bought by James Young from Borden, recorded in Orange and conveyed by James to Mathew. On Whistle Creek of James River; corner to Low Todd. Teste: Joseph Lapsley, Richard Woods.
- Page 165.--25th February, 1750. Samuel Woods and Wm. Woods of Augusta to Peter Wallace, 120 acres in Fork of James, part of Wm. Wood's land, where Peter now liveth; Joseph Lapsley's line; Richard Wood's line. Teste: John Mathews, Jr., Joseph Lapsley. [Note: listed consecutively in Chalkley's transcripts with the record above].
- Page 41.--18th November, 1760. Richard Woods, of Albemarle, merchant, to Peter Wallace, of Augusta, farmer, £60, 195 acres in Forks of James River; cor. in Borden's patent by James Devises Field; cor. Peter Wallace's other land; cor. Richard Woods, gent. Delivered: Cap. Samuel Lapsley, 17th August, 1784.
- Page 111 - Peter Wallace, 60 acres, Fork of the James River. Adjoining Bordens patent. April 11, 1768. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 40].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 453.--10th June, 1757. Peter Wallace and Martha to Francis McCown, yeoman, £56, 150-1/2 acres on Whistle Creek in Forks of James; cor. Low Todd. Teste: Alex. Creaghead, Richard Woods, Ro. McElheney. Delivered: Samuel Wilson, Augusct, 1769. (Note: this is the same tract acquired from Matthew Young in 1750).
- In Peter Wallace's Will [Rockbridge County], he mentions wife Martha, sons John and Samuel; daughters Jean, Susannah and Eliza Gilmore. 
Processioning List of 1760 & 1765
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 279.--1760: Processioned by James Trimble, John Maxwell, viz: For Joseph Lapsley (bad state health), for John Moore, for Robert Alexander, for John Wiley, for James Campbell, for Patt Young, for Robert Moore, for Joseph Walker, for John Smiley, for Abraham Brown, for Peter Wallace, for Francis McCoun, for David Tilford, for Robert McKlehaney, for William Hall, for George Campbell, for John Paxton, for Wm. Paxton, for Alex. McKorkle, for James Campbell.
- Vol. 2 - Page 383.-[Processioners' Returns].-1765: John Paxton and Abraham _____ report as follows, viz: For Joseph Walker, for Jno. Sommers, for Robt. Moore, for Saml. McClure, for Saml. Moore, for Jno. Taylor, for Christian Milliron, for Edmond Crump, for James Welch, for Wm. Paxton, for James Davis, for James Allison, for Richard Woods, for Joseph Lapsley, for James Campbell, for John Paxton, for William Hall, for George Campbell, for James Trimble, for Wm. Foster, for William Holeman, for James Bailey, for Andw. Brown, for James Edmiston, for James McLang, for John McKnight, for John McCallom, for Patrick McCallom, for Peter Wallace, for John Moore, for Abraham Brown.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY 12, 1746. - (46) Richard Woods, Joseph Lapsley, Henry Kerkham and Peter Wallace--appraisers.
- Page 59.--17th September, 1747. Benj. Borden on behalf of his wife, Magdalene, qualifies administrator of John McDowell, with sureties Richard Woods, Peter Wallace. Teste: Benj. Johnston.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1750 (B). - Peter Wallace, now in Virginia, vs. John Kyle.--Petition on account dated 1738. From Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Writ dated 5th September, 1750.
- Page 257.--8th March, 1753. Borden, &c., to Alexander Craighead, late of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 1753. Cor. Richard Woods; cor Peter Wallace, 553 acres of 92100 sold in testator's lifetime. Cap. Lapsley's line. Teste: Roger and John Keyes, Nathaniel Evins
- Page 262.--6th March, 1753. Samuel and William Woods to Benjamin Borden, 263 acres on Woods Creek of James. Cor. Richard Woods; cor. Peter Wallace, Cap. Lapsley's line.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 23, 1753. - (73) John Paxton to be overseer of road from Edmonston's Mill to Fork Meeting House, with these: James Trimble, Michael Finney, John Berrisford, Wm. Holdman, John Hardin, Hugh Means, Joseph Lapsley, Peter Wallace, Saml. McClure, Abram Brown, John Moore, Robert Moore, Stephen Arnold, Saml. Paxton, Jas. Edmondson.
