Facts and Events
Moses Bennett was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 286.--9th March, 1769. James Campbell and Lettis (Leths) ( ) to Moses Bennet, £28, 64 acres on North Branch James River, part of 175 acres belonging to James Campbell. Delivered: Robert Lusk, 26th July. 1774.
- Page 120.--17th November, 1770. James Lackey and Elizabeth to Moses Bennet, £33, 110 acres, part of 200 acres on northeast side of North Branch of James River; McClure's line, corner Moses Bennets old survey. Teste: Pat. McCorkle. Delivered: Robert Lusk, 26th July, 1774
Early Land Acquisition in Botetourt County, VA
- Nov 7, 1775 - Thomas Ratlif and wife Mary of Botetourt sold Moses Bennett 124 acres on south side of the James, 75 acres on south side of James, and 4 acres on north side of James [Botetourt Deeds 2, p. 196]
Possible Parentage of Moses Bennett
Moses Bennett is a POSSIBLE, but not proven child of Richard Bennett, who died intestate in Augusta County in 1743. Richard Bennett had two proven children (from Chalkley's records): Benjamin and Sarah, who were young children as their guardian's records prove. In addition, Richard Bennett (as listed in "Bennett vs. McNabb", Chalkley's Vol. 2, May 1780) "had other children besides Benjamin", most likely older than either Benjamin or his sister Sarah.
In Botetourt County in 1775, this Moses Bennett acquired a three tracts (124 acres, 75 acres and 4 acres) on the south side of the James River from Thomas Ratliff and his wife Mary (record listed above). Eleven years later, the same Thomas Ratliff bought 17 acres on the North River from Benjamin Bennett, son of Richard Bennett, listed above, as shown in the following record:
- Sep 3, 1786 - Thomas Ratliff of Rockbridge bought 17 acres from Benjamin Bennett on the northwest side of a branch of the North River, on a line with James McClung [Rockbridge Deeds A, p. 584].
In addition, the following trasactions appear interesting:
- Page 436.--22d October, 1765. John ( ) Taylor and Mary ( ) to Benj. Bennet, £45, 330 acres in Forks of James; corner Michael Finney's old survey. Teste: John Leo.
- Page 125. August 14, 1770. John Taylor and Mary his wife to Thomas Ratliff. 52 pounds. 124 acres on the south side of the James River.
This may provide circumstantial evidence to suggest Moses Bennett as a brother to Benjamin Bennett and one of the "other children" of Richard Bennett not named, but additional research is necessary to prove this relationship.
Records of Moses Bennett in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 424.--12th January, 1771. James Lakey (Leky, Lacky) to John Bowyer, £50, 100 acres, part of 200 purchased from Borden's executors, whereon James now lives, the other part having been sold to Moses Bennet. Delivered: John Bowyer, November Court, 1773.
- Page 325.--13th July, 1774. John Bowyer and Magdalene, of Botetourt, and Moses Bennett and Mary to Robert Lusk. Teste: Samuel Lapsley, John Lyle, Robert Stuart. Moses Whitesides.
Records of Moses Bennett in Rockbridge County, VA
- 1769 - James Campbell and Lettice to Moses Bennett, 64 acres for 92p, North River.
Records of Moses Bennett in Botetourt County, VA
- 15 March 1782 - Ord. that a road be established agreeable to a report made & returned by Moses Bennett, Samuel McClure and John Shields from Hugh Allen big mouth to Isaac Vinsandt's and that Joseph Miller be Surveyor thereof, who with the tithables petitioning for said road is to open & keep the same in repair as the law directs. [Annals Of S W Virginia]
- P. 202. Oct. 20, 1783. James Montgomery to Michael Kimberlane. Consideration 65 pounds. 130 A. on James R. Witnesses: Moses Bennett, James S. and Malcom Allen.
- P. 203. Oct. 20, 1783. James Montgomery to Michael Kimberlane. Consideration 10 shillings. 37 A. hd. of Roaring Run, br. of James. Witnesses: Moses Bennett, James Seaton & Malcom Allen.
- April 11, 1787 - Moses Bennett appointed Overseer of the Road, in place of Hugh Allen. [Annals Of S W Virginia]
Early Marriages in Botetourt County:
- Reynolds, Thomas and Mary Bennett, dau. of Moses Bennett - April 25, 1797
- Pullin, John and Elizabeth Bennett, dau. of Moses Bennett - April 11, 1798
- Cloyd, Joseph and Sarah Bennett, dau. of Moses Bennett - Oct. 12, 1803
- Mallory, Henry and Charlotte Bennett, dau. of Moses Bennett - Feb. 9, 1808
[Source: Early Marriages, Wills, and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, by By Anne Lowry Worrell]
Information on Moses Taylor
From Rootsweb.com query:
November 7, 1999 from firstname.lastname@example.org (Claudette)
BENNETT, COOPER, TAYLOR -
Am looking for parents of Moses Bennett, ca. 1730-1803, died in Botetourt Co. Married Mary Taylor, dau. of John Taylor. They had 8 children: Isaac, James, William, Elizabeth, Carlotte, Mary, Sarah, and my ancestor, Moses 1775-1843. My Moses married Nancy Cooper. Help greatly appreciated; parents have been looked for for 20 years.
Help fund new features!