John Michael Probst, of South Branch, Potomac River
Facts and Events
||John Michael Probst, of South Branch, Potomac River
Michael Probst was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 477.--29th May, 1761. Mary Wood, of Frederick, and James and Moses Green, of Culpeper, to Michael Proops, £30, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack; cor. tract sold to Mark Swadley, 415 acres, part of 1470 acres patented to Robert Green, 25th June 1747. Teste: Mark ( ) Swately. Delivered as above. [Source: Chalkley's, Vol. 3].
- Page 191 - Michael Proops, 72 acres, South Branch Potomac. (abt. December 1771). [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 69].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 477.--18th December, 1769. Michael Proops and Catherine to Henry Stone, Ludwick Wagoner, Mark Swadley and Christian Roleman commissioners for the members of the congregation of the Lutheran Church at the South Fork of Potowmack, 5 shillings, 3-1/2 acres, part of 415 acres whereon Michael now lives for use of the congregation forever. Teste: Leonard ( ) Proopst, Robert Davis, Ludwig Adam Wagener, William Davis.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 30.--28th June, 1758. George Mouse's estate settlement, by Michael Mallow. Allowed 19th May, 1761. Sold to Cateren Moser, Jacob Cutman, Chas. Deavier, Seasor (Caesar) Brown, Henry Banener. Second vendue, 8th November, 1758, to Felty Mack, Jno. Arewen, Thos. Peterson, Robt. Mines, Andrew Arewen. Third vendue, 1st October, 1760, to Geo. Caplinger, Michael Props. Received from Geo. Madison for Providen (provender). Received from Capt. Smith, patterole money. Received from Capt. Smith for provender. Received from Abraham Smith, patterole money. Received from Frank Cartley. Received from Henry Fletcher. Paid Gabriel Gile for horse hunting. Paid John McCoy. Paid Andrew Smith for spinning. Three days driving cows from Trout Rock to Cartley's Fort.
- Page 456.--29th May, 1761. Mary Wood, of Frederick, James and Moses Green, of Culpeper, to Joseph Skidmore, Jr., £50.15, on North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, 203 acres, part of 660 acres patented to Robert Green, 25th June, 1747. Teste. Mathew Patton, Michael Prop (Propps), Frederick Easter (Hister). Delivered: Andrew Johnston, June, 1767.
- Page 330.--24th March, 1764. Henry Horse's vendue bill recorded-- To Charles Kilpatrick, Jno. Water, Jno. Malkem, Jas. Reyburn, Danl. Love, Chas. Dever, Edward McGarry, Wm. Dyer, Sarah Nare, Ezrah Shipman, Roger Dyer, Jno. Dunkell, Michael Props, Benj. Scott, Peter Nare, Elizabeth Wilfong, Henry Wagener, Christian Goose, Michael Rhine (Ryan), Adam Roudenboush, Michl. Mallow, James Knox, George Scott, Peter Smith.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).
Help fund new features!