Methusalem 'Matthew' Griffith
Facts and Events
Methusalem Griffith was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Migration to Virginia
- Records show that three men, Mark Evans, Mathusalem Griffith and Tobias Bright arrived in the area (Roanoke Valley) prior to 1744 from the Conojacular Valley along the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. Griffith settled on Peter's Creek and Mason's Creek between what is now Roanoke and Salem; Bright settled on the northfork of the Roanoke. [Source: "A Place Apart: A Brief History of the Early Williamson Road and North Roanoke Valley Residents and Places", by Helen R. Prillaman].
Will & Estate Records
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 239.--11th September, 1749. Mathusalem Grime's will, of Round Oak, farmer--Wife, Lucretia; youngest son, John; three sons; eldest son, Morrice Grime, 300 acres on Meason's Creek by the Lick; executors, son Morrice and wife; son, Benjamin; daughter, Elizabeth Griffie, under 21; daughter, Hannah, infant; daughter, Lucretia, under 25. Teste: Thomas Tosh, Tasker Tosh, Thos. Acres. Proved, 22d May, 1750, by Thos. Acres, and others to be summoned. (Note: obviously the surname was mis-read).
- Page 358.--29th May, 1751. Lucretia Griffith's bond as executrix of Mathusalem Griffith, with sureties Erwin Patterson and Tasker Tosh.
- Page 433.--16th August, 1751. Methesalem Griffith's appraisement, by Henry Brown, Jr., Neal McNeal, Wm. Carvin. Due by Malcom Campbell, Benj. Halter. Henry Brown, Sr., Isaac Taylor, Alex. Ingrem, Geo. Robinson. Edward McDonald.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 29, 1751. - (189) Lucretia Griffith, admx. of her husband, is since married to James Burk.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 17, 1753. - (444) Lucretia Griffith, Admx. of her husband, but now married to James Burk.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 89.--Sale bill of above estate, 13th December, 1744, purchasers, viz: James Price, Wm. Akers, Pat Shirkey, Chas. Ewing, John Thomas, Mary Akers, Nicholas Harford, Mary Kinder, Wm. Armstrong, Wm. Carson, Archibald Grimes, Wm. Mills, James Burk, Bryan Cuff, Wm. Armstrong, Henry Brown, Daniel Creeley, Pat Shirkey, Mark Cole, George Barberer, Simon Akers, Peter Kinder, Joseph Love, Methusalem Griffith, Tobias Bright, Jno. McFall, Wm. March, Mark Cole, Jasper Terry. Henry Brown, Jr., Wm. Terry, Stephen Rentfro. 1740 - The estate of Daniel Monahan, Dr. Cash paid Joseph Tate. Cash paid Edmond Cartledge. 1743--Cash paid Andrew Gaughagin.
- Vol. 1 - November 19, 1746. - (131) Road ordered from Ridge dividing waters of New River from waters of So. Br. Roanoak to end in a road that leads over the Blue Ridge--James Cambell and Mark Evans, overseers. Old Mr. Robinson and his sons, Thos. Wilson and his two sons, Wm. Beus and his brother, all the Ledfords, Saml. Brown, Henry Brown, Saml. Niely, James Burk, James Bean, Francis Estham, Ephraim Voss and servants, Francis Summerfield, John Mason, Tasker and Thomas Tosh, John and Peter Dill, Uriah Evans's sons, Mathuselah Griffiths and sons, John Thomas, Peter Kender.
Information on Methusalem Griffith
The information printed below following this introduction is taken from a Welsh Bible that was used to record the family of Methusalem Griffith.
- Title Page ( in Welsh language)....
- T BIBL
- A R
- NEWYDD Printiedig yn da or lundain, gan
- Charles Bill, a Thomas Newcomb.
- Printwyr I Ardderchoccaf
- Fawrhydi y Brenin ar Frenhines
- 1689 - Here follows an account of Times of the Births of Children Born to Mathusalem Griffith of the County of Bucks late living - Lucrecia Griffith his wife:
- Morrie was b. anno in Aug. 2 day on Mon.
- Elizabeth was b. the 6 or 8 day of Sept. 1734
- Hanna was b. 16 February in 173..
- Benjamin was b. November 18 - day Anno 1739
- Lucrecia, daughter of Mathew Griffith and Lucrecia, his wife...June 18 day Anno 1742 day of week near midnight
- John son of M b. ....the day of December.....
- Elizabeth the daughter of James Wilson and Lucrecia his wife b. July 13 in the year 1761
- Ann their daughter was born on June 3 1764
- Lucrecia their daughter was born on January 17 1767
- Mary their daughter was born June 4 1769
- Benjamin Wilson their son was born Sept 6 1773
- Jesse their son was b. February 10 1776
- Hannah their daughter was born June 11 1779
- Mathusalem Griffith was married to Lucretia Rees in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 2 Feb 1730 at Christ Church . The listing shows her name as Lyky Reece.