Facts and Events
Moses Whitesides was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Moses Whitesides's land (Borden Tract SW, 2 Tracts: 1) 270 acres patented in 1750; 2) 148 acres patented in 1754) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 774.--24th May, 1750. Same (From Benjamin Borden) to Moses Whiteside, 270 acres; corner David Edmiston, Paxton's line.
- Page 400.--21st August, 1754. Same (From Borden's Executors) to Moses Whiteside, £4, 145 acres, part of 92,100; corner Moses Whiteside's old place; Samuel McCoskery's line; John Davison's line. Delivered to Wm. Edmondson, 2d June. 1758.
- Page 518.--4th October, 1773. William Gray and Katharin to Moses Whitesides. Delivered to James Love, June, 1780.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 274.--12th May, 1762. Moses Whitesides and Margaret to David Gray, £10, 109 acres, part of Bordin's tract; cor. said Whitesides.
Processioning List of 1748, 1755 & 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settler’s lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 14.--12 April, 1748: Processioners' Returns: Robert Huston and Alex. McClure: Processioned for Wm. Hall, Robert Allison present; 20th January, 1747-8, processioned for John McNab, Baptist McNab present; 20th January 1747-8, processioned for Robert Huston; 28th January, 1747-8, processioned for Charles Hays, Andrew Hays present; processioned for Wm. Givens, Andrew Hays present; 29th January, 1747-8, processioned for John Stevenson, Andrew Stevenson present; 29th January, 1747-8, processioned for Andrew Baxter, Nathaniel Evans present; 29th January 1747-8,
processioned for Alex. McCleary, Moses Whiteside present; 30th January, 1747-8, processioned for Mathew Lyle, John Lyle present; 30th January, 1747-8, processioned for John Gray, Mathew Lyle present; 12th February, 1747-8, processioned for John Pater Sally, Michael Finney present; 10th March, 1747-8, processioned for John Paul, Roger Kays present.
- Vol. 2 - Page 151.--1755: David Dryden and Wm. Hall processioned as follows, viz: For Moses McClure, for Alex. McClure, for Ro. Allison, for Moses Trimble, for Robert Huston, for Samuel Lyle, for David Dryden, for Archd. Alexander, for Thos. McSpadden, for Mathew Lyle, for Thomas Paxton, for George Stevenson, for Robert Allison, for Thos. Paxton, Joyner; for Isaac Taylor; for Jno. Davison, for Jno. Robison, for Reynolds's Orphans, for Nathaniel McClure, for William Hall, for Wm. Caruthers, for Samuel Gray, for John Maky, for Baptist McKnab, for Jno. Lowery, for Widow McCleary, for Thos. Paxton, for Moses Whiteside, for John Stevenson, for Wm. Lusk, for John Allison, for Jno. Dule (Lyle?), for John McClure, for Moses McClure, for Danill Dyle (Lyle?).
- Vol. 2 - Page 286.--1760: Processioned by Samuel Lyle, Wm. Lusk: For Andrew Hall, for David Dryden, for Baptis McNab, for James Thompson, for Nathaniel McClure, for Alex. McClure, for Robert Allison, for Moses McClure, for Wm. Ramsey, for Samuel Lyle, for Reynold's Orphans, for Moses McClure, for John McClure, for Wm. Caruthers, for Thomas Paxton, for Samuel Paxton, for Nathan Peoples, for Robert Allison, for John White, for Archibald Alexander, for Robert Teris (Tevis?), for Thomas McSpadden, for Samuel Gray, for John Maky, for Moses Trimble, for John Maky, for Isaac Taylor, for John Davison, for Moses Whitesides, for Samuel McCroskrey, for Daniel Lyle, for Wm. Lusk, for John Lowrey.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 233.--29th May, 1751. Thomas Paxton, Jr., to John Robison, 160 acres, where Thomas lives on So. River, John Lowry's line; corner Moses Whiteside. Teste: Alexander McMullen, Richard Woods, Thos. Paxton.
- Page 412.--17th December, 1751. Alexander McCleary's will, yeoman-- Wife, Margaret; daughter, Rachel, infant. Executors, Archd. Alexander and Robt. Huston. Teste: Samuel Gray, Moses Whitesides, Thos. McSpeaden. Proved, 20th May, 1752, by all witnesses, and executors qualify.
- Page 347.--20th August, 1754. James ( ) Roseborough and Margaret to John Buchanan, £63, 240 acres purchased from Wm. Beverley 28th February 1749, in Beverley Manor, in patent line. Teste: Moses Whiteside.
- Page 413.--21st August, 1754. Same (From Borden's Executors) to William Gray, £9, 300 acres, part of 92,100; corner Moses Whiteside's new survey; Moses McClure's line and new survey, adjoining Moses' old land. Delivered to Benjamin Gray. 26th September, 1773.
- Page 114.--13th March, 1755. John White, yeoman, to Wm. Caruthers, yeoman, 10 acres adjoining said Wm. Caruthers in Borden's land; corner John White's little survey. Teste: Moses Whiteside, Jacob Gray. Livery by branches of an oak and hiccory.
- Page 222.--21st May, 1755. Borden's executors to Moses McClure, plantationer, £3, 6, 110 acres, part of 92100, Moses McClure's old line, cor. Moses Whitesides, Thos. Paxton's line.
- Page 278.--6th March, 1756. John ( ) Robison and Margrey ( ) to Wm. Carruthers, £43, 160 acres, part of Borden's 92100 and conveyed to John by Thos. Paxton, Jr., 29th May, 1751, on South River. John Lowry's line, cor. Thos. Paxton; cor. Moses Whiteside. Teste: James McKee, John Makey.
- Page 165.--29th January, 1761. Borden's executors to David Gray, £__, 100 acres of 92100; Moses Whiteside's cor. on John Davidson, Samuel McCosky's line..
- Page 168.--29th January, 1761. Same (From Borden's executors) to David Gray, £__, 100 acres of 92100, James Greenlee's cor. on John Davidson's line; Moses Whiteside's line, William Gray's cor.
- Vol. 2 - Page 377.-(1764) -Processioners appointed as follows, viz (1764): Wm. Taylor, Thos. Paxton, Moses Whitesides, Jno. McClung, from North River to Beverley's line between the Great Road to the Court House and South Mountain. Andrew Hall, James Buchanan (son of William), Thos. Berry, James Trotter, from North River to Beverley's line between the Great Road to the Court House, by Cap. Bowyers and the North Mountain.
- Page 348.--10th May, 1768. David Gray and Ruth (mark) to James McCrosky, £18, 100 acres; James Greenlee's corner on John Davidson's line; Moses Whiteside's line; William Gray's corner. Teste: Moses Whitesides. John Carouthers. Benj. Gray. Delivered: Jas. McCoskry, son to James, 27th March, 1788.
- Page 372.--20th April, 1770. John Lowry and Jane ( ) to John Carruthers, £200, 200 acres; corner Thomas Paxton; corner Mackey; corner Edmiston; Moses Trimble's line, the Barren Hills. Teste: Archibald Alexander, Halbert McClure, Moses Whitesides. Delivered: John Carruthers, 15th November, 1774.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 16, 1773. - (223) William Mateer, vice Wm. Kinkead, road overseer. John Caruthers, vice Moses Whitesides, road overseer.
- Page 325.--13th July, 1774. John Bowyer and Magdalene, of Botetourt, and Moses Bennett and Mary to Robert Lusk. Teste: Samuel Lapsley, John Lyle, Robert Stuart. Moses Whitesides.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Ancestry.com. One World Tree (sm). (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., n.d.).
Online publication - Ancestry.com. OneWorldTree [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc.