Peter Hanger, Sr., "Old Rock"
Facts and Events
Peter Hanger was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 412.--20th June, 1769. Andrew Thompson, son and heir of Adam Thompson, deceased, and Annie ( ) Thompson, widow and relict of Adam Thompson, to Peter Hanger, of Frederick County, sadler, £35, 187 acres, remainder of 287 acres conveyed by Beverley to said Adam, 2d March, 1749, the other 100 acres Adam sold to Samuel Kinkead. Delivered: Peter Hanger, 6th January, 1801.
- Page 191.--29th November, 1779. William Preston and Susanna, of Montgomery, to Peter Hanger.
- Rage 92.--30th October, 1784. Hugh Brown and Rebekah and John Brown and Mary to Peter Hanger; corner John Brcckenridge, who was murdered by the Indians.
Will of Peter Hanger, Sr.
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 248.--2d January, 1802. Peter Hanger's will, Sr.--To son, Peter; to Peter Rush, who married daughter Barbara; to son, John; son, George; son, Frederick; to Frederick Fultz, who married daughter Hannah; to daughter, Catharine; son, David (infant); tract whereon King, the Schoolmaster, formerly lived, to be sold. Nine children. Executors, sons Peter and Jacob and Peter Rush. Teste: Jacob Swoope, S. Blackburn. Addendum says: Have sold the King plantation to Peter Rush and he has conveyed to me the plantation on the Winchester Road occupied now by John Fleiger, which is to be sold. To Caty Dillenger, who now lives with testator, under 18. Proved, 27th December, 1802. Peter Rush refuses to execute. Others qualify.
Records of Peter Hanger in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 411.--13th June, 1772. Peter and Jacob Cail, farmers, to Patrick Lockhart, merchant of Botetourt, mortgage. Teste: John Madison, Jr., Richard Madison, Peter Hanger, Sampson Mathews.
- Page 221.--16th September, 1773. Samuel Downey's estate appraised by John Handly, Alex. McPheeters, Peter Hanger, James Callison--James Porterfield's account.
- Page 543.--5th February, 1775. David Bosang's will, of Staunton--To wife, Barbara; to son-in-law, Philip Gruber, Jr.; to my three _____, namely, Margaret Gruber, Henry Lees, John Bosang. Executors, Peter Hanger, Casper Scheyder. Teste: Daniel Kidd, John David Gremer, Valentine Cloninger. Proved, 18th November, 1777, by Kidd and Gremer. Casper Scheyder refuses to execute, and it is proved that Peter Hanger will not serve. Administration granted the widow.
- Page 444.--18th March, 1777. Beverley to Windle Bright. Delivered: Peter Hanger, May Court, 1778.
- Page 253.--16th August, 1782. William Burk's estate appraised by John Abney, Peter Hanger, Thos. Scott.
- Page 412.--18th September, 1783. Valentine Cloninger's will--To Nicholas Spring, tract purchased of Robt. Beverley; to Catherine Spring, daughter of Nicholas, tract adjoining above tract John Fudge's and Samuel Leeven's in Beverley Manor; to wife, Catherine, remainder of estate; to nephew. Philip Cloninger. Executors, wife, Thos. Bell, Peter Hanger. Teste: R. Madison, John Bosang, Jos. Buchanan. Proved, 19th May. 1784, by Madison and Bosang. Bell and Hanger refused to qualify. Catherine qualifies.
- Page 549.--30th October, 1786. William Woolwine's estate appraised by John Bosang, Peter Hanger, Harman Lovingood.
- Page 173.--27th July, 1767 (prob. 1787). John George Weaver's will (signed in German Waber)--To wife, Christina, after her death division among the children; to son, Andrew, 1 shilling in lieu of birthright; to rest of children, viz: Ann Margaret, Peter, John, George, Mary, Elizabeth. Executors, Thomas Mitchel. Teste: Peter Hanger, Samuel Bell (a German). Proved, 15th September, 1789. by Peter Hanger and Harman Lovingood. 19th January, 1790, Mitchell appeared and refused to execute. Administration granted widow Christiana and son John.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 20, 1777. - (224) Following recommended to be added to Commission of Peace, viz: Joshua Humphries, Joseph Bell, William McDowell, Peter Hanger, Anthony Rider, John Fitzwaters, William Westfall, Benj. Wilson, William Lowther, Isaac Hinkle, Jonas Friend.
