Facts and Events
Peter Blake was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
- 18 Mar 1782 Hugh Donahe and Elizabeth his wife of Augusta County of the one part and Peter Blake of the Said County and Commonwealth of Virginia for ten shillings, sold a tract of land containing 232 acres being granted to William Thompson by Patent bearing the date the first day of June 1741 being in the County of Augusta on the South Side of the North River of Shannadore, on the west side of a branch of Buffalo run an estate in fee simple. (signed) Hugh Donahe LS
- At a Court held for Augusta Co. 18 Mar 1783 Elizabeth Donahe LS
- This Indenture of Bargain and Sale for Land from Hugh Donahe and Elizabeth his wife to Peter Bleke was acknowledged by the Said Donahe and ordered to be recorded.
- [Augusta County, Virginia Deed Book 24, 1783-1785, p. 6-9].
Note: the only portion of the record above listed in Chalkley's transcriptions is as follows:
- Deed Book 24, Page 7.--232 acres patented to William Thompson, 1st June, 1741. (Note: this record helps to identify the location of this land).
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1786 (B). - Commonwealth vs. Joseph Thompson and Peter Blake.--Defendants, pretending to have power and authority to take up and secure any of the troops or soldiers in the British service, commonly called conventioners, and stationed at the barracks, in the County of Albemarle, did, on 1st September, 1780, take up and seize John Sowers, a yeoman, and one of the said convention troops, and left him in custody until John paid them ransom. Also Henry Vocust, a German.
- Page 73.--3d September, 1790. Hugh Campbell, of Washington County, North Carolina, appoints John Dickey, attorney to obtain grant or deed to 190 acres joining John Tanner and Hugh Brown and convey same to Robert Brown. Teste: John Donaghe, Peter Bleke, John Bernard.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1792--September 3, Peter Blake and Mary McMahon, daughter of Deborah McMahon (consent); witnesses, George Farrel, John Baxter; surety, John Donaghe.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Record - 1792, -By Rev. Wm. Wilson: September 6th, Peter Blake and Polly McMahon.
- Page 452--1st November, 1798, Peter Blake, Jeremiah Smith, Ro. Campbell have moved to Green County, North Carolina, and John and James Donaghe are preparing to move thither.