Moses Thompson, of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, VA
- H. Moses Thompson, of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, VAbef 1719 -
- W. Jane UnknownBef 1728 -
m. Bef. 12 Dec 1745
Facts and Events
Moses Thompson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Moses Thompson's land (Beverley Manor NE/NM, 1,041 acres and 410 acres, 1740) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Moses Thompson's land (Beverley Manor NE, 410 acres, 1740) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 135-140. 23-24 July 1740. William Beverley of Essex County, Gent., to Moses Thompson of Orange County. Lease and release; for ₤25 current money. 1,041 acres, part of 118,490 acres on 6 Sept. 1736 granted to William Beverley, Sir John Randolph of the City of Williamsburg, Knight, John Robinson of King and Queen County and Richard Randolph of Henrico County, Gent., (which sir John Randolph, John Robinson and Richard Randolph (on) 17 Sept. 1738 relinquished to Wm. Beverley)... north side the north branch of Christie's Creek, a great stone or rock on the south side... by the road... corner to Jno. Maxwell... James Caldwell's line... small island in the branch of Christie's Creek... (signed) W. Beverley. Wit: Gibbons Jennings, William Skillirn, John Lewis. 24 July 1740. Acknowledged by Wm. Beverley, Gent. [Relinquishment of dower as above, Beverley to Page] [Orange County Deed Book 3, pg. 43].
- Pages 141-144. 23-24 July 1740. William Beverley, Esqr., of Essex County to Moses Thompson of Orange County. Lease and release; for ₤12.6 current money. 410 acres... corner to Wm. Palmer... on Christie's Creek... George Robinson's corner... land surveyed for Mr. William Russell... (signed) W. Beverley. Wit: John Lewis, Gibbons Jennings, G. Home. 24 July 1740. Acknowledged by Wm. Beverley, Gent. [Relinquishment of dower as above, Beverley to Page] [Orange County Deed Book 3, pg. 43].
Lots of Thompsons in this neighborhood:
Note on Hildebrand Map that land of William Thompson (947 acres, 1744) is adjoining tract of Moses Thompson to the southeast, land of Thomas Thompson (230 acres, 1754) is just to the east, land of John Thompson (120 acres, 1765) is just below land of Thomas Thompson, land of Alexander Thompson (110 acres, 1765) is adjoining land of John Thompson to the east and land of Sarah Thompson (360 acres, 1765) is adjoining Alexander Thompson's land to the east.
Disposition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pg. 170-172. Indenture between Moses Thompson and Adam Thompson of Orange County... sells for ₤18.. 310 acres in part of Orange County called Augusta.. lying in Beverley Manor on North branch of Christies' Creek, adj. James Calewell (Caldwell)).. deeds of lease and release.. (signed) Moses Thompson (seal). Witnesses: Andras. Scott, William Morrison, William Thompson. Recorded 16 July 1744. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 9, Dorman, pg. 20]. (Note: Adam Thompson is a probable brother of Moses Thompson).
- Pg. 168-169. Indenture between Moses Thompson of Orange County.. part called Augusta.. and Colo. James Patton of Springhill in foresd county.. Payment of ₤22.. sells 410 acres.. bounded (by).. William Palmer.. George Robison.. on the D Creek line.. and land surveyed for Mr. William Russell.. to William Palmer.... (signed) Moses Thompson (seal) Witnesses: Marmaduke Stanfield. Released and recorded 26 July 1744. Deed recorded same date. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 9, Dorman, pg. 20].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 69.—20th February, 1745. Moses Thomson, late of County Augusta, to James Edmiston, £13.17 current money Virginia; 100 acres patented 20th August, 1745, to Moses, on east side South River, Shanandoe, on the Red Banks. Witnesses, Thos. Lewis, John Preston, David Edmiston. 15th April, 1746, proved by Lewis and Edmiston. 12th May, 1746, proved by John Preston.
- Page 43.—12th December, 1745. Moses Thom(p)son, of Province of South Carolina, to John Madison, of Augusta, £110 current money; 731 acres, part of 1,041 acres sold to Thomson by Wm. Beverley out of 118,491 acres known as Beverley Manor; corner to Adam Thomson's land; corner to John Ramsey. Witnesses, James Patton, Thos. Chew, Mary Patton, Rebecca Vickers, Henry Downs, Jr. Proved by James Patton, Thos. Chew, and H. Downs. Jr., 14th April, 1746.
- Page 46.—Moses Thomson, late of Augusta County, now an inhabitant of South Carolina, and James Patton, to John Madison, 12th December, 1745. Bond conditioned to defend D. B. 1, p. 43, against the right of dower in said land of Jane Thomson, wife of Moses. Land adjoins James Armstrong and John Ramsey.
Records of Moses Thompson in Augusta County, VA
- Page 388.—1st June, 1751. John Madison, Gent, and Agatha, to Robert McClenachan, Gent, 731 acres; part of 1041 acres sold by Beverley in Beverley Manor, to Moses Thompson, 12th December, 1745; corner Adam Thompson; corner John Ramsey. Teste: Jno. Harvie.