- H. Olie Olson Tarrant1893 - 1972
- W. May Schmidt1897 - 1974
Facts and Events
||Olie Olson Tarrant
||Ollie Olson Tarrant
||Olie Olston Detarrant
||21 Feb 1893
||Washington, DC, United States
||Tanners Creek, Norfolk, Virginia, USAhead of house-James W Tarrant
||05 JUN 1917
||District of Columbia, USAWorld War I draft registration
||23 Mar 1920
||Norfolk (independent city), Virginia, United StatesNewspaper announcement
to Miriam Margaret Powell
||District of Columbia, USAhead of house
|Soc Sec No
||13 MAY 1940
||17 Oct 1972
||Creve Coeur, St. Louis, Missouri, United StatesCause: Congestive heart failure
||Arteriosclerosic cardio-vasc disease 10 years; Colon cancer
||79 years, 7 months, 26 days Age at death
Olie's birth certificate shows he was born at 515 K Street, SE; Washington, DC - was this his parents home at the time of his birth? If Olie's parents were born and raised in Norfolk, VA what were they doing in Washington, DC? Olie has 8 brothers and sisters. His oldest sister, Zola, and at least one of his brothers, James, live in Washington, DC. Zola dies in Washington, DC as does her mother, Ruth L Belote. Olie's birth is attended by a midwife, Mary R Clarke of 50 Myrtle Street, Washington, DC. His birth certificate also shows his father is a brick mason.
The 1910 census is at 151 Church Street, Tanner's Creek, Norfolk, VA and shows Olie living with his uncle, James W "Tarrent". Olie is shown as age 18, single, born in DC, parents born in VA, he is a house plasterer.
Though I have this picture of Olie in Navy uniform, I have not been able to find any service record for him. But there is a World War I draft registration.
1917-World War I draft registration-Olie Olston Detarrant; resides 717 10th St NW, Washington, DC; born Feb 20 1893; Washington, DC; I cannot read his occupation; medium tall; medium build; eyes dark brown; hair dark brown; though Olie's picture shows him in US Navy uniform, did he serve?
1930 census shows Olie O Tarrant living at 619 Upshur St., NW, Washington, DC. He rents his house (it probably is an apartment); monthly rental $20.00; has a radio; he is 36 married at age 26, born DC and parents born VA; his occupation is contractor; industry plasterer; he is a veteran of World War I. Miriam M., his wife, is 26 married at 16 born PA as are her parents. Children: Raymond, son, 9, born DC and Helen P., daughter, 5, born DC. Iza P. Powell is his mother-in-law; age 49, born PA as are her parents; she is a corseter (retail)
SS-5 dated 13 May 1940 shows Olie Olston Tarrant residence 1843 Mintwood Place, NW, Washington, DC; employment is TG Saunders, Jr. at 2062 N 14th Street, Arlington, VA; age 46; birth date 20 FEB 1894; birth place Washington, DC; father is George L Tarrant; mother is Ruth Belote
Though I don't have the date of Olie's marriage to May Schmidt, they had a long and happy marriage. As my grandparents, they visited us frequently and in the summer that each grandchild turned 13, we traveled by train to St Louis, MO to spend the summer with "Grandma & Grandpa Tarrant".
His death certificate shows his occupation as "Contractor" and his cause of death to be congestive heart failure. His final resting place is Sunset Mausoleum in St. Louis, MO
- ↑ Birth Certificate, in birth certificate for Olie Olson TARRANT, #70-792 Vital Records Division of the Department of Human Resources, District of Columbia, 21 Feb 1893, Primary quality.
Certified copy in possession of author. Shows: 21 Feb 1893; 515 K St, NE, Washington, DC; male; white; Ruth L Tarrant nee Ruth Blote born Norfolk, VA; George Leonard Tarrant; brick mason; born Norfolk, Va; birth # 8; midwife: Mrs Mary R Clarke, 50 Myrtle St, Washington, DC
- ↑ Death Certificate, in death certificate for Olie O. TARRANT, File No. 72 304650, Missouri State, Division of Health, certified copy in possession of author, 17 Oct 1972, Primary quality.
Certified copy in possession of author; name, sex, date of death, race, age, birth date, county of death, hospital, state of birth, marriage, spouse, ss#, occupation, residence, parents, cause of death, certifier, burial
- ↑ 1930 census, in Ancestry.com. 1930 United States Federal Census. (Name: The Generations Network, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA; Date: 2002;), Database online. Washington, Washington, District of Columbia, ED 324, roll 301, page , image 314.0.
Record for Olie O Tarrant _FOOT: Ancestry.com, 1930 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2002), Database online. Washington, Washington, District of Columbia, ED 324, roll 301, page , image 314.0.
- ↑ 1910 census, in 1910 United States Federal Census, Database online. Tanner Creek, Norfolk, Virginia, ED , roll T624_1639, part , page .
Record for Olie O Tarrent
- ↑ World War I Draft Registration, in Ancestry.com. World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. (Name: The Generations Network, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA; Date: 2005;), Database online. Roll 1570933, DraftBoard 1.
Record for Olie Olston Detarrant
- ↑ Social Security application, in SS-5 Treasury Dept Internal Revenue Social Security, SS#229-16-3401.
Olie Olston Tarrant, 1843 Mintwood Place, NW, Washington, DC, place of business T. G. Saunders, Jr., 2062 N. 14th Street, Arlington, VA, age 46, DOB 20 Feb 1894, place of birth Washington, DC, father George L Tarrant, mother Ruth Belote, male, white, 15 May 1940, signature
- ↑ Social Security Death Index, in Ancestry.com. Social Security Death Index. (Name: The Generations Network, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA; Date: 2007;), Database online.
Record for Olie Tarrant _FOOT: Ancestry.com, Social Security Death Index (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007), Database online.