Facts and Events
Patrick English was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Estate Records of Patrick English
- Page 103.--30th October, 1761. Patrick Inglish's will--Debts to Major John Brown and Samuel Moore to be paid first for reasons best known to testator; wife, Else, and his poor babes. Executors, John Brown and Saml. Moore. Teste: Geo. Wilson, Henry Maurray. Proved, 20th November, 1761, by Geo. Wilson, and recorded. Saml. Young qualified with Saml. Moore, William Wallace. (Note: listed with record below, indicating Patrick likely married the widow of Patrick English).
- Page 191.--16th November, 1762. Saml. Young presented his accounts as administrator of Pat. Ingles. Recorded. Sale bill, viz: To Jno. Jamison, Saml. Cloyd, Alice English, Geo. Francisco, Ro. Reed, Wm. Earls, Andw. Greer, Saml. Moore. Paid Henry Murray, Edward Thompson, Robt Scott. (Note: Alice, that married Patrick Riley before November 1764 (as listed below), appears to be the widow of Patrick English).
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1764 (B). - McFeeters vs. Patrick Ryley and wife, Alice, late Alice (Else) English.-- Account dated November 10, 1762. (Note: it appears that Patrick English's wife Alice (Else) married Patrick Riley (Ryley) after his death. The "Account" mentioned dated November 10, 1762 in this record is likley the Estate Account of Patrick English).
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - Bohannon vs. Martin.--Copy of Proceedings. Writ, dated 21st December, in 31st year of reign. By John Buchanan, gent., vs. Patrick Martain.-- Account of what militia was under command of Capt. Patrick Martain since the 2d of May:
- When Days When
- Name. Entered. on duty. Discharged. Pay per die
- Capt. Patrick Martain Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 10/
- Adam Thompson Aug. 4th 28 1 Sept. 1/
- Samuel Black Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/
- David Stuart, Serg. Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/4
- John Perrie Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/
- Patrick English Aug. 4th 34 7 Sept. 1/
- John Vance Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/
- William Hodge Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/
- Charles Erwin Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/
- Edward Hinds Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/
- John Trimble Aug. 4th 12 16 Aug. 1/
- John Beard Aug. 16th 24 9 Sept. 1/
- Gabriel Guile Aug. 23rd 15 7 Sept. 1/
- Archibald Gilkeson Aug. 16th 24 9 Sept. 1/
- Jacob Guile Aug. 23rd 15 7 Sept. 1/
- George Guile Aug. 23rd 15 7 Sept. 1/
- John Jameson Aug. 26th 8 3 Sept. 1/
- William Martain Aug. 26th 8 3 Sept. 1/
- Sworn to 16th December, 1756, by Capt. Pat. Martin. Receipt, 16th December, 1756, by Capt. Pat. Martin for above.