- Page 413.--15th March, 1757. Richard Woods, gent., and Elizabeth, of Augusta, to Richard Wood. son-in-law of Richard, £25, 195 acres in Fork of James River and part of tract where Richard, grantor, now liveth; cor. in Borden's patent line by James Davis's field; cor. Peter Wallace; cor. Richard Wood.
- Page 484.--16th November, 1757. Francis ( ) McCown and Margaret to Andrew Duncan, £140, 317 acres conveyed to Francis by Benj. Jr., south side Moffett's Creek, cor. Joseph Kennedy's land; cor. Samuel Steel's land, Wilson's corner. Teste: Robert Brown, Petter Wallace. Delivered: Wm Edmondson, June, 1758.
- Page 288.--6th March, 1758. Joseph Long's appraisement, by Peter Wallace, James Beats, Henry Kirkcum, Joseph Lapsely.
- Page 274.--21st April, 1761. Alexander Craighead, of North Carolina, to John Bowyer, £300, 533 acres of Borden's 92100; cor. Richard Woods; cor. Peter Wallace, Cap. Lapsley's line. Teste: John Dickenson.
- Page 373.--17th May, 1762. Borden's executors to James Davis, husbandman, £165, 436 acres, part of 92100; cor. to patent line and William Todd; Todd's, Robert Young's and the patent line, Buffalow Creek, Low Todd's line; cor. Peter Wallace. Teste: George Pearis, John Neily, Joseph Gray.
- Page 376.--8th January, 1765. Samuel Hunter's estate appraised, by James Davis, Peter Wallace, Pat. McCollomDebts due to estate, viz: Paul Whitey, Joseph Robinson, Margaret Clark, Geo. Clark, Thomas Foster, Jno. Smiley, Jno. McCollom, Andrew Smithers, Mathew Galbreath. Debts due by estate--To Mary Clark, Saml. Newberry, Richd. Woods.
- Page 405.--6th March, 1765. Henry Kirkham's will--Wife, Mary; son. Robert, the land at the Great Spring; son, Samuel, a mare bought from Edward Gill; son, Michael, 50 acres between John Collier (Colyer) and John Wiley; son, John, 100 acres near John Collier's (Colyer) on the Dry Creek side; sons, Henry and Joseph, infants, land testator lives on to be divided by Richard Woods and Jno. Summers; to daughter Jane; to infant in wife's womb; daughters, Margaret and Elizabeth. If any of the heirs by former wife die infants. Executors, wife, Peter Wallace and Jno. Summers. Peter Wallace has authority to bind son John to his brother Samuel. Teste: Robt. Kirknam, Alex. Collier, Michl. Kirkham. Proved, 30th August, 1765, by Robert and Michael Kirkham. Peter Wallace refuses to execute. Others qualify, with Alex. Dale, Wm. Scott, Robt. Young.
- Page 423.--19th September, 1765. Henry Kirkham's estate appraised, by Jno. Wiley, Peter Wallace, Wm. McKee.
- Page 423.--34th September, 1765. Appraisement (by Peter Wallace, Jas. Bets, Wm. McKee) of John Collier's estate, recorded.
- Page 445.--30th October, 1765. Moses McCown's estate appraised, by Richd. Woods, Peter Wallace. Wm. Davis--A certificate for 161 days patrolling at 1/10 per day. 4th March, 1766. 2d appraisement by same-- Wm. Bunting owes. Thos. Bates owes. Charles Lockhart owes, Mathew Arbuckle owes. Walter Cowdon (supposed insolvent).
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 15, 1768. - (493) Hemp certificates: John Gilmer, John Walker, Peter Wallace, David McGee, John McClung, Andrew Larney.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 16, 1768. - (504) Road to be viewed by Peter Wallace, Saml. Wallace, James McNabb and Halbert McClure, from William Hall's Mill to Wm. McKee's.
- Page 374.--30th May, 1769. John Davis, of Roan County, North Carolina, to James Davis, of Forks of James, £62, 436 acres in Forks of James; corner William McKee's, formerly William Todd's land; corner Borden's tract, Robert Young's line, branch of Buffalo Creek; Hugh Cunningham's line. formerly Low Todd's; corner Peter Wallace. Teste: Samuel Wilson, James McMath, Archebeld McCurey, Samuel Davis.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 23, 1786. - (306) Peter Wallace's death abates suit.
