Facts and Events
Nicholas Hoffman was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Virginia
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 1 - Nicholas Huffman, 85 acres, between the Shenandoah River and Peaked Mountain. October 20,1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 1].
- Page 347.--20th November, 1770. Charles Rush's bond (with Daniel Sink, Peter Miller) as administrator of Nicholas Hoffman.
- Vol. 1 - Page 180 - March 29, 1771. Mary Huffman, orphan of Nicholas Huffman, to be bound to David Magret--He agrees to [pounds]8,10, and a new spinning wheel when she comes of age and teach her to read and write.
- Vol. 1 - Page 287 - March 29, 1771. Elizabeth Huffman, orphan as above [of Nicholas Huffman], to Samuel Mogert--He gives her [pounds]9,16, a new spinning wheel and teachers her to read and write.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records (unless listed otherwise):
- Page 28.--28th June, 1758. Peter Moser's estate settlement, by Michael Mallow, allowed 19th May, 1761--To Cathron Moser, Jno. Hopkins, Danl. Love, James McDole, Jno. Wright, Fardrick Kestor, Jacob Harper, Andrew Arewen, Powl Shaver, Eaform Love, Nickles Hofman, Edward McGary. (2nd vendue held 8th November, 1758?) To Alex. Miller, James McGill, Jno. McCoy. (3d vendue held 3d October, 1760.) Credit by Patterkole money received on Peter Moser's account. From Jno. Madison, from George Caplinger, from Henry Carr, from Captain Cartley (Keartley), Capt. Abraham Smith (patterole money), from Captain Smith, for provender; from Captain Smith, on account of Wm. Wood; from Jno. Hogleer; from Capt. Ephraim Love, for provender and paterrole (patrol) money; from Capt. Smith, patterole money. Paid Jacob Rolman, paid Daniel Smith for clorking, paid Fredk. Opp for schooling, paid Fredk. Easter for salt and store goods, paid Johnson Hill for weaving, paid John Hughes, paid Stephen Conrad, the blacksmith.
- September 1758 - To the Militia of the County of Augusta, and for Provisions furnished by sundry Inhabitants of the said County, viz. - Nicholas Huffman, for provisions, 2, 8 11. [Source: http://vagenweb.org/hening/vol07-09.htm].
- Page 66.--18th August, 1761. George Moser's sale bill recorded--To Nicholas Hufman, Philip Harper. Cash by Smith and Love for Peter Roling. Paid Ephraim Love, Arthur Johnson, Thos. Wilmouth, to nursing deceased 5 weeks when he was under the doctor, and taking care of his creatures.
- Page 213 - Michael Keiler (Kaylor), 150 acres, between the Shenandoah River and the Peaked Mountain. Adjooining Nicholas Huffman, John Lingle, Harberg. March 11, 1773. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 77].