p 601 - Judge Nicholas Brice, a prominent jurist of Maryland was descended from John Brice ... Judge Brice was born, if we take as authority the Magazine of the Maryland Historical Society, April 23, 1771, and died May 9, 1851, marrying on December 5, 1797, Anna Maria Tilghman ... In this way he became connected with the prominent family last named, which must have aided him both socially and politically.
Among his civic activities, the Chronicles of Baltimore notes that, jointly with others, he established in 1795, the Old Library Company of that city, and aided in making the splendid collection of the best works of that day. A few years ago this collection passed to and is preserved in the Maryland Historical Society.
The county Court honored his memory, at his death, and Samuel Moale, a venerable and esteemed member of the bar, contemporary with the deceased, and in intimate association with him for many years, gave an appropriate eulogy. The speaker referred in a touching manner to the subject of his remarks, his high integrity and worth as a public man and a private citizen, and the Court adjoured as a token of respect. Judge Brice was Chief Judge of the Baltimore City Court, and died at his residence on North Charles Street, after an illness of about two years. The Judge had been appointed to the office which he held until his decease, in the year 1817, when the Court over which he presided was established by law. At the time of his death he was over eightey years of age. He was President of the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank of Baltimore for many years, fulfilling his duties with care and fidelity in that responsible office. In his more important public station, as Chief Judge of the Criminal Court of Baltimore city, he discharged his obligations and duties under a conscientious recognition of his responsibility. In his private character, he enjoyed the unqualified respect of his fellow citizens, and left behind him the savor of a life well spent, and to society the memory of an honest man. His funeral services were held at historic old St. Paul's Church.