Family Group Record FamilySearch® Ancestral File™ v4.19
- Husband's Name
- Peter WALLACE (AFN:1VJW-67)
- Born: 1719 Place: , Rock Bridge, Virginia
- Christened: Place: , Of Rockbridge Co
- Died: Sep 1784 Place: Thornhill, Rockbridge, VA
- Buried: Place: Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia
- Married: 1739 Place: , Cecil, Maryland
- Father: Peter Sr. WALLACE (AFN:1VJW-8K)
- Mother: Elizabeth WOODS (AFN:1VJW-9Q)
- Wife's Name
- Margaret WOODS (AFN:1VJW-7D)
- Born: 1720 Place: Dunshanglin Castle, Meath, Ireland
- Died: 1790 Place: Thornhill, Rockbridge, Virginia
- Married: 1739 Place: , Cecil, Maryland
- Father: Michael WOOD (AFN:1VJW-BW)
- Mother: Margaret CAMPBELL (AFN:1VJW-C3)
- 1. Sex Name
- M John WALLACE (AFN:1VJW-4V)
- Born: CA. 1748 Place: Rockbridge, Augusta, VA
- Died: 3 Apr 1832 Place: Walnut Grove Cem, Hendrick Co, IN
- Buried: Apr 1832 Place: Stilesville, Hendricks, Indiana
- 2. Sex Name
- M Malcolm WALLACE (AFN:1VJX-2N)
- Born: 1743 Place: Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia
- Died: 1775 Place: Boston, Suffolk, MA
- Buried: 1785 Place: Boston, Suffolk, MA
- 3. Sex Name
- M Samuel WALLACE (AFN:1VJX-3T)
- Born: 1762 Place: Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia
- Died: 7 Mar 1786 Place: Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia
- 4. Sex Name
- M James Hugh WALLACE (AFN:1VJX-41)
- Born: 1747 Place: Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia
- Died: May 1777 Place: Philadelphia, Montgomery, Pennsylvania, Smallpox
- Buried: May 1777 Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
- 5. Sex Name
- M Adam WALLACE (AFN:1VJX-56)
- Born: 1755 Place: Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia
- Died: 29 May 1780 Place: Waxaw, Union, North Carolina, IN Batt
- Buried: May 1780 Place: Waxhaw, , SC
- 6. Sex Name
- M Andrew WALLACE (AFN:1VJX-6C)
- Born: 1757 Place: Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia
- Died: 15 Mar 1781 Place: Guilford, Guilford, North Carolina, IN Battle
- Buried: Mar 1781 Place: Guilford Crthous, Guilford, New Haven, CT
- 7. Sex Name
- F Elizabeth WALLACE (AFN:1VJX-7J)
- Born: 1750 Place: Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia
- Died: 1804 Place:
- Buried: Place: Gilmore Cem., Edward West Farm, Jessamine Co., Kentucky
- 8. Sex Name
- F Susannah Hannah WALLACE (AFN:1VJX-8P)
- Born: 1752 Place: Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia
- Died: Place: , , MO
- Buried: Place: , , MO
- 9. Sex Name
- F Janet WALLACE (AFN:1VJX-9V)
- Born: 1746 Place: Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia
- Died: 1819 Place: , Greenbrier, West Virginia
- 10. Sex Name
- F Elizabeth WALLACE (AFN:J9SQ-7V)
- Born: 1759 Place: Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia
- 11. Sex Name
- F Susannah WALLACE (AFN:J9SQ-97)
- Born: 1763 Place: Lexington, Rockbridge, Virginia
- Died: Aft 1818 Place:
- 26. Peter WALLACE was born in 1719 in Ireland. LDS says Peter Wallace, Jr. was born in Rock Bridge, Virginia. He died in Sep 1784 in Thornhill, R., Virginia. He was married to Martha WOODS in 1739 in Cecil County, Md..
- 27. Martha WOODS was born in 1720 in Ireland. She died in 1790 in Thornhill, R., Virginia. Peter WALLACE and Martha WOODS had the following children:
- i.Samuel WALLACE was born in 1745. He died in Mar 1786.
- 13ii.Jennett WALLACE.
- iii.Malcolm WALLACE died in 1775.
- iv.John WALLACE was born in 1748. He died in 1838.
- v.James WALLACE died in 1776 in Philadelphia, Pa..
- vi.Adam WALLACE died on May 29 1780 in Waxhaw, S.C..
- vii.Andrew WALLACE died in 1781 in Guilford Courthouse.
- viii.Elizabeth WALLACE.
- ix.Susannah WALLACE.
- IGI Record.