- Patrick McDavid1752 - Bet 1814 and 1820
Facts and Events
Patrick McDavid (McDavitt) was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 282.--19th May, 1780. Martha ( ) Cowdon, late Martha Wilson, widow and executrix of Samuel Wilson. deceased, of Staunton, to Patrick McDavid, grants a lease of which Samuel was seised by deed, 3d November, 1752, lot No. 4, by the end of the bridge. Teste: Alex. Sinclair, Jacob ( ) Grass, Valentine Cloninger. (Note: Martha Cowden was the mother-in-law of Patrick McDavid).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 231.--18th February, 1780. Patrick McDavid and Martha to John Handley and Gasper Snider, two-thirds of house and half lot in Staunton where Patrick now dwells.
Records of Patrick McDavid in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY 20, 1779. - (623) On petition of Patrick McDavid, Commissioners to lay off dower to Martha Cowden, widow of Samuel Wilson, deceased, in half the lot in Staunton and the outlet belonging.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 16, 1779 - (143) Grand Jury presentments for retailing liquors without license, viz: Col. Sampson Mathews, Daniel Kidd, Wm. Thomas, David Griner, Patrick McDavid, George Smith, Valentine Cloninger, Thomas Colony, Edward Brookbank, Thomas Price, John Alexander, John Anderson, John Blair, William Burk, John Burk, James Hill, Robert Reed, Alex. Kilpatrick, Euphemia Hughes, Anthony Mustae, Jacob Grass, Elizabeth Hartgrove, Arthur Conoly, William Blair, John Hind, William Kyle, Abel Griffith, Enos Jones, Valentine Shirley, Peter Caphart, Andrew Scott, James Langsby, Robert Gregg, Thomas Poage, Jane Wallis, John McClenachan, John Black, Mary Tees, Thomas Smith, David Bell, Henry Swink, John Ramsey and William Foster.
- Vol. 2 - List of Tithables for the Town of Staunton to be collected at $4 each to be applied to the Repair of Streets, 1779-1780. Samuel Armstrong: Thos. Hughes, Wm. Bowyer, Michael Bowyer, John Abney, Jno. Bowers, Dennis Calahan, Jno. McDonagh, Robt. Eastrip, Sam Bell, Val. White, Owen Owens, Geo. Wyford, Val. Clonegar, John Blair, Peter Grass, John Buzange, Jno Price, Archibald McClaughlin, Hu McDowell, Robert Reed, Geo. Potts, Daniel Kidd, Wm. Smith, Doctor Cluny, Robert. Cochran, John Griffin, Henry Anderson, Jacob Peck, Josiah Humphreys, Wm. Gilham, Wm. Fleming, James Bohanon, Anthony Mustoe, David Gryner, Geo. Gray, Henry Hall, Alex. Kilpatrick, Wm. Blair, Jacob Grass, Henry Cearse, Thos. Roads, Pady McDavid, Alexander Sinclair, Doctor Ham, Jos. Perry, Peter Funk, Jno. Collins, Henry Howard, Henry Hughes.
- Page 169.--13th June, 1788. John Handley and Margaret, of Augusta, and Gasper Snider and Margret, of Rockingham, to Anthony Mustoe and William Chambers, conveyed to Samuel Wilson by John Brown. August, 1753, and to grantors here by Patrick McDavid and Martha, his wife, daughter of Samuel Wilson, 18th February, 1780.
- Vol. 2 - APRIL, 1800 (A to C). - Cowdon vs. Gamble--Mrs. Martha Cowdon vs. Robert Gamble. John Griffin and Elizabeth, his wife, late Elizabeth Wilson (daughter of Samuel Wilson and Martha). Involves lot 4, in Staunton. Martha pleads infancy. Martha Wilson, daughter of Samuel, married Patrick McDivit.
Possible Relative in Augusta County, VA Records
There is a William McDavitt that MAY be related to Patrick McDavid that appears in the following Augusta County, VA records:
- Page 79.--27th June, 1782. Robert Armstrong's will, cloathier--To wife, Elizabeth; to son, Samuel; to daughter, Mary; to daughter, Nancy Armstrong, unmarried, to be paid by Samuel Armstrong. Executor, Samuel Armstrong. To daughter, Jane Shields. Teste: Alexander Long, William McDavitt. Proved, 20th September, 1788, by Alex. Long, and at December Court, 1793, commission awarded to take deposition of Wm. McDavitt.
- Vol. 1 - JULY 17, 1792. - (167) William McDavitt, witness to will of Robert Armstrong--residence, South Carolina.
Help fund new features!