- Page 222.--25th January, 1788. David Greiner's estate appraised by Robert Doathat, Peter Hanger, Peter Heiskell.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 17, 1778. - (261) Ordered to be certified to the Governor that the following Justices are recommended for appointments as Justices will fall in the new Counties, viz: In Rockingham--Silas Hart, Daniel Smith, Felix Gilbert, Abraham Smith, John Gratton, Josiah Davidson, John Skidmore, George Boswell, Thomas Hewett, John Thomas, William Nall, Robert Davis, James Dyer, Henry Ewing, William McDowell, Anthony Rider, John Fitzwater, and Isaac Hinckle. In Rockbridge--Archibald Alexander, Samuel McDowell, John Hays, Charles Campbell, and Samuel Lyle. In Augusta--John Dickenson, John Christian, John Poage, George Moffet, Sampson Mathews, Alexr. McClenachan, William Bowyer, George Mathews, Michael Bowyer, Alexr. Robertson, Thomas Huggart, Elijah McClenachan, John Lewis, Alexr. St. Clair, John Kinkead, James Tate, William McPheeters, James Steel, John McCreery, Joshua Humphreys, Joseph Bell, Peter Hanger, James Craig--the two last to be left out for refusing to take the oath of allegiance.
- Vol. 1 - APRIL 20, 1778. - (281) New Commission of the Peace, viz: Thomas Adams, John Poage, Sampson Mathews, Wm. Bowyer,* Michael Bowyer, Thos. Huggart, John Lewis, John Kinkead, Wm. McPheeters, John McCreerey, Joseph Bell,* Samuel Vance, John Dickenson, George Moffet,* Alexr. McClenachan,* George Mathews, Alexr. Robertson,* Elijah McClanachan,* Alexr. St. Clair, James Tate,* James Steele, Joshua Humphreys,* Peter Hanger, John Wilson.* (Those checked (*) qualified.)
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 19, 1779. - (174) Thomas Adams, John Dickinson, Michael Bowyer, William McPheeters and Peter Hanger to be summoned to the next March Court to show cause why they will not swear into the Commission of the Peace.
- Vol. 1 - DECEMBER 19, 1781. - (359) John Dickinson, who refuses to act; John Christian, deceased; Michael Bowyer, Attorney at Law; James Tate, deceased; Joshua Humphrey's, removed out of the County; Peter Hanger, who refuses to act; Benj. Wilson, Jonas Friend, Wm. Lowther, John Davidson and Andrew Davidson, out of the County--recommended to be left out of the Commission of the peace.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 21, 1782. - (380) Road ordered from Bethel Meeting House to Peter Hanger's mill.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1785--April 8, Peter Hanger, Jr., and Catherine Link, daughter of Mathias Link; surety, Peter Hanger, Sr.
- Vol. 2 - SEPTEMBER, 1789. - Thomas Brown vs. Brown's executors--receipt, 23d May, 1771, by Thomas to Peter Hanger, for part pay of a certain tract of 210 acres, formerly bought in partnership between Thomas' father and Thomas Garner, now both deceased. Test: John Dickinson. John Handley.
- Page 401.-- January, 1790. Anthony Mustoe, administrator of David Grayner (Griner), deceased, and guardian of his children, with Catherine ( ) Grinor, administratrix and relict of said David. Agreement to use and control of David's lots and houses in Staunton. Teste: Michael Bowyer and Peter Hanger.
- Vol. 1 - DECEMBER, 1790. - A list of the names and order of the Justices of the Peace for the County of Augusta, as they stand in the commisison dated, March 24, 1778, viz: Thomas Adams, John Poage, Alexander McClenachan, Alexander Robertson, John Lewis, William McPheeters, Peter Hanger, John Dickinson, George Moffett, William Bowyer, Thomas Hughart, Alexander St. Clair, James Steel, Samuel Vance, John Christian, Sampson Mathews, Michael Bowyer, Elijah McClenachan, John Kinkade, James Tate, John McCreery, James Bell, John Wilson.
