Facts and Events
Ninian Cloyd was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records: (unless otherwise listed)
- Page 260.--2d June, 1762. James Armstrong's will--To James Armstrong, son to son William; to son William; to Geo. Rutledge, son to Thos. Rutledge; to Elizabeth Rutledge; to Thos. Rutledge and Wm. Armstrong, what remains in Carlany; wife. Executors, Walter Davis and Jas. Bell. Teste: Jno. Coulter, Geo. Marshall, Thos. Rutledge. Proved, June 21, 1763, by Jno. Coulter and Geo. Marshall. Executors refused to execute. Administration granted eldest son William, who qualifies with Abraham Smith, Saml. Cloyd, Ninian Cloyd.
- Page 77.--23d May, 1766. Samuel Cloyd, britches maker, to Nyrian (Narnan) Cloyd, £25, beds, bolsters, blankets, quilts, mares. Teste: Walter and John Davis.
- 1774 - Ninian Cloyd moved to New River - on west side of Back Creek (Now in Pulaski County) 
Information on Ninian Cloyd
From Genealogy of the Cloyd, Basye and Tapp families in America ; with brief sketches referring to the families of Ingels, Jones, Marshall and Smith", A. D. Cloyd, M. D., Omaha, Nebr.
2. NINIAN CLOYD, son of John, 1, when a boy ran away from home in Ireland and came to America. His father and the rest of the family coming later, about 1758. He bought land in Augusta County, Va., in 1761, which he sold in 1765, when his wife, Mary, whose maiden name was Kinkaid, and who was born in Germany (??), signed the deed with him.
Ninian Cloyd in 1785 received a grant to 380 acres of land in Montgomery Co., Va., on west side of New River at the mouth of Back Creek, consideration 2 pounds and hay for settling and adjusting unsettled titles in Washington and Montgomery counties. (Grant Book S, p. 343, Richmond Land office.)
He resided for a time in Montgomery Co., Va., and later went with his sons to Madison Co., Ky., and later to Cumberland Co., Ky., where he died. He was buried on the homestead of his son, Thomas, with whom he spent his last days, near Cloyd 's Landing.
- Children :
- 6: James, b. 2-21-1762 ; m. Rachel Tilford.
- â– 7. Nancy, m. Robert Allen.
- 8. Thomas, m. Nancy Halsey. (other sources say this was Sarah Halsell)
- 9. John, b. 1771 ; m. Mary Reid.
- 10. Sarah, b. 1774; m. (1) James Heard; (2) John Lyons.
Help fund new features!