Facts and Events
Records in Virginia
- Octr. 13, 1761. Fielding Lewis of Spts. Co. and Betty, his wife, to Michael Robinson of sd. Co. £250 curr. Lots 107 and 108 in extension of town of Fredksbg. No witnesses. Dec. 8, 1761. (Note: these lots were later sold to George Washington in 1772 record listed below).
- Oct. 6, 1760. William x Gholson and Susanna, his wife, of Spts. Co., to Edward Herndon of Co. afsd. £50 curr. 300 a., partly in Spts. Co. and partly in Orange Co. Witnesses, W. Robinson, W. Miller, Edwd. Coleman, Anthony Gholson, Jos. Brock, Willm. Smith, Jos. Herndon, Hugh Lenox, Michael Robinson, Jno. Marshall, Peter x Lucas. April 6, 1761.
- Augt. 7, 1764. John Roane of Spts. Co. and Susanna, his wife, to Michael Robinson of Co. afsd. £198 curr. 198 a. in Spts. Co Wm. Tem-pleman, George Thornton, Hudson Muse, Wm. Thornton. Augt. 7, 1764.
- £600 Michael Robinson, guard[ian], to John Martin, orph. of John Martin, with Robert Dudley and John Battaley, sec. Dec. 3, 1764.
- July 6, 1767. Michael Robinson and Mary, his wife, of Spts. Co., to Thomas Colson of same Co. £100 curr. 127 a. in Spts. Co. No witnesses. July 6, 1767.
- Nov. 21, 1771. James Duncanson and Mary, his wife, of Spts. Co., to Michael Robinson, of same Co. £90. Lots 133 and 134 in town of Fredksbg. No witnesses. Novr. 21, 1771.
- £500 William Darnaby, admr. of Mary Owen, deed., with Michael Robinson, sec. Nov. 2, 1771.
- Septr. 18, 1772. Michael Robinson, of Spts. Co., and Esther, his wife, to George Washington, of Fairfax Co., Esqr. £275 curr. Lots 107 and 108 in town of Fredksbg., purchased of Fielding Lewis, etc., as by Deed, Oct. 3, 1761. No witnesses. No date of Record. (Note: this is the record referred to in the Genforum post below).
- Oct. 14, 1772. Marriage to be solemnized between Michael Robinson and Esther Frazer, Agreement. Witnesses, Jas. Marye, Thomas James, Theophilus Theobald. No date of Record. (Note: this appears to be a second marriage for Michael).
- £2000 Michael Robinson, guard[ian], to Mary Fraser, orph. of George Eraser [sic, s/b Frazier], with Thomas James, sec. Apr. 3, 1773. (Note: this record appears to tie-into Genforum Message Board post listed below). 
- Octr. 23, 1773. John Mitchell of Fredksbg., Mercht. (surviving partner of John Mitchell, Hugh Lenox, and Wm. Scott, etc.), and Susannah, his wife, to Fielding Lewis of Fredksbg., Gent. £200 curr. Lot No. 68 in town of Fredksbg. Chs. Dick, Jr.; James Duncanson, Michael Robinson, James Allen, James Somerville. No date of Record.
- Septr. 21, 1775. Alexander Spotswood to Thomas Burbridge, Senr., of Spts. Co. Lease. 100 a. 600 lbs. tob. Michael Robinson, Jas. Lewis, Jno. Munro, Jno. Horner. Oct. 19, 1775.
- Deer.[sic, s/b Dec.] 19, 1776. Michael Robinson of Spts. Co. to Michael Robinson, Junr., of sd. Co. Deed of Gift. 198 a. in Spts. Co. Deer. 19, 1776.
- Oct. 6, 1778. John Lewis of Spts. Co. (son of Col. Fielding Lewis of Fredksbg.), and Elizabeth, his wife, to John Craig of Spts. Co., and Elijah Craig of Orange Co. £400 curr. y3 of that part of the church lot in Fredksbg., ordered sold by act of the assembly, which sd. Lewis purchased from the Vestry, at the sale thereof, etc. Witnesses, Jno. Frazer, Fielding Lewis, Michael Robinson. Feby. 19, 1779.