- Vol. 1 - OCTOBER 16, 1793. - (350) Ordered that the fork of the roads leading from Staunton to Miller's Iron Works, and to Peter Hanger's be considered as the place of execution of all condemned persons in future which may by law be executed by the Sheriff of Augusta.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1795--May 9, Frederick Fultz and Peter Hanger, surety. Frederick Fultz (German) and Hannah Hanger, daughter of Peter Hanger.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1800 (H to Z). - Peter Hanger vs. Beverley. Poage vs. Beverley. Hill vs. Beverley.-- Several other suits for lands in Beverley Manor. Catherine, by Augustine Argenbright, her next friend.
- Vol. 2 - George, Frederick, David Hanger, Frederick Fultz and Hanna, his wife (Hanger), Henry Eidson and Catharine, his wife (Hanger), Legatees and Representatives of Peter Hanger and of Jno. Hanger, vs. Hanger--O. S. 217; N. S. 76--Peter Hanger died testate in Augusta, 1802.
- Vol. 2 - Hanger's executors vs. Lovingood's heirs--O. S. 178; N. S. 63--Bill 1814. Orators are Peter and Jacob Hanger, executors and heirs of Peter Hanger, deceased. Peter, deceased, had bought all Harman Lovingood's land lying near Staunton. Lovingood moved away from Virginia, then died, leaving children, viz: Samuel Jacob, John, Ann, Harman, Elizabeth (who married William Williams), Barbary (who married John Beerd), Polly, Catherine and Peggy Lovingood. Amended bill by Peter Rush and Barbara, his wife (late Hanger); George Hanger; Frederic Fultz and Hanna, his wife (late Hanger); Henry Eidson and Catharine, his wife (late Hanger); David Hanger, the children of Frederic Hanger, deceased. Peter and Jacob Hanger who are the only children and heirs of Peter Hanger, deceased Peter Hanger was called the "Old Rock").
Information on Peter Hanger
Family Group Record FamilySearch™ Ancestral File v4.19
Johann Peter HANGER HENGERER (AFN:RZZF-7R)
Born: 15 Feb 1729 Place: Eschelbronn, Kraichgau, , Germany
Died: 1801 Place: Staunton, Augusta, Va
Buried: Dec 1802 Place: Under Episc. Ch., Staunton, Augusta, Va
Married: 1749 Place: , Augusta, Va
Father: Hans Melchior HENGERER (AFN:RZZF-LN) Family
Mother: Maria Elisabetha MAJER (AFN:RZZF-H5)
Hannah GABBERT GEBERT (AFN:RZZB-3N)
Born: Abt. 1733 Place: <, Augusta, Va>
Died: Bef 1802 Place:
Buried: Bef 1802 Place:
Married: 1749 Place: , Augusta, Va
1. Sex Name
M David HANGER (AFN:RZZB-FD)
Born: Bef 1782 Place: , Augusta, Va
Died: Abt 1831 Place: , Augusta, Va
2. Sex Name
M John HANGER (AFN:RZZB-8J)
Born: 1769 Place: , Augusta, Va
3. Sex Name
M Frederick HANGER (AFN:RZZB-51)
Born: 1764 Place: , Augusta, Va
Died: 1812 Place:
4. Sex Name
M Jacob HANGER (AFN:RZZB-BV)
Born: 1773 Place: , Augusta, Va
Died: 1834 Place: , Augusta, Va
5. Sex Name
F Barbara HANGER (AFN:RZZB-7C)
Born: 1767 Place: , Augusta, Va
Died: Abt 1825 Place: , Augusta, Va
6. Sex Name
F Hannah HANGER (AFN:RZZB-9P)
Born: 1771 Place: , Augusta, Va
Died: 1841 Place: , Augusta, Va
7. Sex Name
F Catherine HANGER (AFN:RZZB-D7)
Born: 1777 Place: , Augusta, Va
8. Sex Name
F Elizabeth HANGER (AFN:RZZB-66)
Born: 1767 Place: , Augusta, Va
Died: Abt 1800 Place: , Augusta, Va
9. Sex Name
M Peter HANGER (AFN:RZZD-P2)
Born: 29 Jan 1761 Place: , Augusta, Va
Died: 23 Dec 1828 Place: , Augusta, Va
10. Sex Name
M George HANGER (AFN:RZZB-C2)
Born: 16 Apr 1775 Place: , Augusta, Va
Died: 18 Apr 1844 Place:
Buried: 18 Apr 1881 Place: Franks Mill, Augusta, Va