- Novr. 30, 1778. Charles Bruce of Orange Co., Executor of the last will and testament of Thos. James, late of Fauqueir Co., deed.[dec'd?], of first part; Michael Robinson, Jr.., and Molly, his wife, of Spts. Co., of second part; Richard Price of Orange Co. and Agatha, his wife, of third part; John Wiglesworth of Spts. Co., of fourth part. Whereas, Thos. James, in his lifetime promised the sd. Michael Robinson, the sum of £250, as portion with sd. Molly, as daughter of sd. James; and also having promised sd. Richd. Price the like sum as portion with the sd. Agatha, another daughter of the sd. James, and in order to provide for the payment thereof the sd. James, by his last will and testament, dated April 9, 1772, directed the sale of those lots in town of Fredksbg., commonly called the Long Ordinary by his Executors, and the respective sums pd. the sd. daughters Molly and Agatha, out of the sale thereof; and whereas, a communication being afterwards had between the sd. Michael Robinson, Richd. Price, and Thomas James, concerning the portions of their wives, it was mutually agreed that the sd. Robinson and Price should accept the sd. Lots and Houses in lieu of the sd. portions, in pursuance of the sd. agreement, in the year 1775, intending to confirm that agreement, had a deed drawn for conveying the sd. lots, etc., to the sd. parties, but as some difference had arisen between the sd. James and Michael Robinson, the Elder (father to the sd. Michael), respecting the fortune promised by him to his sd. son on the marriage afsd., the sd. James, in order to force the Robinson, the Elder, to comply with his promise, undertook to convey the afsd. lands to Richard Price, in trust, as to one moiety, to be held for the benefit of the wife of the sd. Michael, Jr., until the sd. Michael, Senr., should comply with his promise, with the understanding that the one retaining the sd. property should pay the other party £250; and whereas, the sd. James died, and by his will, proved in Fauqueir Co., Feby. 26, 1776, appointed Chas. Bruce, Thos. Hord, Gerrard Banks, and John James, Executors, the sd. Charles Bruce alone accepting the Executorship, etc., the sd. Michael Robinson, the Elder, having complied with his agreement aforementioned, etc., the sd. Robinson, Jr., and Price, being intitled to the sd. lots, etc., agree for the sale thereof to the sd. John Wiglesworth for the sum of £550 curr., and hereby convey the same, etc. Witnesses, John Steward, Michael Robinson, Stapleton Crutchfield, James Hackley, Richard Young, John Hawkins. July 15, 1779.
- May 16, 1782. - Michael Robinson and Esther, his wife, of Spts. Co. to their son-in-law, Thomas Magee, of same county. Deed of Gift. 207 a. in Spts. Co., etc. Thomas Allen, Robt. Smith, Hezekiah Ellis, Wm. Price, Abraham Simons.
- Feby. 14, 1783. Michael Robinson of St. Geo. Par., Spots. Co. to his his son, Michael Robinson, Jr. Deed of Gift. 5 negroes. Witnesses, Danl. Branham, Jno. Wiglesworth. Feby. 20, 1783.
- March 18, 1783. Michael Robinson of St. Geo. Par., Spots. Co. to his son, William Robinson. Deed of Gift. 2 negroes. Witnesses, Edwd. Darnaby, Thomas True. March 20, 1783.
- Septr. 27, 1787. John Robinson and Benjamin Robinson, sons of Michael Robinson, late of Spots. Co., deed. [prob. dec'd], to their sister Mary, wife of Thos. Magee of Spots. Co. Whereas, sd. Michael Robinson in and by his last will and testament dated Jany. 6, 1704 [sic, s/b 1784], among other things mentioned his delivering to Richd. Young a land warrant for 15,246 a. to locate, etc., and desired the same should be divided and disposed of to his children and grandchildren, therein specially devised to some 1000, and to others 500 a. each, amounting to abt. 6000 a., the remainder of the warrant being abt. 9246 a. he devised in fee simple to sd. John and Benjamin, and whereas, Thomas Magee of same co. of Spots, having intermarried with Mary, dau, of the sd. testator and sister of the sd. John and Benjamin," and they knowing well that it was the full intent and desire of the sd. Michael, their father, to devise as well to his son-in-law, Thos. Magee, 1000 a. of the aforesaid tract, etc., in consequence of which the sd. John and Benjamin convey to the sd. Thos. Magee, 1000 a., a part of the sd. tract when surveyed and laid off, etc., etc. Witnesses, Henry Pemberton, Jas Smock, Thomas Pritchett. Novr. 6, 1787.
- June 24, 1799. Michael Robinson, Jr., and Nancy, his wife, and Henry Robinson and Elizabeth, his wife, to James Lewis, Sr. $490 to sd. Henry Robinson, in hand pd., etc. 98 a., part of a tract which sd. Michael and Henry Robinson are entitled to under the will of the grandfather, Michael Robinson, deed.[dec'd], in Spots. Co., etc., etc. Edwd. Herndon, Wm. Robinson, Dabney Herndon. July 2, 1799.
- From Genforum Message Board:
- Esther and Michael Robinson sold a home in Fredericksburg in 1772 to George Washington, and he bought it for his Mother, Mary Ball Washington.
- [Citation: http://genforum.genealogy.com/va/spotsylvania/messages/197.html].
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 .
1. MICHAEL1 ROBINSON,(1) was born June 20, 1722 in poss. England /
Ireland, and died February 1784 in Spotsylvania Co., VA. He married (1) MARY MARTIN December 30, 1742 in Spotsylvania Co., VA, daughter of HENRY MARTIN and JANE ?SAMUEL?. She was born Abt. 1717 in Spotsylvania Co., VA, and died bef. 1772. He married (2) ESTER FRAZIER (WIDOW) October 14, 1772 in Spotsylvania Co., VA.